Queensryche roll call

I'm going to the Dallas show 11 days after PP ends... on a friggin' Wednesday. Ugh.

I look forward to hearing your review of the show. Please, not too many spoilers though. :lol:

I just got home (to Baltimore) from the show on Saturday in Orlando. One of the best shows I have ever seen in my life. Both Mindcrimes were amazing, and the stage production was fucking killer.:headbang:

Looking forward to seeing them again in Baltimore and D.C.

I didn't have the money. Sadly, I couldn't get these nor Alice in Chains tickets. But I hope its a great show, and let me know what I missed =D

i'll be there in Atlanta too...
i heard it's going to be really really good, with of course the operation mindcrime 1 and 2, plus encore with few old songs. i heard it's like 2.5 hours long

They're playing the Tennessee Theater in Knoxville again this October, but I'm not interested in going. I honestly don't know how much more Queensryche can milk Mindcrime. :Smug:

I tried to listen to MCII again the other day and I just can't handle it! RJD or no RJD, the album is just weak!

I saw this review on another page. I just have to say that just becuase someone is a writer that dont mean they know shit about what a good review is... Now, can you point out the major fuck up that this guy writes about that nullifies his credibility...

Concerts are supposed to be spectacles on some level.
Whether it's the visceral thrill of bass-heavy acoustics or the razzle-dazzle of back-up dancers, the whole point is to give the audience something they can't get listening to the album at home.
In that respect, what Queensryche attempted Sunday night at the Barbara B. Mann Performing Arts Hall was admirable. With actors, props and videos, the band did its best to make the show much more than just plugging headphones into an iPod.But somewhere in between the idea of playing both "Operation: Mindcrime" and "Operation: Mindcrime II" as one big rock opera and the actual execution, something got lost.In attempting too much spectacle, the concert actually took away from the music.After the first few songs, the performance felt less like a concert and more like a really confusing play.Part of the problem was that the story is confusing. It follows the path of Nikki, a junkie hitman controlled by a revolutionary/psychologist Dr. X.The first act finds Nikki meeting a fellow junkie and nun, Sister Mary, falling in love with her and eventually being sentenced to prison for her murder, which he didn't commit. In Act Two, Nikki tracks down Dr. X, kills him and then grapples with thoughts of suicide.But unless you had a pretty good idea of what was going on before the show started, there's no way you would have had a clue what was happening. The actors, who played out their roles in the band's midst, did little other than alternate between wild gesticulation and attempts at looks of desperation.Without the benefit of dialogue, outside of a few snippets that were part of the albums it was up to the songs to tell the story.They didn't in part because of a poor sound mix — at times it was difficult to hear the vocals over the dueling lead guitars — and in part because for the sake of hitting the notes, singer Geoff Tate did a poor job of ennunciating, something crucial for the theatrical aspects of the show.During the second act, he pranced around in a black suit, looking more like a pony-tailed Ricky Gervais (or his sleazy boss character on the BBC's "The Office") than a hitman. Tate's voice, once a pinnicale of metal music's falsetto phase, nowstruggles to hit the notes.Luckily for the audience, the rest of the band played their parts perfectly, though the music — squealing high-pitched guitar runs and double kick drums — sounded dated at best.Guitarists Michael Wilton and Kelly Gray spent most of the three-hour show blasting through incredibly intricate interlaced solos. Bass player Eddie Jackson sang perfect lower harmonies to Tate's high-pitched noisemaking. Drummer Scott Rockenfield's double-kick drum attack kept everyone on task.if it wasn't for all of the pomp getting in the way, it would have been a pretty decentconcert. In fact, the best parts came at the end, after the story was over and the band played a few hits as an encore.There wasn't any canned orchestra music being pumped in for effect, Tate wasn't worried about using his props to full effect, and the songs themselves took center stage.

They just announced 2 new dates for December 1st and 2nd at the HOB in Anaheim.....the one on October 10th is sold out so it looks like I'll be going to one of those......

My biggest concern is Tate's voice - last time I saw QR he was, dare I say, not very good.

actordude said:
They just announced 2 new dates for December 1st and 2nd at the HOB in Anaheim.....the one on October 10th is sold out so it looks like I'll be going to one of those......

My biggest concern is Tate's voice - last time I saw QR he was, dare I say, not very good.

Actually, I thought Tate sounded really good last year when I saw them.

I've seen Queensryche (By far one of my fav all time bands) a dozen times probally. The last I saw them was from October 2004-March 2005 were I attended Operation Mindcrime in its entirity in 3 different cities. Each show was a bit different in certain ways. What I do know is that Geoff Tate and Queensryche still know how to put on a show. Yes, he is getting older. Yes his voice isn't what it used to be. But somehow he continues to kick ass on stage. Even though he didn't hold it for long he still hit that damn high note in the beginning of "Take Hold"! People get so down on the band since Degarmo left saying that it just isn't the same. Well of course it's not the same! Bands don't stay exactly the same when a core member leaves. They always change in some way. Some for better some for worse. Mike Stone is doing a great job I think. Good player and good performer. The rest of the guys havn't changed much. I'm not a huge fan of OMC II at all. I had high expectations for it. I think every true QR fan did. It isn't what I expected, but I feel to see OMC in its entirity again would be well worth it. Truth be told, 2006 Queensryche isn't 80's QR but if you have never seen OMC in its entirity on stage, this is definatly a MUST SEE show! QR should be one of the bands that everyone should see at least once!
...Just my two cents :)

Cool, hope to see some fellow forum members there; I'll
be wearing an Evergrey IN SEARCH OF TRUTH shirt, should
narrow it down a little :)

Cheers,

Neal

MysticX9 said:
Cool, hope to see some fellow forum members there; I'll
be wearing an Evergrey IN SEARCH OF TRUTH shirt, should
narrow it down a little :)

Cheers,

Neal

I'll be sure to look for you and introduce myself if I see you. I'll be wearing a brown polo shirt (yeah, it's not metal, but I need to do some laundry so my clothing choices are limited:lol: ) It should be a great show.