Q for Mr. V re: Songwriting approach

soundave

Oct 13, 2005
MA
Mr. V,

I was wondering if you approach songwriting differently in each of your musical endeavours? Is there something different about working on a Vintersorg album than a Borknagar, Fission, or Otyg album? Do you hear the musical parts in your head before writing, or do you come up with the music by experimenting on the guitar and such?

I'm a n00b on this board, so I apologize if you've been asked this before.

soundave said:
Mr. V,

I was wondering if you approach songwriting differently in each of your musical endeavours? Is there something different about working on a Vintersorg album than a Borknagar, Fission, or Otyg album? Do you hear the musical parts in your head before writing, or do you come up with the music by experimenting on the guitar and such?

I'm a n00b on this board, so I apologize if you've been asked this before.

It's a little bit different between the bands..in the bands where I write a lot of the music I use several approches..sometimes I take it from a vocal melody I've come up with, other times I sit by the piano, keyboards and trying to figure out my mind and emotional state...and I also write with Guitar..but that goes mostly for Vintersorg...and other times I use other instruments as well..it differes.

mr V

Thanks for the speedy response! And thanks for the great music. It's refreshing to hear metal that is intellectual.