Progressive Metal That Doesn't Suck?

Definitely get the awesomeness of Atheist's Unquestionable Presence. Do stay away from the suprisingly poor Elements. Focus never seemed all that good to me. I've heard quite a few say that the demos are better. If you don't really like DT, SyX probably isn't the best band.

Gorguts- Obscura is the best "prog" metal album.

It also just so happens to be the best metal album.

MasterOLightning said:
If you don't really like DT, SyX probably isn't the best band.

I dunno about that. I'm not big on Dream Theatre but Symphony X are one of my favourite bands.

Definately check out Symphony X. "The Odessey," "The Divine Wings Of Tragedy" "V: The New Mythology Suite" and "Twilight In Olympus" are all masterpieces of albums :headbang:

If you listen to Cynic and Atheist...Spiral Architect should be next in line. And then Frantic Bleep *cough*

oh and Pagan's Mind is another pretty cool prog band. Er from what I've heard from them

Defenitely Pain of Salvation.
u might also like Spiral architect. check out norwegian prog., its better than most other prog out there.... theres a compliation called 'A Gathering of 8 Norwegian Prog bands'. it might just be what u're looking for

Someone NEEDS to explain to me what's good about Pain Of Salvation, because everything I've heard from them sounds like bad elevator music.

SculptedCold said:
Zero Hour mayhaps? Towers of Avarice is a masterpeice of prog metal, me reckons. Then again, i'm not much into prog. I guess the fact that above album enthralled me says something in itself.
Well I checked this out and my first impression is that it rules. Good call.

Arcturus are good if you're looking for something different, and Atheist kick vast amounts of ass. UP is the one album that I DESPERATLY want re-released (though not remastered).

Watchtower are a really great bunch of musicians who always seemed to lack the intensity to keep me interested. Plus their singer is one of the most annoying in history. The vocal melodies on Control and resistance have given me many sleepless nights through their sheer awfulness.

Necro Joe said:
Watchtower are a really great bunch of musicians who always seemed to lack the intensity to keep me interested. Plus their singer is one of the most annoying in history. The vocal melodies on Control and resistance have given me many sleepless nights through their sheer awfulness.

The vocals fucking rule. Then again, this is coming from someone who worships Toxik and Agent Steel. :D

Also, GoD - I guess I'll check out that album. I've only heard a handful of Pain of Salvation songs and hated them all, but I'll give it a try.

Imagination overpowers REASOOOOOOOOON!

The vocals do kind of seem out of place in most Watchtower I heard... Not untolerable though.

Melodeath said:
What exactly have you heard by them?

Used (completely fucking retarded)
Her Voices (elevator music)
Second Love (no.)
Pluvius Aestivus (horrible)

Like I said, only a handful of songs. I'll try out Entropia though.

EDIT: Ok, I'm listening to Entropia right now. This is just really jumpy prog stuff, kind of like a schizophrenic Dream Theater...the singer sounds a LOT like Chris Jerhico on here. o_O

EDIT 2: What the fuck. The interlude track 2 sounds like shit you'd hear if you were put on hold by some carpet company. They're just trying too damn hard on track 3.

not everyone who likes progressive elements in metal likes dream theater. personally i find them irritating. they have produced some wicked fun songs, but on the whole they bore me to no end.

i similarly agree with pain of salvation being dull. i have only heard a very limited amount, but that was totally intolerable. don't know why ppl listen to it.

misfit said:
i similarly agree with pain of salvation being dull. i have only heard a very limited amount, but that was totally intolerable. don't know why ppl listen to it.

Yeah? Well I heard half of Entropia, stopped downloading it, and then deleted it. I don't see how anyone outside of Barry Manilow fans could enjoy that shit.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Chaos Path is a great song, though.

Though Garm is a genius and I worship Ulver and most everything he's done, Simen totally should have been the full-time vocalist for Arcturus. That one song is the best thing he or that band ever produced.

BTW:

Adding 'Condemned' by late-80s fuckers Confessor to the list. Better than everything in the world, though the vocals can get slightly old-skool cheddar on occasion. Awesome drumming, stands up to time-sig music from today. Heard it on a reccomendation from Asgeir (Borknagar, Spiral Architect) on this forum.