ProgPower USA X Picture Thread

Thanks Jeff. Will be working on these probably this weekend. Seemed more like the Andy Johnsson show though, from what I've got ;)
I was right in front of him, and he was hamming it up the entire time. It was pretty awesome to watch.

Just a printing FYI for everyone: I just got some proofs I sent out back from Nations Photo Lab. I had them printed on Metallic Print paper. I had one done of my cage crowd shot and one done of Par Sundstrom. The Cage crowd shot I had printed at 8x12, and the Par shot was 4x6. Paid ~$3.50 total (and 7$ shipping up to $50 order). $10 for 2 prints you may say is a bit outrageous, but I wanted to see the quality before I put in a big order. How is that quality you ask?

Un. Fucking. Believable. I can't even describe it. The metallic print puts a glean and a shimmer on the photos that is evidenced in a certain light. The colors are spectacular. Deep contrast, beautiful saturation, I just.. I could NOT be happier. I want to run out and buy an 8x12 frame for this Cage shot right now. I was worried it would be cheesy and stupid looking, but man oh man.. :worship:

The metallic ink/paper/printer are not something you can get at home, and they'll even do color correction at a very small cost. I chose not to have it done as I knew I liked my shots the way they were, but if you've got a shot you want printed, I could not suggest this place more highly. Wow.

I've been using WHCC for prints for years -- 2-day shipping included and only a $12 order minimum. Pro-oriented but photo geeks accepted. :)

If you are a Costco member, they are great for short-notice prints -- no fancy papers, but you can disable color correction (which is always evil for concert shots) via the web ordering system.

A lot of folks like Mpix too.

I've been using WHCC for prints for years -- 2-day shipping included and only a $12 order minimum. Pro-oriented but photo geeks accepted. :)

Very cool. I had never thought to print to a Photo Lab before. I love the metalic prints though, I can't even describe them. I do, however, like the idea of the canvas prints. Have you done those?

I love the metalic prints though, I can't even describe them. I do, however, like the idea of the canvas prints. Have you done those?

Concur on metallic prints, particularly for vivid and high-contrast images. Try a black-and-white on metallic some time. Never tried canvas; sounds portrait-y but you never know.

DSO Part 1.5, 3-4 more coming tonight. I hope. There's 2 or 3 more on my flickr page.

4004915984_7e5cafbf1d.jpg

4004152341_932efd8fe4.jpg

4004916252_199af135a3.jpg

Congratulations on the great review for your photography, Allen! :headbang:

We won't tell them that you had better odds than they thought by having more time than just the first 3 songs to shoot though. ;) Not that that makes capturing "that moment" they were talking too much easier though when you've got performers as active and as excited as the ones at PP. Your photography is awesome, no doubt!

LOL PIG VOMIT
This made me laugh not only because they called Pig Destroyer Pig Vomit, but because they also (kinda) called them black metal. LOL. (Not to mention I always laugh at the mention of Pig Destroyer 'cause I know their "noises and samples" button pusher and even he's admitted to the band being a total joke.) All of their metal references kinda cracked me up (like the Stryper one just because the guy was wearing black with a little yellow), not that they were funny jokes, but just that it was so obvious that they didn't know much about metal music.

Thank you. Most all portfolio shots were captured in 3 songs and out, some in 1 and out, some from the back of the venue behind a soundboard through the legs of a video crew...some standing on a X on the floor on one leg, holding your breath for 33.5 seconds. You get the idea ;-). PP and Glenn provide luxuries indeed for which we are gracious as it allows time for more of the atmospheric shots as well as the ever present and awesome guests that always appear in most sets.

Funny thing about the Stryper comment, is that in fact that shot was Michael Sweet of Stryper shot this summer. I like their reviews, I couldn't watch em' of they didn't have a little banter. 1984 wants my hair back too - they don't know that however ;-).

-A

Congratulations on the great review for your photography, Allen! :headbang:

We won't tell them that you had better odds than they thought by having more time than just the first 3 songs to shoot though. ;) Not that that makes capturing "that moment" they were talking too much easier though when you've got performers as active and as excited as the ones at PP. Your photography is awesome, no doubt!

This made me laugh not only because they called Pig Destroyer Pig Vomit, but because they also (kinda) called them black metal. LOL. (Not to mention I always laugh at the mention of Pig Destroyer 'cause I know their "noises and samples" button pusher and even he's admitted to the band being a total joke.) All of their metal references kinda cracked me up (like the Stryper one just because the guy was wearing black with a little yellow), not that they were funny jokes, but just that it was so obvious that they didn't know much about metal music.