Progressive Metal That Doesn't Suck?

jonnykungfu

May 7, 2004
USA
Does anyone know of any prog-metal that doesn't suck? I think the idea of prog-metal is the perfect idea, but I've never heard it actually pulled off. Dream Theater blows (with the exception of some of "Awake"), Evergrey and all those other power-prog bands are boring as shit, and Theory in Practice just sucks ass.

I like Opeth, but I don't consider them to be prog-metal in the sense that I'm referring to. I'm looking for something with strong song-writing as well as lots of instrumental interplay, time signature changes, etc. (No pure Malmstein wank-offs). I'm not looking for bland "complex" brutal death or bland early '90s fusion-death. Or Gordian Knot. I'm thinking along the lines of Zappa or Magma but in a metal sense.

Any ideas?

Zero Hour mayhaps? Towers of Avarice is a masterpeice of prog metal, me reckons. Then again, i'm not much into prog. I guess the fact that above album enthralled me says something in itself.

jonnykungfu said:
I'm not looking for bland "complex" brutal death or bland early '90s fusion-death.

If you don't like Atheist then you're a faggot.

Cythraul said:
If you don't like Atheist then you're a faggot.

I agree with this by the way, although I can imagine why you'd have such a viewpoint if you've been exposed to the wrong stuff. I.E. Atheist's "Elements", rather than the great "Unquestionable Presence".

Peccatum - Amor Fati
Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
Age of Silence - Acceleration
Ram-Zet - Escape
Sigh - Imaginary Soniscape
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Borknagar - Epic
Kekal - 1000 Thoughts of Violence
Solefald - In Harmonia Universali
Emperor - Prometheus
Winds - The Imaginary Direction of Time
Vintersorg - The Focusing Blur
Cynic - Focus

Hold on to your hat ;)

the phoenix said:
Peccatum - Amor Fati
Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
Age of Silence - Acceleration
Ram-Zet - Escape
Sigh - Imaginary Soniscape
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Borknagar - Epic
Kekal - 1000 Thoughts of Violence
Solefald - In Harmonia Universali
Emperor - Prometheus
Winds - The Imaginary Direction of Time
Vintersorg - The Focusing Blur
Cynic - Focus

Hold on to your hat ;)

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Seriously, that had to be the worst recommendation list I've ever seen.

Try these three, all quite different:
ATHEIST (Already been mention, of fucking course)
WATCHTOWER (You like it! You love it! You need it!)
SYMPHONY X (Greatest Prog/Power Metal band of all time. They're a lot more on the Prog side though)

Jean-Pierre said:
WATCHTOWER (You like it! You love it! You need it!)

Fuck yeah.

Heh, even when I was an OPETH FANBOY I hated Arcturus, Solefald and most of the crap on that list.

I mean wtf, people LIKE Peccatum?

I seem to be getting back into the prog stuff myself, and finding my collection lacking in that field.

But i myself like Dream Theater and see Opeth as a prog band. Symphony X is also a really good band to check out for this kind of stuff. Some Devin Townsend (maybe Terria?) seems a bit progish to me. So maybe check that album out.

I think Pain of Salvation is what you're looking for...greatest band of all time IMHO. Good thing Ill forget to look back at this thread to see all the flaming I will get for this...