Primordial

They managed to convert me!

I tried listening to a number of their songs before the fest so I could get into them - but I just hated it. I decided: "Dinner band!"

I won't tell the story - but I ended up watching the whole set and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm glad a lot of people enjoyed them, especially people who were writing them off. I saw them on the 7th in Chicago, and I have to say one of the best performances I've seen in a long time. One of the most intense, emotional performances I've seen. Hell, a lot of times when I see shows, I tend to check what time it is during a performance. When I saw them, I didn't check the time ONCE and felt involved in the performance from beginning to end. THAT is what makes a live performance unforgettable.

They were my favorite band of this year's ProgPower, edging out Symphony X (because of their incredibly disappointing setlist). I was basically destroyed by the time Primordial was done playing. 'Empire Falls' is my favorite song of theirs, and it was just magical to experience it live.

I had a really cool time with the guys in the band later that night, too. I met their live bassist, Gerry, who was drinking water, and asked if he wanted a drink. I ended up drinking Jameson with him! Later Cirian (guitars) came over, then Simon, then Alan Averill. I got pretty hammered with those guys, except for Simon (I think it was him), who wasn't drinking. We must have stood there talking and drinking for about 30 minutes. It fucking ruled. And yeah, they do NOT like bands like Epica. (I'm with them; Epica was fucking atrocious.)

May I make a suggestion to the organizers of this event? Let's make Primordial a perennial installment in PPUSA. =]

I missed most of their set in order to get recharged for Redepmtion. We caught the last couple songs, and I immediately was bummed that I missed something special. Even just two songs kicked my ass, so I hope to be able to experience them in the future.

I sure hope they can make it back to the United States and I can see them, but most of the metal discussion I had with him on Friday night was about how sad it is that shows don't get a good draw here. He said for a European tour to be any kind of a success, it needs to draw 200 a night. That is not what Primordial were drawing - maybe 120-140 at best on their headlining dates. It's frustrating, but true. Unless something changes, certain bands might not return save for a good festival appearance.

I was interested in seeing them live and they owned it. One of my faves last weekend. Would love to see them again. They were great guys to talk to. Cheers for one of the members for wearing a "Drudkh" shirt afterwards. Never thought I would see one at Progpower.

I posted before about how this band blew me away even with a close minded opinion going into their set. What cd would be most highly recommended to compare to the live intensity? I would prefer a studio release because I tend to not get much out of live recordings. Thanks...

I posted before about how this band blew me away even with a close minded opinion going into their set. What cd would be most highly recommended to compare to the live intensity? I would prefer a studio release because I tend to not get much out of live recordings. Thanks...
I would recommend either "To The Nameless Dead" or "The Gathering Wilderness" as a starting point, but there's not really a bad album in their catalog. Their debut "Imrama" isn't quite at the level of the rest of their work, and I feel like their most recent "Redemption at the Puritan's Hand" isn't quite as intense as the rest of their work.

most of the metal discussion I had with him on Friday night was about how sad it is that shows don't get a good draw here.

I was stunned at the reports I was reading from New Englanders who traveled out of state to see a show on this tour. A guy who went to Cleveland reported 30 people. A guy who went to the 'big' Rochester NY show that also had Blood Ceremony, Orodruin, and Macabre reported the same number of who were still there for Primordial's set. Maybe those were low estimates (I'm sure real number was probably more like 50-60 people) but I had thought that Primordial were one of the most respected names in extreme metal worldwide. (I guess Chicago and the NYC shows did okay.)

When I went down to the Charlotte NC show there were maybe a solid 50 people watching Primordial and a lot of empty space behind the crowd. They were awesome at that one, but the difference between that one and ProgPower on Friday was like night and day.

I had thought that Primordial were one of the most respected names in extreme metal worldwide.
Respect != draw, unfortunately. They are very respected, but they've also only done one full US tour (and one, maybe two festivals before that), and this short tour wasn't announced very long before it happened. Take a band that doesn't do a ton of promotion to begin with, book them a tour on short notice, tack on cult acts as support...that's not a recipe to pack venues.

That's no disrespect to Primordial, WHW, or any of the bands they played with on the tour, it just seems like that the state of touring at this point.

I didn't care for the singer's attitude in some ways, but I definitely enjoyed what part of their set I was able to see.

They're definitely opinionated, but at the end of the day, Musician's can be a touchy group as a whole. The fact that he made no bones about not fitting in and not liking the bands at the festival didn't detract from the fact that Alan was more than willing to hang out and talk, take pictures, and be a part of the festival as much as any other frontman (and definitely more than most of the front women which is a shame imo.) speaks volumes for his character.

He made it very clear that 200 people a night is necessary to make a tour successful. I easily saw that number at Kreator/Accept this past Sunday, but the fact is extreme metal isn't really drawing that. I don't know how many people will be at Morbid Angel/Grave in October up in Iowa; I can't imagine it will be any more than 200 (probably fewer). I don't know what the recommendation is.

Regardless, Primordial are one of those bands I do respect wholeheartedly because of their no-compromise/no-regret attitude. And perhaps it's that attitude that makes them not likely to become "popular" or get a huge draw. They're not going to become Lamb of God or Five Finger Death Punch. Ever. It's not going to happen for them; or Rotting Christ; or Samael; or Triptykon; or any other true metal band that has been unwaveringly loyal to the heavy metal code.