Promotion

BW & BK is one of the well know compilation metal magazines in North America...that magazine is pretty much everywhere (and well respected). I think it costs somewhere around 400+ to get a song on their comps. But I think it's well worth it...

Metal Maniacs, Terrorizer, and Unrestrained draw in a lot of readers, methinks. As far as the 'Net is concerned, The Metal Observer hosts banners too. I'm not familiar with prices, but it's worth a look. Also, sending out promos to more review sites would be beneficial. :)

We could also seeing about submitting a "news" blurb for Blabbermouth to run.. I know that they did the Calmsite one about re-signing with Oak Knoll..maybe we could send some more stuff to them...might help out..

Ok Eric, can we do up Blabbermouth for $50 per side? or do they have a minimum? Can we do it the 1st or 2nd week of December? I have a show next weekend if i make enough money I'd be glad to put it toward advertising. Also I'm all up for the free news like in Blabbermouth. Fireborn's cd is being delivered Monday and Calmsite should be within a week or two of that. If you guys in the bands can help me submit info , find places - I'm all for it. I just have alot on my plate with things- Bill is doing a great job helping me with trades. I'm trying to get the site working better and more functional. Eric, I like all your ideas - lets make an excel sheet for these things? Banner costs, Promotion addresses? I'll keep combining them. So lets plan for a BH campaign, starting with the 1st friday in Dec. We can also look at WS & Shroud bannering for the new split. Did I answer everything ok? I know I owe Eric a spreadsheet via email.. anyone else? Remember - the more cds I sell the more I'll back into advertising.. in the meantime I'm putting money into adversiting/promotion as I have it to spare.

feedback from metalstorm:
Hey Jeremy,

What term / amount of banner impressions are you interested in? We offer: 1 week / 1 month / 100.000 views / 500.000 views / 1 million views / 3 million views.

With weekly/monthly terms your banner will be displayed randomly together with 4 other banners (at most). With the pay-by-impressions we guarantee exactly the amount of impressions you pay for - you'll be able monitor them (and click-throughs) on a banner admin page.

As for reviews, you should contact Jeff, the chief reviewer. Here's his e-mail: jeff@metalstorm.ee

Here's another thing you might be interested in: MS Compilation: http://www.metalstorm.ee/compilation/Issued monthly and gets downloaded by thousands of our members - a great promotion for bands and new albums. Our past issues (http://www.metalstorm.ee/compilation/archive.php) feautured such bands as Amon Amarth, Sentenced, Nevermore, Fates Warning, King Diamond, Masterplan, Trail Of Tears and Dark Moor among dozens of other artists, sometimes with exclusive permission.

Eric Harvest said:
is there a way to change me from "junior member" to "band member?"

I guess you can change it by editing your profile.

circus_brimstone said:
Also, sending out promos to more review sites would be beneficial.

I think it's an extremely important subject. When I search the Web, I see a few reviews of Oak Knoll bands. If we don't promote them by sending out promos to lots of webzines/zines, people won't be aware of the bands and label. I know, some zines don't review the stuff although you send them promos to be reviewed. But in my opinion, we should make a promo list and we need a person (or people) who will be able to deal with it.

Jeremy, can you finance it? We can help you to organize a promo list and other stuff. If we just release the albums and wait people to see them on our site without promotion, there won't be an increase in sales and awareness of people.

Dead Wish said:
I think it's an extremely important subject. When I search the Web, I see a few reviews of Oak Knoll bands. If we don't promote them by sending out promos to lots of webzines/zines, people won't be aware of the bands and label. I know, some zines don't review the stuff although you send them promos to be reviewed. But in my opinion, we should make a promo list and we need a person (or people) who will be able to deal with it.

Very true. All the sites in my sig are great outlets for reviews. I believe Oak Knoll already sends stuff to MetalReview. I'm not sure about The Metal Observer. Also, I believe you contacted me Jeremy about reviewing Oak Knoll releases for UltimateMetal; I would still be happy to do so! :wave:

I'll give you my opinion on printed ads. If you're going to do it, it has to be consistent. I booked an ad in BWBK once and I watched my site traffic. I got MAYBe two new buyers to my store, and there was really no increase worth mentioning to traffic. Basically I spent $500 for nothing :/

Consistency is the key. The more people see something, the more it will finally get them to click/visit. If you want to do it right and not waste money, think about running for a few months at a time.

EDIT: By the way, I am revamping the ad offerings/campaign rates for this site but if you want I can give youa deal until I come out with the official rates/placements. Catch me online.

Jeremy - consider that $100 worth of banner ad impressions (50 you, 50 me) at Blabbermouth would last a very short amount of time. I'd guess maybe a day. I'm willing to do it just to test it out and see the results, if any.

I agree with everyone about reviews--one thing I've experienced is that the likelihood that they'll review the CD you send them increases a lot when you contact them personally. This is why I keep asking you for that address list! So I can follow up with who you've sent it to! (I know I've said this to you a million times already ;-)

re: Blabbermouth news stories--it's just like reviews, in that they screen the submissions and only do what seems legit or high-profile enough. News of Oak knoll band signings or album releases seem to go up, but other side stories like "new mp3 posted online" don't seem to make the cut.

Eric Harvest said:
re: Blabbermouth news stories--it's just like reviews, in that they screen the submissions and only do what seems legit or high-profile enough. News of Oak knoll band signings or album releases seem to go up, but other side stories like "new mp3 posted online" don't seem to make the cut.

Just have all the Oak Knoll bands take turns disbanding then immediately reuniting. Few times a week would be optimal. :lol:

Eric Harvest said:
JI agree with everyone about reviews--one thing I've experienced is that the likelihood that they'll review the CD you send them increases a lot when you contact them personally.

This really is true, the more you bug the more likely you are to get a review. That said, if a site doesn't consistently review your stuff, stop sending. There a hell of a lot of webzines out there, and if one doesn't review your promos there will definitely be more out there that will, as most webzines review everything they're sent.

:wave:

circus_brimstone said:
Metal Maniacs, Terrorizer, and Unrestrained draw in a lot of readers, methinks. As far as the 'Net is concerned, The Metal Observer hosts banners too. I'm not familiar with prices, but it's worth a look. Also, sending out promos to more review sites would be beneficial. :)

Also ZT may be worth a shot. All bias aside, the mag has distro throughout Europe (I believe - but don't quote me on this - throughout stores in the UK, France, Norway, Sweden, Finland, maybe Spain a bit of eastern Europe), Australie, New Zealand, and it may be appearing in stores in the US next issue. Same distro as Terrorizer, and probably decent rates...

Russell said:
Also ZT may be worth a shot.

Hey it looks really good! :) I try to make a promo list for Oak Knoll and for my band as well. May I add your zine's contact information to the list too? Not just for review stuff, we can communicate about anything like compilations, ads, etc...

Dead Wish said:
Hey it looks really good! :) I try to make a promo list for Oak Knoll and for my band as well. May I add your zine's contact information to the list too? Not just for review stuff, we can communicate about anything like compilations, ads, etc...

Yeah, of course, although there are several different addresses you'll need ;) The mailing address is on the website, for adverts and compilations you need to contact lisa@ztmag.com, and you need to contact me about getting news featured :)

I hope someone can put together a list of print and web zines that are more likely to review Oak Knoll CD's--I am not aware of which places review everything they get and which places Oak Knoll already has a rapport with...and I know there are a lot of zines that will not only review everything they get, but will request bands/labels to send them stuff, but these are the ones that are not as established and won't get you much exposure. So it's a tradeoff.

I did up a banner for Black Harvest / Oak Knoll. You can see it at www.myspace.com/blackharvest

wlcd_banner1.gif