Predictions for remaining 4 bands...

Yngvai X said:
None of the remaining bands have played progpower before though.

Matt, Glenn hasn't announced yet if he booked that #1 slot band or if he got a returning band for the other headlining spot, so you can't rule out Angra, which is WAY more likely than a senseless dreaming Helloween with Kai and Kiske reunion (Sorry, just my personal opinion).

I also think that Angra is more likely than Demons and Wizards, though I would not be surprised at all to see D&W at ProgPower =) It'd be awesome!

Creeps said:
Why is everyone so hung up on seeing Kiske w/ Helloween? Their albums are amazing and the Dark Ride is one of the best metal albums of that year !! One, Kiske says he's through with metal. Two there's Gamma Ray. Looks like everyone's kinda moved on. Everyone makes it sound that if Helloween was headlining with the current lineup you'd complain and that's absurd.

While I don't think Kiske is possible - Kai Hansen w/Helloween certainly is. A festival like Progpower is the perfect place for a one-off type show like this. I also believe that the current Helloween line up (while still having drawing power), does not have the drawing power (or perhaps "excitement factor" is a better way of putting it) to be considered a number 1 band over Stratovarius. But a Helloween with Kai Hansen does. That's just my opinion.

Anyway, here's my personal prediction:

1. Demons & Wizards (2 albums under their belt or not - I think this would be a fantastic number one choice based on star power alone, and yes, perhaps Hansi or Jon could learn an Iced Earth or a Blind Guardian song or two for the fest as well). I can't imagine too many people not being stoked about this potential choice. Plus, the timing is right with their 2nd album due out this year prior to the festival.

3. Masterplan - seems like a logical choice for the top "true Prog band" slot at this year's festival.

8. Pyramaze - For you Zod.

10. Sure, why not, something like Magnitude 9 would fit nicely here.

Anyway, my predictions for the next four bands....

Riverside is out.... so I guess I'll put down for saturday openers : Magnitude 9 and Symphorce...

Now, for the friday headliners.... Masterplan is one of them without a doubt in my opinion. The other one maybe Demons and Wizards, or, if Glenn were to get a returning band, it would most definetly be Angra. I think Shaman (or Shaaman now because apparently their name will be changed to that) is ruled out...

With 3 relatively unknown bands announced for Friday and 3 very well known bands announced for Saturday, it will be interesting to see what the remainder of Friday's bands will be. Logic would dictate that Friday's headliner be huge. I do like what I have heard from Friday's bands - all nice new discoveries for me.

Friday: Crimson Glory reunion (headline) and Mercenary.

Saturday : Pyramaze (first band) and Magnitude 9.

Dark One said:
While I don't think Kiske is possible - Kai Hansen w/Helloween certainly is. A festival like Progpower is the perfect place for a one-off type show like this. I also believe that the current Helloween line up (while still having drawing power), does not have the drawing power (or perhaps "excitement factor" is a better way of putting it) to be considered a number 1 band over Stratovarius. But a Helloween with Kai Hansen does. That's just my opinion.
Agreed.

Dark One said:
1. Demons & Wizards (2 albums under their belt or not - I think this would be a fantastic number one choice based on star power alone, and yes, perhaps Hansi or Jon could learn an Iced Earth or a Blind Guardian song or two for the fest as well).
Hell yeah. I think Hansi doing some Dark Saga or Something Wicked era IE would be a blast!

Dark One said:
3. Masterplan - seems like a logical choice for the top "true Prog band" slot at this year's festival.
I'd be really surprised if it's not Masterplan.

Dark One said:
You are too kind. Interestingly, it seems like Pyramaze is a band a lot of folks want to see.

Dark One said:
I think they would be a nice fit here, and I'd love to see them. Though it would be a surprise that they'd be a #1 and Circus Maximus a #2.

Zod

Dark One said:

hmmmm Masterplan doesn't sound prog for me at all, although they still rock ;)

Greetings!

PS: I don't see myself attending this year ... unless Ayreon/Star One, SymphonyX, or Sonata Arctica is on the lineup.... but we all know that's not gonna happen.

Hello everyone,

First I like to say “Thanks” to everyone that mentioned Magnitude 9 as one of the bands that they would like to see at ProgPower this year. I was truly flattered to find Magnitude 9 listed on so many people’s lists especially after letting so many people down for last year’s ProgPower.

In the interest of not building up false hopes for this year’s show, I regret to say that Magnitude 9 will not be performing at ProgPower 6. I know that both Corey Brown and I would love to play the show with either Magnitude 9 or our other band Section 16. To my knowledge, neither Rob or Corey were approached by Glenn regarding Magnitude 9 for this year’s show and Section 16 is still too unknown for this type of show.

I do hope that after last year’s issue, that there is still a bridge that has not been burnt between Magnitude 9 and Glenn. I also hope that one day, Magnitude 9 will perform live at a ProgPower festival!

Thanks again,
Ian Ringler
Magnitude 9
Section 16
:headbang:
P.S. Currently both Magnitude 9 and Section 16 are working on new material.

Section16 said:
Hello everyone,

First I like to say “Thanks” to everyone that mentioned Magnitude 9 as one of the bands that they would like to see at ProgPower this year. I was truly flattered to find Magnitude 9 listed on so many people’s lists especially after letting so many people down for last year’s ProgPower.

In the interest of not building up false hopes for this year’s show, I regret to say that Magnitude 9 will not be performing at ProgPower 6. I know that both Corey Brown and I would love to play the show with either Magnitude 9 or our other band Section 16. To my knowledge, neither Rob or Corey were approached by Glenn regarding Magnitude 9 for this year’s show and Section 16 is still too unknown for this type of show.

I do hope that after last year’s issue, that there is still a bridge that has not been burnt between Magnitude 9 and Glenn. I also hope that one day, Magnitude 9 will perform live at a ProgPower festival!

Thanks again,
Ian Ringler
Magnitude 9
Section 16
:headbang:
P.S. Currently both Magnitude 9 and Section 16 are working on new material.

Hey Ian!! Nice to see you over here at the forum....

It's a bummer though that you guys are not coming, I was really really considering you guys and was looking forward a lot to see Magnitude 9 in Atlanta... I guess I will wait until next year...

Cheers!

Milton

A Kai/Helloween reunion would be great for the top spot, especially if Andi Deris would agree to go onstage with PC69 and do a few of their older songs!

I'm really hoping for a female-fronted band for one of the remaining slots. If either Within Temptation or Edenbridge are playing I'd walk to Atlanta if I had to!

Rezz said:
A Kai/Helloween reunion would be great for the top spot, especially if Andi Deris would agree to go onstage with PC69 and do a few of their older songs!

I'm really hoping for a female-fronted band for one of the remaining slots. If either Within Temptation or Edenbridge are playing I'd walk to Atlanta if I had to!

I love Edenbridge - great stuff. I'm still waiting for the new double disc import of their new album to get to me from overseas... *taps foot impatiently*.

Dark One said:

Anyway, here's my personal prediction:

1. Demons & Wizards (2 albums under their belt or not - I think this would be a fantastic number one choice based on star power alone, and yes, perhaps Hansi or Jon could learn an Iced Earth or a Blind Guardian song or two for the fest as well). I can't imagine too many people not being stoked about this potential choice. Plus, the timing is right with their 2nd album due out this year prior to the festival.

I think Helloween would be a bigger draw then Stratovarius. There are some Loooonnnng time fans that may have never gottent he chance (like me) to see them on that Headbanger's Ball tour back in the 80s or on these "teaser" 12-16 date US tours that happen every 5 years.

Demons & Wizards only have 1 album out so far, so where'd you get the 2nd one and can I have a copy?

Wait....if Helloween have played in the US, that means they're not going to be at the festival....or have they played in the US?

Barking Pumpkin said:
Wait....if Helloween have played in the US, that means they're not going to be at the festival....or have they played in the US?

They have played in the U.S. both recently and years ago; however, this does NOT preclude a band from playing Progpower. It may hurt the "exclusivity" factor of a band making their North American debut and what not, but their drawing power and relative "underground" status would certainly qualify them the play the fest without a doubt.

Oh.....

I just realized that Glenn didn't say whether or not the #1 band was a US debut.

*hopes that doesn't cut Ayreon's chances*

I agree that an Ayreon one-off show would be a stellar number one choice. But the difficulty of getting that many high caliber musicians on one small stage at the same time would be next to impossible. It would be difficult even at one of the big European festivals, though their chances would certainly be better.

Now, if Arjen Lucassen were to hire session musicians for such a show, it could be easier to get a deal done; however, those "session musicians" would most likely need a lot more incentive than a one-off show to make it work. As Glenn says though "Never say never".