Progressive Rock

Speedkill

Holy Handkerchief!
Nov 6, 2002
Montana
www.speedkill.org
Alright, can any of you give me some good prog rock to check out, 70s and otherwise? I've never really checked out this stuff, so I don't know where to start. Specific albums or songs would be appreciated.

After a discussion I had in another topic, these aren't "prog-rock" bands but they are Progressive Rock..so if you're looking for prog-rock by genre definition(which is stuff like King Crimson, Rush, Early Genesis etc.) then ignore these..but if you want brilliant progressive rock then check these out:

Radiohead
Songs: Pyramid Song, Lucky, Climbing Up The Walls, Paranoid Android, Street Spirit.
Albums: OK Computer, KID A, Amnesiac.

The Microphones
Songs: Map, You'll Be In The Air, Mt. Eerie, The Glow, The Glow Pt. 2.
Albums: The Glow, Pt 2.

My Bloody Valentine
Songs: Sometimes, Soft As Snow(But Warm Inside), (When You Wake) You're Still In a Dream, No More Sorry, I Only Said.
Albums: Isn't Anything; Loveless

isn´t prog short for progressive? I always thought that heh, I tell you what.

It is. But prog-rock is a genre which doesn't include all prog-rock.

Ever heard of the term "post-rock"? Or "Post-Hardcore"? Or "Post-Grunge?" Certain sounds fit into those genre's, not every album made after those respective scene's died. It's the same here, only certain sounds are called "prog-rock"..and that means certain rock acts which aren't progressive don't fit into the genre.

Originally posted by Masters Apprentice
It is. But prog-rock is a genre which doesn't include all prog-rock.

Ever heard of the term "post-rock"? Or "Post-Hardcore"? Or "Post-Grunge?" Certain sounds fit into those genre's, not every album made after those respective scene's died. It's the same here, only certain sounds are called "prog-rock"..and that means certain rock acts which aren't progressive don't fit into the genre.

so you´ve been going through allmusic.com :)

King Crimson - Red
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood

if you havent heard those albums.. GO BUY THEM NOW

I also second the recommendations for any Genesis up through The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, ELP - brain salad surgery, and any other King Crimson albums that get mentioned

GET THESE ALBUMS RIGHT NOW:

King Crimson: In The Court Of The Crimson King, In The Wake Of Poseidon, Red, Starless and Bible Black

Yes: Fragile, Close To The Edge

Enchant: Blink Of An Eye

Porcupien Tree: In Absentia, Stupid Dream

70's - King Crimson is a good recommendation... Court of Crimson King, Red, etc.,
70's - Camel is also very good - the first 3 albums.
70's - Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
70's - Eloy - Inside, Floating, etc.
Current - Flower Kings - Alive on Planet Earth... best live album I have the pleasure of listening to.
Current - Spock's Beard - not a huge fan of these guys, sort of like Gentle Giant... a lot of people love them, though.