Production-/soundwise: which Seventh Wonder album do you like the most?

Production-/soundwise, which Seventh Wonder album do you like the most?

• Become

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Waiting In The Wings

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Mercy Falls

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • The Great Escape

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters

Kazar

SW-moderator
May 14, 2007
So, only looking (i.e. hearing) at the production/sound of the album, which one do you prefer?

Of course, feel free to elaborate on your choice in the thread!!

I voted TGE, because i find it to be the overall best.
Mercy Falls aint bad either, but the guitar parts are sometimes very hard to hear.
On TGE they're often a lot clearer. :)

I like the really melodic soft production on Mercy Falls the best, closely followed by TGE.

For me, the production on Waiting in the Wings is what I like least about the album. All the songs are individually fantastic but the guitars and keyboard all sound so hard and cold.

Mercy Falls is my favorite Seventh Wonder album, however production wise, The Great Escape is the best. That doesn't mean that the previous Seventh Wonder albums have bad production, no no no! The Great Escape has the best production most likely because it's the latest release.

WITW will always be my favourite I think. Although the production is rather lacking in comparision to MF and especially TGE, at least it wasn't overproduced. MF I think had the perfect sound whereas TGE was incredibly crisp, but the instruments didn't flow as well together as each instrument was too distinctive for its own good (If that even makes any sense). Perhaps it was just the mixing and mastering?

As a DT fan who much prefers the production on Images and Words compared to the post-2000 releases, I think I just much prefer the humble production values of WITW (Not to be mistaken with the poor production values of Become). I don't think the songs are as well written or cohesive as the later SW releases, but there is something special about Waiting that i'm not sure can ever be replicated by the band without trying something radically different with their sound. As it stands, I can only assume that SW 5 will have top notch production and sound identical to TGE.

For me it's The Great Escape. You just hear how that they had more time in the studio to work out the details and so on. I'm no expert in these things, but I love the richness of the sound, if you know what I mean.

Reactions: ollmel
Cool thread, Kazar!
As someone who has listened to the albums probably more than anyone else in the world over the last 11 months (gee...I wonder why that is:) I have my favourite features of all three of the latest albums.. Can´t pick a favourite, but I love the brilliance and clarity of TGE, the overall production (especially the tom sound) of MF and the "size" of the soundscape or the ambience, for lack of a better word, of WITW.

Fire angel: My fave DT is Images and Words too, but I was talking to Mike Portnoy at a clinic years ago about the drum sound on that album and he HATES it hehe... The producer made him use triggers, hence the undynamic snare sound...

I think The Great Escape sounds warmer and more crisp in tone than the previous three albums (especially the drums).