Primordial

dcowboys311

Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Glad you nerds could see how a show is done.
My god. Still in awe.
A good friend put it best: you could tell Nemtheanga truly believed in every last word coming out of his mouth.

Easily the most intense display of honest and raw emotion I've ever seen at a concert. I've been waiting 13 years to see Primordial, having missed them on Heathenfest in 2009, and they not only lived up to my expectations, they exceeded it...the entire set was amazing, but I had chills during "Coffins Ships."

There were quite a few of us who were anticipating them, but I'm genuinely curious if they managed to convert any new fans, especially people who might've written them off because of their extreme metal roots.

I have a question: when he said "That's reality, not fantasy" after The Coffin Ships, was there a dig at our often-fantasy-based genres there? I totally thought so, and thought it was hilarious (given his earlier comments about "You might be wondering why we are here, we are too" and his emotional introduction to the real-life circumstances behind The Coffin Ships). If it was a dig, it was utterly brilliant. However, my roommate said it wasn't and I am reading way too much into it. And now that I think about it, I was the only person that laughed out loud when he said it. Hmmm.

I have a question: when he said "That's reality, not fantasy" after The Coffin Ships, was there a dig at our often-fantasy-based genres there? I totally thought so, and thought it was hilarious (given his earlier comments about "You might be wondering why we are here, we are too" and his emotional introduction to the real-life circumstances behind The Coffin Ships). If it was a dig, it was utterly brilliant. However, my roommate said it wasn't and I am reading way too much into it. And now that I think about it, I was the only person that laughed out loud when he said it. Hmmm.

A few of us were speaking with him for quite a while at the Artmore afterwards, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that he is not a fan of symphonic, operatic, etc bands. Very cool guy though, and very interesting to converse with.

I had been waiting years to have a chance to see Primordial and they did not disappoint in the least. I never would have thought I'd be seeing them at ProgPower for the obvious reason, but I personally love all kinds of metal so it works for me. I enjoyed the juxtaposition of Serenity and Primordial one after the other too.

We opted out of ProgPower this year but were happy to see that Primordial decided to do a small tour around the fest-- we went in Charlotte on Thursday night and were floored...top 5 set all-time for me in 28 years of show-going.

Unreal.

Primordial was one of those bands who I was really looking forward, and my good lord, it was beyond amazing. The atmosphere, the feeling, the passion in the music. I have not experienced anything like it. After finishing a very perplexing shoot (all of the photographers for the first two songs were like "lol wat do we do") and sitting down, it only took 2 songs for me to pass off my camera and rejoin the floor. I've never done that for any band. Ever.

Ihsasn isn't even in the same category for intensity of this band. I love Glenn for bringing them in to provide a massive, massive contrast to some of the more "fun" bands.

Also, that conversation with Alan in the Courtyard was by far one of the most fascinating I've ever been a part of. Especially sitting there wearing my Elvenking shirt. Hahahahaha.

Anyway, long story short: Primoridal +10 fandom. And that whole "this is real, not fantasy" - A dig? Yes, probably, but I think he said it to make a point, too. I think he wanted the people who were listening to understand the gravity of the song and what it represented.

one of the BEST sets EVER at Progpower! EASILY the MOST intense sets at the festival!! I too enjoyed the lack of lighting which helped to set the mood to their music...Even my wife enjoyed them and they aren;t her type of thing.

Your roommate is right.

To those of you struck by the intensity, the emotion, the gravity of Nemtheanga's words -- look up his writings/interviews with him ASAP. Equally as impressive.

It was me and Justin (mosquito) who brought him to the Artmore for a classy discussion on all things metal. And while I disagree with him on some points about his musical taste (and distaste for the VAST majority of bands who have played PPUSA), he is one of the most honest people you'll ever meet; and he lives it through his music too. Yes, the thing about reality vs fantasy in the Coffin Ships was a dig; because he and that band see this as unauthentic bullshit. In his words "What *man* listens to Amaranthe or Nightwish?" He also went on to totally make fun of Ihsahn, which I'll say was funny but I of course disagree with. I love him and Emperor, and I told Alan as much.

Regardless, from a performance standpoint, I've seen nothing more intense at this festival. As Brian already said...Alan believes in everything he says and does. That's part of the mystique of the band, and it's likely what makes him such an engaging and interesting person to talk to.

I am a 45 year old self admitted prog snob and I expected to like nothing about this bands set. I was blown away. The intensity of this set was amazing. Primordial just got up there and kicked major ass because they believe in what they do and they do it amazingly well. Awesome performance.

I had more fun talking to Alan on Saturdy when he was a little removed from his set. He was visibly more relaxed and loose. I loved the convo on Friday too though. Alan was definitely the highlight of the weekend both on and off the stage.