Preparing your tracks for reamping: A Guide

I did read all.
I was thinking about the perfect conditions for monitoring: (guitar > soundcard > reamp box > amp) because imho its better to hear exactly what is being recorded instead of splitting the signal at di box and being surprised later that the sound is not like you wanted (after coming through di box, soundcard preamp, ad & da converters, and finally reamp box it will not sound 100% like after just coming through di box split to the amp).

Fair enough. I see what you're getting at. Hell, it's easy to get confused with this shit! What I'm concentrating more on is if you don't have a reamp box and/or are outsourcing your guitar recording to another studio. I'm getting a lot of stuff sent my way & a public "how to" guide can save me a lot of answering the same questions.

That being said, for my own stuff, I'll have to try out my Great River's HiZ inputs next time & send it out to the amp via the soundcard & reamp box. It's a 1.2 MegOhm input.

doesnt it??
bugger
i wanted one?
any one know?
any one know where to get the little labs in the uk, and how much it is?

So, I'm getting this soonhttp://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ReampKitbut the J48 doesn't work well with passive pups? Should I just get the X amp, and search for a better DI?

Read (and understand) this article.
And then compare specs of J48 @ $179.99 and Type 85 @ $179.99

I would choose Countryman (proper input impedance and better signal to noise ratio).
The only problem with Countryman would be active pickups and its 5V maximum input voltage, but you are using passives.

I would add that PodXt users don't even need a DirectBox. All can be done via USB.

Right.
My V-amp pro (sim bypassed by pressing "tuner" and "tap" buttons) is doubling as a digital (spdif) di when i want to record dry signal while monitoring with vst ampsim plugins like simulanalog jcm900 or revalver 2.

Ahh... about the Pod & using in bypass mode. I found the post I was looking for:

use a real D.I., like the Radial one that Kazrog suggested, rather than the "uprocessed out" of the POD to capture your D.I. signal. definite quality difference.

Here's the link to that thread:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/228777-prior-15-minutes-ago-i-completely-unaware-concept-reamping.html?highlight=radial#post4522889

Anyway, more to come. I'm in the middle of doing quite a bit of research on the subject. Expect some amendments to the inital post.

Just noticed:
Test source impedance 600 ohms.
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
You don't need a DI Box if you have a source with output impedance of 600 ohms just like Bill Gates does not need another thousand of $.

Active pickups: 10000 ohms
Passive pickups: 30000 to 40000 ohms

No mention about input impedances of all tested boxes - ( i wonder why hehehehe ).

Shouldn't that be PodXT Pro?

Well, it is easier with the Pod Xt Pro because there is an output for that purpose, but you can do it with the Pod XT. On the manual there is nothing about, it, I recommend you to download the latest manual (version H).

You need to install the drivers and then run the setup aplication, you can choose 4 different configurations to record and reamp. 2 for recording and 2 for reamping. Then connect via USB to your computer, choose the driver of PodXt in Cubase or whatever, choose your track, make adjustments and you can record it dry while listening to processed signal.
Once you've got the dry signal, go again to the aplication of Pod XT, choose one of the 2 options to reamp, back to Cubase, prepare a track to record, choose on the dry track the output to the Pod Xt, prees rec and it will play the dry signal while recording the processed track.
It is a bit embarrasing but it does worth, take a look to the latest manual.

OK lets juggle some numbers.

Q:Why do i need a Direct Injection Box ?
A:To convert your signal from high impedance source to low impedance destination (mic preamp for example).

The formula:

voltage% = di box input impedance/(source impedance+di box input impedance)*100

So lets see what % of your signal will you get if you connect your passive humbucker (37403ohm) directly to:

Bellari RP220 with 600ohm input impedance:

600/(37403+600)*100
=1,578822725%
One and a half mothersucking % !!! :puke:

J48: (220000ohm)

220000/(37403+220000)*100
=85,46908933%
OK but not great :erk:

Type 48: (10000000ohm)

10000000/(37403+10000000)*100
=99,62736377%
No comment ! Numbers don't lie . :headbang:

Demeter VTDB-2B: (27000000ohm)

27000000/(37403+27000000)*100
=99,86166201% :)

Ok, thanks for taking the time to explain all that, Mutant! Like I said before, I've used the J48 with some passives & never had a problem, but 90% of the stuff I record is with actives.

BTW, you mentioned a cheap 1 megohm box for about $50. What was it? I'm sure some guys (myself included) would be interested.

That being said, I'll add the Countryman to the inital post, with a caveat for active users.....

-0z-

BTW, you mentioned a cheap 1 megohm box for about $50. What was it? I'm sure some guys (myself included) would be interested.

Samson S-Direct - nothing special but better than going directly to line in (10000ohm) from EMG (10000ohm):

10000/(10000+10000)*100=50%

vs

Samson:

1000000/(10000+1000000)*100=99% and then few hundred ohms from DI Box to line in.

Thanks for the tip, Mutant! Is the Samson box at clean at least?

BTW, the original post has been amended & you've been credited. Thanks very much for your help!

-0z-