Progressive Metal That Doesn't Suck?

As far as I noticed, Sieges Even haven´t been mentioned yet. While their first album "Life Cycle" sounds a bit similar to Watchtower´s "Control And Resistance" (though it was released a year earlier), their other albums don´t remind me of any other bands I know and they also all sound different from each other. If you don´t like Watchtower, you should still try "Steps", "A Sense Of Change" and "Sophisticated". I only wish one of the vocalists on the latter two had already sung on "Steps" and "Life Cylce", because I think the vocalist on these two albums was definitely the weakest part in the band. (Though I still like both albums.)

Though they might not be considered "progressive" in the sense this term is usually used, you should also try Atrox and their albums "Contentum", "Terrestrials" and "Orgasm". They are (or should I say were?) definitely unique (especially because of their - former - vocalist) and there´s also heaviness (probably mostly on "Orgasm") and complexity (probably mostly on "Terrestrials"). Check out the mp3-files from their aforementioned albums in the "More mp3´s"-section on their official website to find out whether they are what you´re looking for or not.

yeah, Ved Buens Ende and Windham Hell are both very cool. I've only heared the lastest Windham Hell though. How does the rest compare?

Watchtower vocals are indeed not everybody's thing. I personally don't really mind them.

If anything, it is Anekdoten who are King Crimson ripoff and not Anglagard.

Mahavishnu Orchestra is excellent. Maybe you've listened to the wrong albums. Birds of Fire is the best in my opinion.

Isildurs Bane is interesting. Get all 'mind' albums, espeically the first one.

Maybe you'd like to try out Thinking Plague - In Extremis. I've never really got into it but a lot of people seem to like it.

jonnykungfu said:
Gildamere, I'll definitely check out the stuff you listed. I've heard Ephel Duath and Extol. Ephel Duath reminds me of a nu-metal version of Mahavishnu Orchestra (the latter being good, the former being horrid). I can't really get into it. Extol is pretty awful in my opinion. But I will check out the other bands.

I've never heard John Arch's solo album, but I am a fan of his, so I'll probably like it. Of course, it DOES have Mike Portney, who I can't stand.

King Crimson is great (but why recommend Starless and Bible Black, when you could recommend Red - the greatest prog-metal album ever, or Absent Lovers - the greatest live album ever?).

Van Der Graaf Generator bores me, with the exception of Pawn Hearts, which is strangely, incredibly unique, where their other albums are garbage.

Camel is decent.

Comus I've never heard.

Anglagard is pretty decent, but nothing truly special, as they're somewhat of a King Crimson rip-off. Old Anekdoten is okay, but I don't like their new albums much. Caravan is hideous in my opinion. I can't stand Canterbury prog, with the exception of National Health. Mastermind doesn't do anything for me really.

I've heard of Adagio, but never really heard it, so I'll be sure to check it out.

Now all you prog fans should go and check out Gong, Magma, and Frank Zappa. It's essential!

I can't believe you hate a lot of the popular "prog" bands but love Frank Zappa. What do you have by Frank Zappa?

FRANK ZAPPA \m/

Anyone here fans of Alan Parson's Project?

Oh, and to that guy who mention John Arch's solo album: It rocks. Of course, it's far removed from early Fates Warning (some of my favourite music of all time), so I can't really compare. It's just really good prog rock.

I don't think I noticed anyone mention Dark Suns. Their latest album is Existence, and I think it's a lot better then the first.

andrew_plamondon said:
Here are my suggestions :
fOE
Canvas Solaris
Dysrhythmia
Behold... The Arctopus
http://homepages.nyu.edu/~cjm246/sensory_amusia.mp3
http://homepages.nyu.edu/~ml732/Alcoholocaust.mp3
Augury (for those who liked Atheist, this band is awesome)
http://www.augurymetal.com/mp3/augury_beatus_192.mp3
http://www.augurymetal.com/mp3/augury_ever_know_peace_again_192.mp3
Kralizec
Electro Quarterstaff
Gory Blister

Behold...The Arctopus and Electro Quarterstaff are awesome indeed. Dysrhythmia is pretty good.

If you like that kind of music, check out Actual Time, Degree Absolute and Nought. Really cool instrumental stuff.

jkf, very nice post on pg 5 elucidating your background and goals, and your take on several bands. I'm just getting back into listening to metal and some prog (in the genre sense) in the last few months, after being mostly into jazz/avant jazz for ~15 years. I am in no way very knowledgeable about the metal scene though I've picked up on a few great things on this forum and have added extensively to my wish list from this thread!

That said... since you mentioned Zorn, I wonder if you have ever checked out much along the lines of Machine Gun, Last Exit, and a few other projects involving the principles such as Robert Musso, Ronald Shannon Jackson, Sonny Sharrock (and maybe Thomas Chapin from MG and Peter Brotzmann or Bill Laswell from LE, though their overall work tends to be in somewhat different directions than these groups). Not metal, more free jazz/noise/improv with some splatter/heavy guitar (depending on exactly what you pick up, I'm not really sure what's even available now to be honest), but could hit some of the spots you're looking to scratch. These could lead to a few other places to explore if you like them, such as Ronald Shannon Jackson's Decoding Society or some of James Blood Ulmer's work.

[Edited to remove Vernon Reid in list of principles referring to MG or LE, as he was only a member of RSJ's DS.]

Thanks for some more recommendations.

I've had Ved Buens Ende on my computer for a while, but I'm having trouble getting into them. I'll give them another chance.

Windham Hell is pretty good, very unique, but sometimes boring.

I didn't bash Arcturus, I said SOME of their stuff is horrible, but some is good. I appreciate their experimentation, but it often doesn't work.

I had heard of Sieges Even before, and had heard they were a Watchtower rip-off, but it was probably that one album. I'll check out the later stuff.

As far as Atrox goes, I heard they were goth metal, so I had no interest, but I'll check them out now.

I am also attempting to give Watchtower another try, hopefully I'll dig them.

I remember Anglagard sounding quite a bit like King Crimson, but maybe it was an earlier album or something. I'll check them out again.

I never said I don't like Mahavishnu Orchestra. I like them quite a bit actually.

I remember hearing Isildurs Bane, but I don't think I liked them. Aren't they similar to Genesis or am I thinking of something else?

Thinking Plague is one of my favorite bands. Their new album is boring as shit though.

"I can't believe you hate a lot of the popular "prog" bands but love Frank Zappa. What do you have by Frank Zappa?"

I own every Zappa album with the exception of the post-humous releases such as Halloween. Why is that odd that I like Zappa when I hate most popular prog bands? He is much more avant-garde, experimental, and talented. His music doesn't all sound the same, it doesn't take itself seriously, he plays some of the most complex and beautiful music on earth. In my opinion, the greatest album of all time is "We're Only In It for the Money" (along with Taake's second album).

I don't like Alan Parson's Project from what I've heard. Too plain.

fOE sounding familiar, but I don't remember. I will look it up.

Canvas Solaris is great.

Dysrythmia is pretty good, but gets boring.

I will check out Behold the Arctopus. It sounds good.

I am downloading Dark Suns - Swanlike right now.

Gory Blister is pretty good.

Jazzdj, I have heard some of that stuff, most of which is pretty good, and I'll check out the rest.

Don't forget to try Augury, and here's an Electro Quarterstaff song :
http://www.electroquarterstaff.com/bears.mp3
You could also try Disembarkation, but good look finding mp3s...
Aphasia is also a pretty good technical "deathened" black act.
Electrocution 250 is also my newest discovery. They sound like Spastic Ink but have a much more "dynamic" sound, which means that they're less boring !!
http://www.panartist.com/media/electrocution250-ALBUM.mp3
http://www.cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/electrocution250-04.m3u