Queensryche Tour

yardleybates said:
I heckled them last time we saw them when they closed the show without playing Take Hold of The Flame. They were playing new crap though.

It's funny (well, sad funny, not ha-ha funny) how early on, Geoff Tate used to say in interviews that they always closed with “Take Hold of the Flame” because they liked to end on “a note of hope.” And then at some point, they pulled the rug out from under us… :mad:

SeaStorm said:
I struggle a bit through the first half looking forward to the Dio track (#10) and the ones after it. I think about 5 out of the final 7 songs are just awesome.

Interesting…I think I like the first half of the CD better *because* I have the Dio track to look forward to! I also like the bit at the end of “Speed of Light” where Nikki is carrying on with the voices in his head, and he finally shuts them all up with, “Don’t worry – I’ll kill the bastard.” :headbang:

LunaTEKKE said:
It's funny (well, sad funny, not ha-ha funny) how early on, Geoff Tate used to say in interviews that they always closed with “Take Hold of the Flame” because they liked to end on “a note of hope.” And then at some point, they pulled the rug out from under us… :mad:

The Dallas show was awesome but unfortunately no "Take Hold of the Flame." We got "The Whisper" and "Jet City Woman." It's just WRONG to see QR and not have them end with (or at least play) "Take Hold." For me that song IS QR!

LunaTEKKE said:
Interesting…I think I like the first half of the CD better *because* I have the Dio track to look forward to! I also like the bit at the end of “Speed of Light” where Nikki is carrying on with the voices in his head, and he finally shuts them all up with, “Don’t worry – I’ll kill the bastard.” :headbang:

I also liked the first half better because of the Dio song, the one you mentioned and "One Foot In Hell" ("... because Mary was more than a whore"). I realize people are really split on O:MCII but it was cool to see live with the actors and everything. It gave real closure to the story. That said, I'm indefferent to ever hearing that material again.

edgeofthorns said:
Am I the only one that thinks this new disc of theirs is total crap? :Smug: I'm really curious to see how much more Queensryche can milk the original Mindcrime in order to market their recent junk.

I would probably say "mostly" rather than "total." :) I never thought I'd see the day when i would sort of hope the ryche would give up the ghost, but I think that day passed a long time ago unfortunately. :/ At least i still enjoy them live for the most part.

Shaye

Andy Laudano said:
The Dallas show was awesome but unfortunately no "Take Hold of the Flame." We got "The Whisper" and "Jet City Woman." It's just WRONG to see QR and not have them end with (or at least play) "Take Hold." For me that song IS QR!
An excellent song...if I do say so myself!

I also got to see the Dallas Queensryche show - and I'm sorry I missed seeing you there Andy - but I did see Matt from our lunch table at Front Page News (or rather he saw me) in the parking lot and so the ProgPower friend connection continues even outside of Atlanta.

I was actually disappointed in the concert... Geoff was definitely struggling to hit the high notes (which was exacerbated by the AWESOME quality of sound in the Nokia Theater.) He was lucky to have Pamela Moore doubling his voice on a lot of the songs. It also sounded to me like the guitars were tuned down to accommodate his lower register... the beginning of Speak was a prime example of this - that opening riff was not nearly as piercing as it is on the CD.

The actors on stage/production values walked a very thin line for me as well -borderline cheesy rather than being cool (and I saw the show they did for just O:M I.) This production certainly seemed to be Geoff's baby... Michael and Eddie just stood in their respective areas of the stage most of the night and didn't move around much (other than when Wilton played a dueling solo with Stone) nor did they interact with the performance on stage at all. Hell, they didn't even look at what was taking place on the stage around them! I realize that they were performing a story, but Tate didn't interact with the crowd at all until the encore! Saying "Hello, Dallas" after playing for two+ hours was lame...

Anyway, my opinion as a long-time Ryche fan (they have been my favorite band since I heard the EP in '84) was that this show seemed to confirm my fear that the sun is setting quickly on what was a remarkable career.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 was a sad day for me.

Thorn23TX said:
I also got to see the Dallas Queensryche show - and I'm sorry I missed seeing you there Andy - but I did see Matt from our lunch table at Front Page News (or rather he saw me) in the parking lot and so the ProgPower friend connection continues even outside of Atlanta.

I was actually disappointed in the concert... Geoff was definitely struggling to hit the high notes (which was exacerbated by the AWESOME quality of sound in the Nokia Theater.) He was lucky to have Pamela Moore doubling his voice on a lot of the songs. It also sounded to me like the guitars were tuned down to accommodate his lower register... the beginning of Speak was a prime example of this - that opening riff was not nearly as piercing as it is on the CD.

The actors on stage/production values walked a very thin line for me as well -borderline cheesy rather than being cool (and I saw the show they did for just O:M I.) This production certainly seemed to be Geoff's baby... Michael and Eddie just stood in their respective areas of the stage most of the night and didn't move around much (other than when Wilton played a dueling solo with Stone) nor did they interact with the performance on stage at all. Hell, they didn't even look at what was taking place on the stage around them! I realize that they were performing a story, but Tate didn't interact with the crowd at all until the encore! Saying "Hello, Dallas" after playing for two+ hours was lame...

Anyway, my opinion as a long-time Ryche fan (they have been my favorite band since I heard the EP in '84) was that this show seemed to confirm my fear that the sun is setting quickly on what was a remarkable career.

Sorry I missed seeing you too. I had all my photos from Prog Power with me to show another friend. I did talk to two guys wearing the limited edition Evergrey shirts though.

I enjoyed the show overall. Tate definately sounded better doing O:MCI a couple of years ago though. I think he was holding back a bit the first half knowing he still had to do the second part. Still, just to see the masterpiece performed one more time was awesome! I enjoyed the actors and thought they did an even better job telling the story this time around. Two years ago they finally answered any questions about what happened to Mary and this time around the answered any lingering questions about O:MCII. The second half of the O:MCII CD was so vague that I really had no clue how it all ended. I liked the way they played straight through without stopping between songs for crowd interaction. There wasn't any need for Eddie or Michael (or Scott or Stone) to interact with the actors, only Geoff had a role in the story. I guess I just went in expecting more than just a standard rock concert.

I was still pissed about no "Take Hold" though.

I've been a fan since the EP too. I loved everything up to and including Empire. Other than a song or two I didn't care for Promised Land and knew the sun had already set by the time The Hear and Now Frontier and Q2K came around.

Thorn23TX said:

Sorry I missed out on the Front Page News reunion...Dallas was obviously THE place to be for this show!

I found the performance here in Phoenix a little “sad” as well. I couldn’t help but think back to the last time I had seen O:M in its entirety, when QR played to sold-out stadiums with a massive stage production – and the other half of the setlist absolutely ROCKED. Other random thoughts:

* 20-minute intermission: WTF?? There were already plenty of opportunities during O:MII for concession stand runs and bathroom breaks. It was a “school night” for some of us…and I would have rather had the extra 20 minutes to get home earlier and catch a few more zzzzzzz's. (Oh, hell, maybe I’m just getting old…)

* Geoff Tate: Sounded good on the old stuff and excellent on the new material (which is obviously better suited to his range these days).

* The Dio Track: Huge, huge disappointment. OK, I knew the Dio vocals would be taped, but…um…where the hell was Geoff during this song?

* The Crowd: Excellent. If the show wasn’t sold out, it was close. Not only was the entire crowd on their feet during all of O:M I, almost everyone was on their feet for all of O:MII as well.

* Dual-guitar work from Wilton and Stone: :headbang:

* Encore: “Walk in the Shadows” and “Jet City Woman.” :erk: Oh, to hear a live performance of “Take Hold of the Flame,” “Queen of the Reich,” or “The Lady Wore Black” again…

* Bottom line: After seeing the “Building Empires” tour in Nashville, TN all those years ago, a friend and I drove to Lexington, KY because we just had to see the show ONE MORE TIME. I’m glad I went to this show, but probably wouldn’t purchase another concert ticket – much less a tank of gas or a plane ticket – to see it again.

I had a blast at the Chicago show, although it kind of sucked that it was the Thursday before progpower. I was out until midnight watching that show (I didn't get home until after 1) then I had to get up at 6 to catch my flight to Atlanta...not fun.

Either way, Queensryche rocked and seeing all of Mindcrime 2 performed live right after Mindcrime 1 actually gave me a new respect for the album. I thought it was average at best before the show, but after seeing it live I like it much more.

LunaTEKKE said:
Sorry I missed out on the Front Page News reunion...Dallas was obviously THE place to be for this show!

I found the performance here in Phoenix a little “sad” as well. I couldn’t help but think back to the last time I had seen O:M in its entirety, when QR played to sold-out stadiums with a massive stage production – and the other half of the setlist absolutely ROCKED. Other random thoughts:

* 20-minute intermission: WTF?? There were already plenty of opportunities during O:MII for concession stand runs and bathroom breaks. It was a “school night” for some of us…and I would have rather had the extra 20 minutes to get home earlier and catch a few more zzzzzzz's. (Oh, hell, maybe I’m just getting old…)

* Geoff Tate: Sounded good on the old stuff and excellent on the new material (which is obviously better suited to his range these days).

* The Dio Track: Huge, huge disappointment. OK, I knew the Dio vocals would be taped, but…um…where the hell was Geoff during this song?

* The Crowd: Excellent. If the show wasn’t sold out, it was close. Not only was the entire crowd on their feet during all of O:M I, almost everyone was on their feet for all of O:MII as well.

* Dual-guitar work from Wilton and Stone: :headbang:

* Encore: “Walk in the Shadows” and “Jet City Woman.” :erk: Oh, to hear a live performance of “Take Hold of the Flame,” “Queen of the Reich,” or “The Lady Wore Black” again…

* Bottom line: After seeing the “Building Empires” tour in Nashville, TN all those years ago, a friend and I drove to Lexington, KY because we just had to see the show ONE MORE TIME. I’m glad I went to this show, but probably wouldn’t purchase another concert ticket – much less a tank of gas or a plane ticket – to see it again.

I was also lucky enough to see the "Building Empires" tour all those years ago. That wasn't just a concert, that was a religious experiance!! I knew going in this time that there was NO WAY they could ever equal that perfect moment in time. Think about it for a moment. They had just released Empire, their biggest commercial success. "Silent Lucidity" was everywhere on the radio and MTV. Chris DeGarmo was still in the band. This was the FIRST time they were going to play their masterpiece, Operation: Mindcrime straight through, something most of us had never seen any band attempt before (the anticipation, could they actually pull it off, would it be as good as the album?), Also the first time to hear the killer tracks from Empire live. At that point they appeared to be invincible, a band with a bright future, that could do no wrong, not a band that had peaked and tarnished that perfect image with a buch of crappy albums over the years.

As for your other points ... There may have been plenty of opportunities for the crowd to have a bathroom break during O:MCII but the BAND needed the break after playing O:MCI straight through.

I was disappointed Tate wasnt onstage singing his part of the Dio song too. It just seemed ... weird.

Wilton and Stone were great! Stone was the key ... he had to be able to pull off DeGarmo's parts and have "that sound" that was so identifiable on O:MCI in order for the show to work.

You would have liked the 2004 tour better. They did all those songs, "Queen of the Ryche," "Take Hold of the Flame" and (a slightly changed version of) "The Lady Wore Black" along with all of O:MCI.

I feel the same way. Glad I saw the show but wouldn't travel somewhere to catch another.

Looking forward to the show here tomorrow night. After reading everyone's comments, I will post mine on Friday. I will let everyone know how DIO does live.:Shedevil:

Well they did great in Houston. Geoff had trouble from time to time hitting certain notes but thats to be expected. I was not impressed with Mindcrime 2 however. Nor were many of the fans. people started leaving a few songs into their second set which was Mindcrime 2...

metropolisimages said:
Oh yea, I forgot to ask.. Did they have that rave type music at other shows for their intro? It was strange

The stuff they were playing in Phoenix seemed like an odd choice for a metal concert, but then I realized it sounded like Pamela Moore...

Just got back from the San Diego show. I liked it, I thought the actors was kind of cool. Tate's voice was definitely not there a lot of the time. Usually just blank for high notes or words with a lot of force to them. Still, I enjoyed it. This despite the sound absolutely sucking for MC1. Very hard to hear Tate sing, and overall way too quiet. They seemed to get a clue for MC2, and had a much better setup.

I got a bit more out of seeing MC2 done live, but still think the album is average. Sounds like it was similar to other shows. Tate never acknowledged the audience until the encore, and they did Empire and Jet City.

I'm glad I went, but I won't go see another metal show at that venue. It was my first time going to Humphreys, and it blew.

lady_space said:
I would probably say "mostly" rather than "total." :) I never thought I'd see the day when i would sort of hope the ryche would give up the ghost, but I think that day passed a long time ago unfortunately. :/ At least i still enjoy them live for the most part.

Shaye

Well, I'm like you. They should've called it quits after Promised Land and took some time off. After a decade or so they could've done a reunion tour and I would've been able to take them more seriously as opposed to having to live through Hear In The Now Frontier, Q2K, Tribe, and Mindcrime II. :erk:

I never will forget seeing them live in Columbus, OH on the Tribe Tour when Symphony X opened a few dates for them. Geoff Tate was jumping up and down on stage like he was a 16 year old performing at the high school dance, while one of the best prog metal bands was back stage (Symphony X). It was completly embarrasing! I mean I was actually embarrased for the entire band.