Predictions?

In regards to the announcement of next year's roster, I expect:

1. Huge applause by some
2. Huge indifference by some
3. Huge number of people looking at each other and saying "Who?"
4. Huge number of people second guessing my selections by asking "What the fuck was he thinking?"

Of course, this prediction remains the same year in/year out.

1. Huge applause by some
4. Huge number of people second guessing my selections by asking "What the fuck was he thinking?"

5. A number of people going 'wait.. was that band on my sponsor list?'

-----

Virgin Steele and Primal Fear are the two bands I'm most looking forward to (for the main show), and the two I think will get the best love at the end of their set.

I think that too many guys are going to display just how horny they are when Floor goes on stage with some whistles or something.

I predict that there will not be one lackluster show.

You're forgetting Firewind in that formula as well

I did forget them, didn't I?

Sonata Arctica is pretty reliable as well.

Although I don't think this lineup is the strongest in terms of starpower, it may be the strongest in terms of so many good live bands. After Forever is supposed to be good live, as is Threshold and Redemption. There's a good chance this could be the greatest PP ever after the fact.

Hey Zod,

For some reason we usually see eye to eye musically but even I think that Firewind is going to be awesome! I have been able to listen to the CD repeatedly which is unusual for me when it comes to power metal. It will be interesting to see if you can pull yourself out of the room once they start. Gus G. is going to tear it up!

I missed PP2 at the last minute, not a fan of Edguy, but their performance was very good, but Brainstorm and Tad Morose totally slayed! I wasn't interested in them until they started playing and won me over big time!

I think that Freak Kitchen is going to be one of the highlights of the weekend and Krucible will make a huge splash. I also think that Redemption will surprise people! I'm not a Primal Fear fan, but I do agree that they will be one of the huge shows of the weekend! I have a strong feeling that the All-Star Jam is going to RULE! I mean, LIVE karaoke with Pagan's Mind as the backing band and a bunch of great vocalists?!?!? Holy shit, how can you go wrong with that? Plus, it is different twist for PP and that's cool too.

For some reason we usually see eye to eye musically but even I think that Firewind is going to be awesome! I have been able to listen to the CD repeatedly which is unusual for me when it comes to power metal. It will be interesting to see if you can pull yourself out of the room once they start. Gus G. is going to tear it up!
You may be right. I actually bought the last disc, but tired of it in a week. I find them fairly generic, and their Whitesnakism to be a bit overt for my liking. That said, I'll give them a shot.

Zod

I wish someone could explain Virgin Steele to me--they are my metal equivalent to PoS. I listen, and I am not moved.
:erk:

I anticipate hitting the bar and the toilet right after Raintime plays. and not setting foot inside until the lights go down on VS.

<snip>

In addition, I believe Redemption will surprise everyone and I think Ray Alder will blow some people away that are on the fence about Redemption or Prog Metal in general. I'm predicting that Redemption will earn most people's respect at this year's show. I can honestly see this band becoming a house favorite along the same lines as Circus Maximus.

~Brian~

I 'like' Redemption, wouldn't say i'm a huge fan... but that being said... i saw them in the Bay Area in March of this year and while impressed with the band, I was not impressed with Alder. I've seen Fates Warning quite a few times and have always enjoyed his voice live... but to watch him with Redemption at that show was disappointing. There are quite a few on this board that were there and can confirm. He was bent over, reading lyrics off papers on the floor for probably 80-85% of the show... i'm not talking like the singer from Savage Circus last year who looked down occasionally, Ray was doing it almost constantly. And I was told by Bear that when he went to DT/IE/Redemption, he was doing it there also. I'm sorry, but it's not like he's a guest lead singer, he's their full-time lead singer, and he's been in this business for 3 decades... learn the f'in lyrics. I hope Nick has kicked him in the ass and makes sure he has for Progpower. I really hope he has because I want to see him be a live singer, be energetic (he was a statue for most of the show i saw), and really look like he's enjoying himself . He was even up there apologizing to everyone for reading the lyrics, admitting that he fucked up and didn't practice. :zombie:

But, barring that, they sound very good live... and i'm predicting that everyone will be talking about their keyboardist for YEARS to come. This guy is absolutely amazing (assuming they have the same guy in the band now that they did in March). :worship:

Hmm... this will be an interesting one. I love Floor's voice. I also love Floor... but I digress. I can see this show going any one of a number of ways. I'm rooting for them.

Whoa there sparky.:loco:

Having been to all but the first ProgPowers, I put four performances above all others:

Angel Dust (PPII)
Edguy (PPIII)
Tad Morose (PPV)
Brainstorm (PPV)

The mere fact that you've dared to speak such blasphemy has intrigued me. I just moved Firewind from pure bar time, to catching the first few songs of their set and giving them a chance. If they suck, you owe me a drink.:heh:

Zod

Apparetly you're like me and was blown away by Brainstorm and Tad Morose at PPV. I wouldn't recommend chalking up Firewind as bar time though, due to the energy that's in their music. I really think they have the potential of tearin' it up. I hope the don't let me down! :)

~Brian~

1. Huge applause by some

Maybe. But by the time people check out the band's catalog, give their music a try, and read up on them...then even the "Indifferent" people are ready to rock, the "Who?" people are stoked, and the "WTF?" people are new converts.

By the time the last note is played at PPUSA IX, you'll have a room full of people shouting "Huzza! Glenn did it again!"

You can't lose, really.

I find them fairly generic, and their Whitesnakism to be a bit overt for my liking. Zod

I have to own up and say that I haven't heard anything from Firewind's latest disc, but I do own the first three. With that said, there's no traces of Whitesnake on those first three discs. I know that Glenn has compared their most recent singer to a Coverdale clone, but like I said, I haven't heard him. I recommend listening to Burning Earth to get a good dose of classic Firewind. :kickass:

~Brian~

Obviously different tastes make the world go 'round - but just out of curiosity, do you know what you've heard by them?

Jason

That's very true. I must admit I wasn't a huge VS fan before I interviewed David DeFeis. However, my research and attentive listening to their back catalog led me to conclude that these cats know what they're doing and have it in them to slay an audience. If attitude counts for anything, DeFeis will be crowned king of PPUSA VIII.

1. Huge applause by some
SAVATAGE, NIGHTWISH, NOCTURNAL RITES, MINDFLOW(hoping), ANUBIS GATE, PRETTY MAIDS

SPHERIC UNIVERSE EXPERIENCE, ANDROMEDA and Others

PATHOSRAY, VOLBEAT, DIABLO SWING ORCHESTRA

I wish someone could explain Virgin Steele to me--they are my metal equivalent to PoS. I listen, and I am not moved.
quote]

I've made this speech before, and as the other Dark One says, different tastes and all that. However, I think some folks are turned off by VS's older material, which was spotty, or by the Manowar comparisions (with which I don't agree - they really aren't much like Manowar, except for some subject crossover).

VS gets by on stunning songwriting and the amazing voice of DeFeis. Here are some songs that really showcase the range and the riffs. If you don't like any of them, you don't know mus . . . I mean, you obviously have different tastes, and perhaps should skip the band.

Marriage of Heaven & Hell Pt 1:
  • Blood and Gasoline
  • I Will Come for You
Age of Consent:
  • Cry for Pompeii
  • Lion in Winter
  • Tragedy
Invictus:
  • Through Blood and Fire
  • Whisper of Death
  • Dominion Day
House of Atreus Pt II:
  • Wine of Violence
  • Wings of Vengeance
Steve in Philly

ProgPower disclaimer - I try to never miss a band completely. There have been bands that weren't to my taste, but in my 5 years of attending, this festival has proven to me that I need to give bands a chance. Some of the best performances are ones that I might have skipped if I didn't have an open mind. To each his own etc etc, but I always try and catch some of a set to give a band a chance.

Maybe. But by the time people check out the band's catalog, give their music a try, and read up on them...then even the "Indifferent" people are ready to rock, the "Who?" people are stoked, and the "WTF?" people are new converts.

Interest in the festival always increases as people get to know the bands they are going to see. I know it works that way for me. I usually like 2-3 of the bands, and buy one CD from each of the rest. By the time it's all said and done, I usually like 5-7 bands.

That definitely happened this time around. I liked Sonata and Firewind and sorta liked Pagan's Mind.

Now I also like Threshold, Raintime, and Primal Fear and sorta like After Forever. So I like five bands and sorta like two others. Good enough for me.

I think we're in for a lot of slaying this year! This is easily my favorite lineup since I've been going..

Vanden Plas will kill:kickass:, Redemption with kill:headbang:, Virgin Steele will kill:kickass:, Primal Fear will kill kill kill:headbang:, After Forever will kill kill kill kill:kickass:, Sonata Arctica will kill many many more:kickass::kickass:...

There will will only be two people alive by the end of the festivities....:lol: