Preparing your tracks for reamping: A Guide

Yeah, I'm running the X-AMP as well. Wonderful piece of gear.
Here's some reviews on the X-AMP:
http://www.radialeng.com/di-xamp-reviews.htm

For those of you who are wondering about reamping, it's pretty simple stuff:

Send your recorded DI track to a discrete mono ouput on your soundcard. Set the level on that channel to 0. Run the line level out to your amp, place your reamp box before the amp. Set your reamp box's level to 0. Then plug in your pedals or whatever & plug in your amp & go. It's that simple. If you need a quieter signal for a cleaner tone, you can pull back the reamp box's trim control, as it's best to make the adjustment there instead of in the DAW.
When I'm doing reamping, I think of the send levels & trim control as "volume pots" on a guitar. Well, that's the analogy I keep telling myself, anyway & it works. Seriously, it's just idiot proof.

I'm only speaking for using the X-AMP, which is an active box. The Redeye & Cubinerti might be slightly different, I'm not sure: I've never used them.

Of course the real challenge when reamping isn't so much how to hook things up, it's where to place the mics, what type of technique, what type of amp, cabinet, pedals, etc, etc, etc, that we all obsess over constantly.

I've put a good eight years into learning how to mic a guitar amp & just about went insane learing how to do the "Fredman Technique." Fortunately, some of you guys really dig the sounds I'm getting & want those sounds for your own projects. Hence the prepping guide.

-0z-

I wonder why people always compare the reamp and x-amp, forgetting the actual Radial equivalent for the Reamp, the Radial ProRMP. It´s passive like Reamp.

From the Radial ProRMP faq:
Q: What is the difference between the Reamp™ and the ProRMP?
A: The ProRMP is essentially the same as the Reamp™. It has a specially designed transformer on the inside that does the impedance transfer and a volume control to set the desired level. Both sound great! Because we produc large quantities, the ProRMP is slightly more affordable.

I wonder why people always compare the reamp and x-amp, forgetting the actual Radial equivalent for the Reamp, the Radial ProRMP. It´s passive like Reamp.

From the Radial ProRMP faq:
Q: What is the difference between the Reamp™ and the ProRMP?
A: The ProRMP is essentially the same as the Reamp™. It has a specially designed transformer on the inside that does the impedance transfer and a volume control to set the desired level. Both sound great! Because we produc large quantities, the ProRMP is slightly more affordable.

From Radial website on the X-Amp:

"Up until the X-Amp, pretty much all re-amping devices have been passive, transformer-based. These generally work well but do have limitations: Because the same transformer is used to both convert the balanced line level to an unbalanced signal while changing the impedance, one is required to employ workable compromise to get an acceptable tone. Because varying the output level is required to properly match the amplifier’s input level, a potentiometer is required. Since a potentiometer is in fact a variable resistor, changing the level will introduce a load variation, which will inevitably impact the tone. This is not to say that the tone will be bad, it just means that finding the ‘sweet spot’ may be compromised"

Here is the block diagram of the ProRMP:

http://www.radialeng.com/images/prormp-block-diagram.gif so changing the Level Pot affects the load on the Transformer.

Here is the block diagram of the X-amp:

http://www.radialeng.com/images/xamp-block-dgm.gif In this case a transformer is only used for Isolation and the conversion is done discretely. Shouldn't this be cheaper since there is not such a need for a high spec transformer to do the matching? :loco: I am confused, I read too much. :lol:

Slinky, I understood your point. :) I was just pointing out the differences between the 2 radial boxes. I have no clue if one is better than the other, just researching. :)

Oz, Idiot-proof suits me, I think I am sold. :lol:

Samson S-Direct - nothing special but better than going directly to line in (10000ohm) from EMG (10000ohm):

10000/(10000+10000)*100=50%

vs

Samson:

1000000/(10000+1000000)*100=99% and then few hundred ohms from DI Box to line in.

So.....if you had a EMG81 + Firepod.......go directly into the the Firepod, no DI.

1000000/(10000+1000000)*100=99%

But, if you have a Duncan JB + Firepod.....

1000000/(16400+1000000)*100=98%

So it looks like the Firepod will handle the dry track pretty easily.
But for output this is all I have right now,

----FirePod TRS Output Impedance: 51 Ohms------>

--ROLLS DI DB25 Output imp. 600 ohms\Input Impedance 50K ohms--

so does the numbers add up ok for me on the output side of it?? Or would maybe a samson DI be better for the Firepod on outputing to an amp???

So it looks like the Firepod will handle the dry track pretty easily.

True

----FirePod TRS Output Impedance: 51 Ohms------>

--ROLLS DI DB25 Output imp. 600 ohms\Input Impedance 50K ohms--

so does the numbers add up ok for me on the output side of it?? Or would maybe a samson DI be better for the Firepod on outputing to an amp???

Samson DI is active so you can't use it in reverse instead of proper reamp device.

Some people at various message boards are recommending passive DIs in reverse but on the Reamp site FAQ it says that it is not a perfect solution:
http://www.reamp.com/faq.html#6

Like with all other (possibly money motivated) advices - of course you should take it with a grain of salt.

just bought X-Amp and got one problem...

on maximum level the sound it quieter than the guitar when i play

the recorded maximum level is -4..-3 - so where the problem could be?

(i tried it with other DI tracks from this forum - the same thing)

and one more question - when im recording with di->preamp - which input level should i choose on my Delta 44: -10 or +4
i found that i can get better results with -10...

You might want to try playing with the send level on your DAW. Are you sure you're sending a mono track to the X-AMP? If you're only sending 1/2 of a stereo signal, you won't be getting the proper level. Make sure your send is panned hard to one side & the X-Amp is hooked up to that output. I ran into somehting similar when I got mine.