Queensryche Tour

DeGarmo is listed for writing credits on most of MC1, and most of Empire and all previous albums as well, so yeah, a significant loss.

edgeofthorns said:
I never will forget seeing them live in Columbus, OH on the Tribe Tour when Symphony X opened a few dates for them.

I bought the "Art of Live" DVD, which made me glad I skipped the tour...but sorry I bought the DVD!

Went to the show last night and had a great time. True though as most of the previously posted reviews, Geoff cannot hit the high notes anymore and his voice has changed over the years (remember he is not the 20 something year old anymore) but he can still sing and deliver an entertaining show. Actors were good and Pamela did a good job (interesting outfits throughout) and the band was top notch.

Of course MCI was excellent, the songs still carry that kick ass punch as it did years ago. MCII was entertaining and DIO made the show. I do have MCII so I can relate to the songs and enjoyed them. Seeing them played live made them better. Two encores for L.A. were Walk in the Shadows and Jet City Women which absolutely rocked (but this is where you could say Geoff did not hit the high notes on Walk).

I think if you are fan of Queensryche this is a must see show. Granted I do feel that everything after Promiseland was not good especially Tribe. I think MCII is a good way on closing the MC chapter. Now to revist the others. lol.

For the female fans, Geoff is a little heavier but that makes him all the HOTTER. Great arms :Shedevil:

mlo, I was at the show last night too. To be honest and I am not bashing here as I am very much a fan of OM1, OM1 really sucked for me last night... everything felt forced, Tate's voice sounded strained throughout the whole set and at times it was so difficult to hear him I had to take off my earplugs, the way he sang the songs made it sound out of tune with the actual music, it sounded out of timing... I don't know how else to describe it. There were no "magic" moments or any highs for me, I barely moved as I stood and watched (which is very odd for me as I usually go nuts). I was feeling dissapointed as I had seen OM1 live about 2 years ago and it had sounded amazing! A lot of times when he could not hit the high notes he would try to do a quick fix a speak the verses, Pamela had to help him out a lot.

OM2 was fabolous though! It was like getting a brand new Tate and having all the elements of vocals and music click together again, I so enjoyed this part of the show! The "acting" was also better and well DIO was dynamite as always! :headbang:

To those who don't like OM2... if you hear it live you will surely appreciate it better!

MLO... going to Kamelot next Wednesday?

As many of you know, I just moved from Michigan to Texas over the weekend of ProgPower. Scoping out the new scene here in Dallas, I picked up a local music paper that looked promising. Much to my dismay, as soon as I open it I see a review of "Queensryche - Nokia Theater 9/27/06" :ill: I could have cried. I've missed so many tours this summer because of my move, but I forgot all about that when I found out that I just missed my favorite band at a show I COULD HAVE gone to.

On the plus side, I read through the whole paper and saw two articles about ProgPower, written by our very own Andy Laudano, along with several reviews and ads for various power metal acts like Rhapsody of Fire and Axel Rudi Pell!! Happiness! :Spin:

So, no... no I didn't catch Queensryche's latest tour :yell:

sh0kr0k said:
As mnay of you know, I just moved from Michigan to Texas over the weekend of ProgPower. Scoping out the new scene here in Dallas, I picked up a local music paper that looked promising. Much to my dismay, as soon as I open it I see a review of "Queensryche - Nokia Theater 9/27/06" :ill: I could have cried. I've missed so many tours this summer because of my move, but I forgot all about that when I found out that I just missed my favorite band at a show I COULD HAVE gone to.

On the plus side, I read through the whole paper and saw two articles about ProgPower, written by our very own Andy Laudano, along with several reviews and ads for various power metal acts like Rhapsody of Fire and Axel Rudi Pell!! Happiness! :Spin:

So, no... no I didn't catch Queensryche's latest tour :yell:

Hey Tammy!

Thanks for the kind words about my stuff in Harder Beat. Sorry to hear you missed the show. I've been meaning to e-mail you and see how the move to Dallas was going, but I got pretty busy after I got back from Atlanta between work and getting stuff done for the mag. You're actually one up on me, I haven't even seen the new issue yet (I'll see it tomorrow at our monthly staff meeting). The concert callender in HB is usually pretty good about listing most upcoming shows, so keep checkng that out each month. Feel free to e-mail me anytime at hitman-andy@webtv.net if you need anything.

metropolisimages said:
Chris Degarmo must have really been a key ingredient!

They have not been able to really put something amazing together since.

Sorry to say this but the fall of QR cannot be blamed on the departure of DeGarmo like most people seem to think. Eveyone forgets he was with the band during and helped write The Hear And Now Frontier stinker and no one noticed he also returned and helped make the crappy Tribe CD. DeGarmo peaked creativly the same time as everyone else in the band. Fans can debate whether that was on Empire or Promised Land.

Andy Laudano said:
Hey Tammy!

Thanks for the kind words about my stuff in Harder Beat. Sorry to hear you missed the show. I've been meaning to e-mail you and see how the move to Dallas was going, but I got pretty busy after I got back from Atlanta between work and getting stuff done for the mag. You're actually one up on me, I haven't even seen the new issue yet (I'll see it tomorrow at our monthly staff meeting). The concert callender in HB is usually pretty good about listing most upcoming shows, so keep checkng that out each month. Feel free to e-mail me anytime at hitman-andy@webtv.net if you need anything.

Hey Andy! Harder Beat is pretty cool, I'm glad I came across it! :) No worries, I've been mega-busy too! I've got your e-mail, here's mine: tammy@mustangagency.com and my aim is tammyjzepp. Talk to you soon, Andy!

yardleybates said:
I'm so with ya there LunaTEKKE! I heckled them last time we saw them when they closed the show without playing Take Hold of The Flame.

I can see not playing Oueen of the Reich, but not playing "Take Hold Of The Flame" at every last show is a crime. IMO

Andy Laudano said:
Sorry to say this but the fall of QR cannot be blamed on the departure of DeGarmo like most people seem to think. Eveyone forgets he was with the band during and helped write The Hear And Now Frontier stinker and no one noticed he also returned and helped make the crappy Tribe CD.

I was wondering if anyone would mention this. Everyone likes to say that Hear In The Now Frontier and the later albums are so horrible and the slide is because DeGarmo left, when HITNF was really DeGarmo's baby.

That said, HITNF is actually one of my favorite QR albums. There's a good 5-6 songs on there that I absolutely love. I realize I'm in a small minority, but I just wanted to point out that it's all a matter of opinion. I don't mind when bands head in new directions - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Most of HITNF works for me. I sense that most metal fans want all the new albums to sound just like their favorite classic albums.

In the interview posted on Evergrey's Myspace page that POLLUTION links to, Tom is quoted as saying that the album that has had the most impact on him personally was/is....OPERATION MINDCRIME.

SeaStorm said:
I was wondering if anyone would mention this. Everyone likes to say that Hear In The Now Frontier and the later albums are so horrible and the slide is because DeGarmo left, when HITNF was really DeGarmo's baby.

That said, HITNF is actually one of my favorite QR albums. There's a good 5-6 songs on there that I absolutely love. I realize I'm in a small minority, but I just wanted to point out that it's all a matter of opinion. I don't mind when bands head in new directions - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Most of HITNF works for me. I sense that most metal fans want all the new albums to sound just like their favorite classic albums.

I don't want the new albums to sound exactly like the classic ones, but I do want to hear the elements that made me a fan of the band in the first place. With QR I was obviously drawn to Tates amazing voice but it was the song's catchy choruses, the melody, the signature guitar pitch, etc. that kept me coming back. "Queen of the Reich," "The Lady Wore Black," "Take Hold of the Flame," "Walk In the Shadows" - these aren't great songs just because they came out first, these are great songs because they're memorable. They stick in your head and beg you to sing along. The songs on O:MCI did more than just tell a cool story, they grabbed you with those dual lead guitars and catchy choruses and never let go. Concept albums normally don't spawn singles, which makes sense as each song is just a part of the whole story, but "Revolution Calling," "Operation: Mindcrime," "Breakng the Silence," "I Don't Believe In Love" and "Eyes Of A Stranger" all got a ton of airplay because they were also great, catchy individual songs. After Empire it was like they suddenly forgot how to do what they did best. Tate could still sing and the band could still play but that distictive guitar sound was missing and there was nothing catchy or memorable about the songs.

Andy Laudano said:
DeGarmo peaked creativly the same time as everyone else in the band. Fans can debate whether that was on Empire or Promised Land.

...or on the *original* Mindcrime...

:heh:

LunaTEKKE said:
...or on the *original* Mindcrime...

:heh:

There's no doubt in my mind that the original Mindcrime was their masterpiece, IMO that's THE greatest album ever made. But Empire wasn't much of a step down. It was easilly their biggest commercial success and as good or better than anything before O:MCI. It had some great songs - not just the big radio hits like "Empire," "Jet City Woman" and "Best I Can," but the underrated and underplayed "Another Rainy Night," the moody "Della Brown" and the cool as hell "The Thin Line." Not to mention the song that really put them on the map, the Pink Floyd sounding "Silent Lucidity." I know there are going to be some fans out there that hate that song because it got so popular and overexposed, but there's no denying that it's a great song. I'd rank Empire as QR's second best album overall, but I'd have to say "Take Hold of the Flame" and "The Lady Wore Black" are my two all-time favorite QR songs.

Andy Laudano said:
I don't want the new albums to sound exactly like the classic ones, but I do want to hear the elements that made me a fan of the band in the first place. With QR I was obviously drawn to Tates amazing voice but it was the song's catchy choruses, the melody, the signature guitar pitch, etc. that kept me coming back. "Queen of the Reich," "The Lady Wore Black," "Take Hold of the Flame," "Walk In the Shadows" - these aren't great songs just because they came out first, these are great songs because they're memorable. They stick in your head and beg you to sing along. The songs on O:MCI did more than just tell a cool story, they grabbed you with those dual lead guitars and catchy choruses and never let go. Concept albums normally don't spawn singles, which makes sense as each song is just a part of the whole story, but "Revolution Calling," "Operation: Mindcrime," "Breakng the Silence," "I Don't Believe In Love" and "Eyes Of A Stranger" all got a ton of airplay because they were also great, catchy individual songs. After Empire it was like they suddenly forgot how to do what they did best. Tate could still sing and the band could still play but that distictive guitar sound was missing and there was nothing catchy or memorable about the songs.

I completley agree with Andy here... it seems that perhaps QR tried to blend in with the early 90's grunge movement in order to survive as a band and still be 'relevant' during a time with detuned guitars and simple arrangements ruled the day. There wasn't much of a place for the "thinking man's metal band" during those years. So, I don't completely fault QR for changing up their sound for those reasons... However, they haven't made their way back to their "roots" and I attribute that mostly to Geoff's musical tastes changing as he seems to be the driving creative force behind QR these days. I would *love* to have them return to their old sound, but I'm certain that ship has sailed - Tate and Stone wrote the majority of the music for O:MII (why were there no contributions from Michael, Eddie and Scott on the follow-up to the original masterpiece???)

Andy Laudano said:
There's no doubt in my mind that the original Mindcrime was their masterpiece, IMO that's THE greatest album ever made. But Empire wasn't much of a step down. It was easilly their biggest commercial success and as good or better than anything before O:MCI. It had some great songs - not just the big radio hits like "Empire," "Jet City Woman" and "Best I Can," but the underrated and underplayed "Another Rainy Night," the moody "Della Brown" and the cool as hell "The Thin Line."

Concur. Operation:Mindcrime was the album that got me into 'serious' metal to stay, and it will always have a special place in my heart....

Not to mention the song that really put them on the map, the Pink Floyd sounding "Silent Lucidity." I know there are going to be some fans out there that hate that song because it got so popular and overexposed, but there's no denying that it's a great song.

Absolutely.

I clearly remember sitting in a cafe during an SF/fantasy convention in Greenville, SC, with Sue, a friend of mine, when I first saw the video for "Silent Lucidity." I had heard the song before, but after the video finished we looked at eachother in shock. "Wow," we both said in stereo.*
At that moment I knew that, finally, FINALLY, a band that I really liked was going to get the commercial and industry attention they deserved....and they did. The video was voted Best of the Year in the MTV Viewers' Poll. :kickass:

=-=-=-=-=-
* where available

Andy Laudano said:
the underrated and underplayed "Another Rainy Night,"

Hear, hear! In fact, Another Rainy Night is not simply my favorite QR song, but it is my favorite song period. By any band. And QR is probably not even in my Top 5 bands (but definitely Top 10).