Prepare thyself!

phlogiston said:
It's OK. We've still got Wrath standing strong! The fate of the world is in his hands! Along with Spiff and spawn. The three amigos! And Southy. The three amigos and Southy! And troops. And LT.

And me. :cry:

...I don't have a girlfriend yet.

But I do have a (real) job finally :) Took me four months to land a gym job but I'm starting up fitness training at the Campbelltown Catholic Club on Wednesday. I'm permanent part-time which means I can get paid holiday and sick leave (never been able to do that before :D). The one downside is that being the Catholic Club I have to take my piercings out, but oh well.

Speaking of gyms...

Does anyone watch Neighbours here? If so, can ANYONE tell me what Boyd's job at the gym actually is? It seems like he just works out for a living.

I dunno Spiff, now that you mention it I've never actually seen Boyd doing any kind of instructing.

Just getting into trubs.

Goreripper said:
I think you've posed the eternal question there Spiff. How does a 17yr old wimp get a job as a gym instructor in the first place, and how does he then get away with doing nothing all day?

It's not that inaccurate - I used to work with people like that. A lot of floor supervisors are like that. :erk: Supervising the floor? Only the bits they can see from the front desk, where they're chatting to receptionists. Supervising the pool? Can't see it from the front desk. Talking to members? Only if the members talk first, or they're your mate. Writing programs? Only if they absolutely have to. Cleaning the equipment? Not fuckin' likely. Doing a weights workout during your shift? Yes, if they can get away with it. Knocking off as soon as your last scheduled appointment is finished? Hell yeah. *sigh*

Generally speaking, management doesn't take the role of gym supervisor seriously any more either - at least at the last couple of places I've been - so they can get away with all that, too. Gym supers are rostered on for the minimum amount of time possible, so the gym can cover their ass for insurance purposes. And you got paid what must be close to minimum wage, around $13/hr.

From the sound of things the Catholic club I'm about to work in is heaps different - they've got gym instructors on the floor all the time for one thing. Management's attitude seems to be that gym instructor is still a viable role, rather than just something they have to have to save legal face. I like it. The fact that a gym instructor can have a permanent position, like I just snagged, says a lot.

/rant

"Supervising the pool? Can't see it from the front desk."

Sounds very much like the pool I visit every Tuesday for hydrotherapy purposes (ie trying to swim laps while the old bats in front of me are wading *across* the damn lanes arguing about the difference between Whizzo butter and a dead crab). The alleged "supervisor" hasn't shown his face in weeks. Not very professional is it? I could drown and there wouldn't be anyone to cheer :).

W

When I was a life guard at a pool,I used to sit up at the window overlooking the pool till there was more than a couple of lanes to watch.However it was made hard as a lot of the time I was on my own there. Especially when the aboriginal kids from the mission would come down.Some would lurk about the front desk which was also the canteen.If you left that area to go down to the pool for something they would steal food,anything they could grab.

As of yesterday I'm an uncle for the first time, as my sister-in-law had a kid. Yay. Won't get to see it till the end of the year though.

I suppose I'll have kids at some stage in the next 4-6 years. I'm in no rush though. I wouldn't have one at all, but I don't want to be child and grandchildless when I'm old.