Prog Metal Bands

I think Progressive Means You are really good and tight as a band and that you also cannot get alot of Airplay. I have heard this of Rush that they had to write some poppy songs to get on the radio. I do not know if this is True, just a theory.

It's hard to define, and means different things to different prog fans, but I think of it as having more complex music than other types of music, (ie tempo changes, solos..) usually they use keyboards or other non standard instruments for rock. Also known for using spacey or story like lyrics....

70s Prog:
Rush
Pink Floyd
Yes
Genesis

Modern:
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Pain of Salvation
Evergrey

Originally posted by Bodylouseuk
If you don't mind some harsh vocals then Opeth have released some stunning albums......I bought King Crimson's red album which is supposed to be the best prog album ever....its unlistenable crap......only my opinion...:D

I agree with both of those statements. :)

I would include Fates Warning with all around badass Joey Vera on Bass!!!! They are kinda a nice mix of metal and prog.

PS......I want some goddamn news on an ANTHRAX release date.....I have chewed on my fingernails for so long I am now gnawing on my knuckles..........

Originally posted by Armored Thrax
I would include Fates Warning with all around badass Joey Vera on Bass!!!! They are kinda a nice mix of metal and prog.

PS......I want some goddamn news on an ANTHRAX release date.....I have chewed on my fingernails for so long I am now gnawing on my knuckles..........

That sounds painful... :D

at least it's not like the Indie genre and Alternative rock Genre. like I was talking to this one chick about music and she was like I only Listen to Indie, and I'm like why? All indie is is bands that are independant. so there's no real Indie Style music. she was listening to some folky stuff that was indie and I'm like here and I put in soulfly which is indie and she didn't like it and I'm like so you like folk music not indie music and blah. I can see how Prog metal can be it's own genre.

anyway hehehe. to get back on topic, I don't realy like harsh death metal vocals when it comes to Prog Metal. I just don't think they go well together but I will write the bands down that I haven't heard of and chec them out.

thanks guys
-jono-

Here's a list of prog acts who have FANTASTIC PLAYING:

Planet X
Power of Omens
Symphony X
Sun Caged
Liquid Tension Experiment (ok, 3 members of Dream Theater, but it rules)
Spastic Ink
Vanden Plas
Crises
Pain of Salvation (playing's not fantastic, but their ideas are very refreshing)

Like any genre, it's impossible to agree upon a definition of exactly what makes a band progressive.
But here are some things each of those bands, and Dream Theater, share:

Long songs
Use odd time signatures in interesting ways.
use lots of complex soloing, unison playing, and orchestration and arrangement ideas.
Feature intricate playing, nearly always with really good technique, and nearly always interesting ideas.

That's a very brief outline of a huge subject.

Anyone heard of Big Wreck? They toured with Dream Theater a couple years ago. I dont know if they are prog metal but they are guitar based and the lead singer looks like Chris Cornell and even sounds like him at times but only better. People, Big Wreck are awsome!!!

honestly I don't remember any of the names of bands that sounded bad. I do know that I hat Cradle Of Filth. the music is great but then the vocals do all tis nasty shit. I understand it's the opposite sides of the spectrum mashed together and thats supposed to be cool but it sounds like shit. When it's going alright and the intro grabs me. The vocals of certain bands will kick in and it will be aganized screeching and I just don't dig on that unless it's Death Metal or Grind.
-Jono-