Predictions?

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
I believe, based on style and catalog, Primal Fear and Virgin Steele will get huge reactions. Mind you, neither band falls into my personal Top 25. However, I think both of these bands are built for ProgPower.

Virgin Steele will sell a ton of discs at ProgPower. I think they've been one of the best kept secrets in the genre, for a very long time. I also suspect, because the band doesn't usually get to see this size crowd on their home soil, they will be pumped and really deliver the goods.

Primal Fear is kind of an obvious pick. However, I think their performance will go over even better than most expect. Assuming their energy level is solid, they should slay.

What say you?

Zod

It depends on what Virgin Steele plays and how heavy they are live. If it is songs of their latest cd and they wimpy like that live I will be ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, but if they can mustard up the energy to be like their old days then HELL YES!!!

I have no fears that Primal Fear will deliver the metal goods live!!!

Vanden Plas are my most-anticipated band going into the festival, and I'll be surprised if their show doesn't turn out to be the highlight of the weekend.

Threshold are a band I think are going to impress a lot of people, and since an hour really isn't enough time to do justice to their catalog, I really hope they get to play the showcase next year ala Freak Kitchen if they get a good reaction.

It depends on what Virgin Steele plays and how heavy they are live. If it is songs of their latest cd and they wimpy like that live I will be ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, but if they can mustard up the energy to be like their old days then HELL YES!!!
In respect to their last CD, I rather enjoy the first five songs. However, after that, I agree. The disc falls off a cliff in terms of quality and energy.

Vanden Plas are my most-anticipated band going into the festival, and I'll be surprised if their show doesn't turn out to be the highlight of the weekend.

Threshold are a band I think are going to impress a lot of people...
With respect to the returning bands, going over well is just a given... it's why they're returning.

Zod

PRIMAL FEAR is going to slay!!! Saw them at BW&BK a few years back and there were a lot of people pleasantly surprised...they were definitely on that night...they also kicked ass on the short lived Metal Gods tour... I thought they were the best band all night. While I will miss Tom on guitar, Henny will due just fine... the thing that always pushes these guys over the top for me is the amount of fun they have on stage and the ease at which they pull off their aggressive music with... Besides Vanden Plas, these guys will be my most anticipated act all weekend!:headbang:

I predict that:

- The place will go nuts when Redemption launches into "Sapphire".
- If Freak Kitchen brings shirts with them this year, they'll sell out.
- The all-star jam will destroy our souls. I can't wait for this.
- I'll get a horrible headache from not eating (this is an easy prediction as it happens every year).
- My annual hug from Babs will be among the highlights of the weekend.
- I won't get a chance to talk to all the people I want to, since I hate to miss any of a band's performance.
- Mary will take nine billion awesome pictures that we'll never get up onto the internet because we both are just too busy (again, this is a given. Sadly).
- We'll spend enough money at the Laser's Edge table for Ken to put another addition onto his house.
- I'll fall down on the Stairs Of Death.
- Getting up for an 8 AM flight on Sunday is going to suck.
- The weekend will be awesome fun and go by way too fast.

dt

I agree with Zod - Primal Fear with rip!! PP is becoming so big, it looks like almost all acts seem to find another gear for their set there. I've been preaching this since July, but I BELIEVE Krucible :OMG: will still be talked about throughout the festival and after (maybe After Forever:heh:)!!

Chris :headbang:

I believe, based on style and catalog, Primal Fear and Virgin Steele will get huge reactions. Mind you, neither band falls into my personal Top 25. However, I think both of these bands are built for ProgPower.

Virgin Steele will sell a ton of discs at ProgPower. I think they've been one of the best kept secrets in the genre, for a very long time. I also suspect, because the band doesn't usually get to see this size crowd on their home soil, they will be pumped and really deliver the goods.

Remember when practically all the folks who witnessed Rage at Progpower IV indicated how good they were but so many other folks didn't watch? Having Virgin Steele in the middle of the lineup instead of as a headliner should help alleviate that "Rage effect" and allow many folks on the fence to give them a shot. Obviously they are two completely different bands, but I think their respective situations coming into Progpower for the first time are quite similar in terms of being longstanding acts with vast catalogues that haven't been fully explored by so many of the attendees.

The one major difference, as you noted, is that Virgin Steele will be on their home soil and should add even more fuel to the inspiration fire. I think Virgin Steele is in for a surprise just as we all are as well. I absolutely can't wait.

Zod said:
Primal Fear is kind of an obvious pick. However, I think their performance will go over even better than most expect. Assuming their energy level is solid, they should slay.

I can say I've seen them live up close and personal at Wacken before and was wholly unimpressed with the performance (though I am definitely a fan of Ralf Scheepers vocals ever since he was in Gamma Ray). Since you're looking forward to their performance, I'll be more than happy to give 'em a mulligan. If they bring the energy, I'm sure it could be plenty of fun.

Jason

I believe that RAINTIME is gonna destroy, and conquer, and that KRUCIBLE will be talked about for a long long time.

Well, historically, the bands that come off best live are the ones with the fewest frills. Straight ahead, aggressive power metal bands that don't rely on keyboards too much. That always seems to come off better live than progressive noodling or symphonic power metal.

I'm thinking Tad Morose and Brainstorm from PPV as the best examples. Virgin Steele and Primal Fear definitely are in that category.

It's obvious that the lineup is very solid this year. Each year that I've been there seems to be a band that kind of shines over the others or surprises most people. I've agreed with it some in years past and then some years I've been like...I don't think so.

With that said, I'm thinking After Forever will tear the house down on Saturday night. In my opinion, this is a band that's been overdue to play this festival, so I think they'll come to prove themselves.

I believe Firewind will be really well received and will put on the caliber of show that Brainstorm did several years ago. I agree with you Zod that Primal Fear will tear it up as well, so it will be similar to when Brainstorm and Tad Morose played during the same night at PPV.

In addition, I believe Redemption will surprise everyone and I think Ray Alder will blow some people away that are on the fence about Redemption or Prog Metal in general. I'm predicting that Redemption will earn most people's respect at this year's show. I can honestly see this band becoming a house favorite along the same lines as Circus Maximus.

~Brian~

I think Firewind would just as good, if not better, a reaction from the crowd in comparison to Virgin Steele.

Well, historically, the bands that come off best live are the ones with the fewest frills. Straight ahead, aggressive power metal bands that don't rely on keyboards too much. That always seems to come off better live than progressive noodling or symphonic power metal.

I'm thinking Tad Morose and Brainstorm from PPV as the best examples. Virgin Steele and Primal Fear definitely are in that category.

You're forgetting Firewind in that formula as well. :worship:

~Brian~

With that said, I'm thinking After Forever will tear the house down on Saturday night. In my opinion, this is a band that's been overdue to play this festival, so I think they'll come to prove themselves.
Hmm... this will be an interesting one. I love Floor's voice. I also love Floor... but I digress. I can see this show going any one of a number of ways. I'm rooting for them.

I believe Firewind will be really well received and will put on the caliber of show that Brainstorm did several years ago.
Whoa there sparky.:loco:

Having been to all but the first ProgPowers, I put four performances above all others:

Angel Dust (PPII)
Edguy (PPIII)
Tad Morose (PPV)
Brainstorm (PPV)

The mere fact that you've dared to speak such blasphemy has intrigued me. I just moved Firewind from pure bar time, to catching the first few songs of their set and giving them a chance. If they suck, you owe me a drink.:heh:

In addition, I believe Redemption will surprise everyone and I think Ray Alder will blow some people away that are on the fence about Redemption or Prog Metal in general.
I didn't bother to mention Redemption (even though they're the the band I'm most psyched about), because they're a returning band, and I just expect all returning bands to go over well.

Zod

I predict a massive hangover on Thursday morning, meeting a lot of people that I know from the forum and recognize but don't really know yet, a fantastic time had by all, a successful weekend for all the bands and vendors, a MARTA full of weary, broke and happy travelers on Sunday and for someone to start the countdown clock as soon as Glenn announces the dates for next year.

Oh yeah, during the announcements of the bands for next year there will be one that will draw more response than anyone - no idea who it will be yet - coz I think Glenn is gonna hit us with the headliners later - and I think they will be TRUE headliners, no questions about it from anyone - no matter how skeptical they may be. I predict that no matter how elated everyone is at getting to hear who is coming early, that by Jan/Feb people are going to be yearning for Dr Evils Cryptic Clues - and he is going to find some way to torment us (just because he cares) by giving cryptic clues about some other events that he will cook up between now and then.

I predict that corsets, kilts and Hawaiian shirts will be THE new uniform for future metal generations (Volunteers hat optional).

Is it Wednesday yet?
jeff