ProgPower USA XII Roster Discussion

I think a lot of this has to do with just how diverse it is. There are a lot of people that like all power or like all prog. This really is quite diverse and goes into territories Progpower never has been before.

Yeah! I seriously did not expect something like Arcturus! I have two of their albums, Sham Mirrors and Sideshow Symphonies. They are definitely unique. I'll have to dig them out give them a listen again. I am actually looking forward to seeing this live.

As I said before, another huge, unexpected surprise was Voyager! And Sanctuary??? When I saw that, I was like, "Wait! Are they even still around?" A reunion - this will be interesting indeed. As for Arcturus, I did not even realized they disbanded and now reforming again.

Well, as they say - you can please some of the people all the time, but you can never please all of the people some of the times.

Personally, the naysayers can go fuck off as far as I am concerned, I am stoked about this line-up - including Eldritch!!

EDIT - now listening to the While Heaven Wept album - Vast Oceans Lachrymose. Holy shit this is awesome!! They are often billed as "doom", but this is way more melodic prog than doom in my opinion. And these guys are from my area!!!!!

Glenn brought in Voyager? A band from Australia?!? My god, is that a swarm of pigs flying in the sky? :p Love ya, Glenn! What a choice! :worship: :worship: :worship:

EDIT - now listening to the While Heaven Wept album - Vast Oceans Lachrymose. Holy shit this is awesome!! They are often billed as "doom", but this is way more melodic prog than doom in my opinion. And these guys are from my area!!!!!

They're a different type of doom. Their first one Of Empires Forlorn is much more doomy, but even that is pretty melodic for doom. They are a great band and I'm really looking forward to seeing them.

You know, I'll be honest here. It took me a little bit to get into Sanctuary (big Nevermore fan here). That being said, I am totally stoked about seeing them playing ProgPower. I really hope Warrel's voice is on. It is going to rule.

And :lol: at what Brian said earlier... "If you don't know Sanctuary, you need to GTFO of metal." :lol:

I'm guessing Therion was the headliner that requested to play for 2 hours. I can't wait for this!
Miel said:

Oh, my.

Considering how amazing their previous PPUSA performance was, this will be truly amazing. :headbang: :worship:

These aren't delays. You just don't understand time on the astral level that Vortex does.

:lol:

Glenn brought in Voyager? A band from Australia?!? My god, is that a swarm of pigs flying in the sky? :p Love ya, Glenn! What a choice! :worship: :worship: :worship:

This will put an end to the "which band has ever travelled the furthest to play PPUSA" arguments. They hail from Perth, Australia. Not only is it remote from the rest of the world, it's pretty remote from the rest of Australia! :heh:

So was there anyone in the predict the lineup thread that got even remotely close? I think I had two bands (Labyrinth and Mob Rules).

If anything, this lineup made me realize one thing: how unable to think outside the box most people who posted on that thread were (myself included).

So was there anyone in the predict the lineup thread that got even remotely close? I think I had two bands (Labyrinth and Mob Rules).

If anything, this lineup made me realize one thing: how unable to think outside the box most people who posted on that thread were (myself included).

Yeah I don't know who got close. I barely did better as I got three myself. Mob Rules, Haken and Labyrinth. I don't know if I'm right in saying this but I'm guessing the band who was not mentioned was either Sanctuary or Arcturus. I do remember now though that I think someone mentioned Arcturus. Could be wrong though.

Yeah I don't know who got close. I barely did better as I got three myself. Mob Rules, Haken and Labyrinth. I don't know if I'm right in saying this but I'm guessing the band who was not mentioned was either Sanctuary or Arcturus. I do remember now though that I think someone mentioned Arcturus. Could be wrong though.
It might've been Creation's End that didn't get named - their CD doesn't even officially come out until November, so if someone guessed them, that person seriously has their finger on the pulse of new bands with upcoming debuts.

I think three bands was the max that ANYONE guessed, so it will come down to slots and days.

I think Brian (dcowboys311) told me his prediction included Arcturus. Mine might have, although I'm thinking I guessed Ihsahn instead. I'd almost bet that Sanctuary was the unguessed band -- and a headliner to boot!

Gotta say I would never have guessed Therion or Dream Evil, based on either presumed impossibility (for Therion) or prior posts (Dream Evil). I'm deliriously happy about Therion. :)

My Thoughts:

While Heaven Wept - Worth the price of admission in itself. Speaking of Heaven, if you want to experience what Heaven sounds like, I recommend The Furthest Shore from Vast Oceans, maybe one of the finest epics ever written. They had BETTER play this one! SkiBum... glad you like this. We talked about them Saturday after the show at the Artmore - you might remember me.

Voyager - Didn't realize I had this one until I got home. Don't remember playing it ever but I'm listening to it now and I am eating this up.

Red Circuit - Have played this a few times over the last couple months but am getting more familiar with it after the announcement.

Creations End - Never heard of them until now, but sounds promising in the video.

Sanctuary / Dream Evil / Mob Rules - I've heard these names before (or seen many a t-shirts walkin around over the years) but made assumptions they weren't my type. Maybe I should at least give them a chance. OK, heard DE on the way home. Shows promise.

Therion - Formerly my favorite band, from like 10 years ago. Will be interesting to hear what they've done since, as I haven't kept up with them for a while.

I'd almost bet that Sanctuary was the unguessed band -- and a headliner to boot!
Out of curiousity, I just went back and searched the thread - Sanctuary was named, it was in fact Creation's End that went unguessed.

'To Wander the Void' from While Heaven Wept... the song used on the video presentation... anyone else hear the heavy influence in this song from John Arch-era Fates Warning? *blink*blink*

AWESOME!!! cannot wait to see and hear this band on stage next year! :kickass:

I also agree. Kinda funny in an ironic way that there is a post saying this the best line-up ever immediately followed by another post saying this is the worst line-up ever. I guess one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I don't think it's the diversity, so much as you've got a headliner that existed for only a few years, before many of the attendees were even born. And the other headliner doesn't draw in the US, which is why they weren't planning on coming back.

If Glenn is going for "shit you can't see anywhere else", he succeeded, but I think he's overrating the attraction of exclusivity. PPXI sold out despite, or possibly because of, having bands that extensively tour the US, and it sold out in a rotten economy.

Out of curiousity, I just went back and searched the thread - Sanctuary was named, it was in fact Creation's End that went unguessed.

Yep. Guessed once in a 3 slot, twice in a 4 slot.

Well, they do have three members of Brave in the band, so I've been vaguely familiar with the band for a while. Scott gave me a CD-R of some of the stuff they were working on at the time years ago.

I'm already looking forward to next year's installment. If I'm excited by 2 of the bands, I consider that a winning percentage. This coming year I'm already already batting half of .666-- Arcturus, While Heaven Wept, Sanctuary, and Therion-- it, in the words of Adrian Bromley, will be "A M A Z I N G!"

I believe those are the only two I guessed correctly, also.