Progressive Metal That Doesn't Suck?

I recommend Ayreon. It's not really heavy, but it's some great prog....if you like lots of long epic things. And Arjen does lots of musical styles. If you're looking for some starpower guest appearances...look at the songs on 'Flight Of The Migrator.'....oh, Ayreon seems to have more of that classic Prog Rock feel than the heavy modern prog metal feel...

Songs:

Isis And Osiris
Dawn Of A Million Souls
Amazing Flight

But...I second Symphony X. If you want heavier things...start with 'The Odyssey' album or something.

Songs (not just the heavy stuff):

Of Sins And Shadows
The Accolade
Out Of The Ashes

Look, I see no point in defending these bands. Their work speaks for itself.

How do you listen to music? I'll tell you how I do. I, on one hand, focus on each instrument, and on the other hand, the work as a whole (wall of noise). I do not think or judge or rate. I listen to each sound and accept it for what it is, and I surrender myself completely to the music. I offer no resistance. I don't listen for what I want to hear, I listen for what is there. I hold no biases and have had the according priviledge of delving deeply into many beautiful songs.

the phoenix said:
Look, I see no point in defending these bands. Their work speaks for itself.

How do you listen to music? I'll tell you how I do. I, on one hand, focus on each instrument, and on the other hand, the work as a whole (wall of noise). I do not think or judge or rate. I listen to each sound and accept it for what it is, and I surrender myself completely to the music. I offer no resistance. I don't listen for what I want to hear, I listen for what is there. I hold no biases and have had the according priviledge of delving deeply into many beautiful songs.

None of the bands you recommended were prog bands you friggin yokel! No need getting all emo on us.
:cry: ?

People were saying those bands weren't good. I'm saying they are (quite the opposite of "emo"), if you listen to them with the right ear.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Or the "wrong" ear, depending on one's viewpoint.
Indeed, yet my recommendations were laughed at, showing a lack of understanding and henceforth of appreciation of their appeal.

The phoenix, I like most of the bands in which you listed. (Regardless of how inappropriate they are to a thread with the word "Prog" in it's header) Don't mind GoD attacking your personal tastes. He's just one of the forums elitists. But we love him! <3 ;)

I would like to extend a thank you to all those fighting to keep the thread as free of homoeroticism as possible.

I second Watchtower, Cynic, Spiral Architect, Symphony X, Ayreon, and Atheist...although I find them overrated.

Arcturus are indeed overrated as well, but I sstill say that they are good. Worth a listen, at least.