Question about lyrics...?

hi: There is a word in the song One More that I don´t understand, the word is TANKARD, It appears in "I reach for my tankard of Ale" If someone know the meaning please write to me.

MorfrëëK;6494823 said:
hi: There is a word in the song One More that I don´t understand, the word is TANKARD, It appears in "I reach for my tankard of Ale" If someone know the meaning please write to me.

Tankard is a large pint, probably with a lid in top of it.
And google is your friend:

In "Miklagard Overture", there are the lines:

"The Norwegian of rank
In the court of The Prince
I was convinced"

I was just wondering if anyone knows who or what he's refering to? Just curious... :)

Hello to all,this is my first post in this forum so I'll go on to reply to that question.NorskChick I think the lyrics refer to Harald Hardraada,the Norwegian noble who came to Constantinople along with his fellow Vikings and other Northern men in the same way that the "Varangian Way" describes,following the same route and ended up in Constantinople where he served in the Varangian Guard and soon became the leader of the Guard and a famous warrior trusted by the Emperor and Empress who led many succesful attacks and sieges against the enemies of the Empire.After many years of service he gathered many riches and left Constantinople.He went back to Norway and became the famous king Harald Hardraada.

Hey, it's been bugging me for a while.. can someone tell me what "the man-made birds in thier trees" refers to in miklagard overture? I honestly have no idea.

@Siriku
well, you definetely chose not easy lanuages XD
start with some easier languages maybe ;)
(I speak German, English, Spanish, French, a little Finnish so far, can read Norwegian and dutch aswell as a very little of Swedish)

My only guess is that the man-made refers to the trees as well as birds, and they refer to bells in towers. This would explain 'out lloud their peaen rings'

Constantinople was the greatest city of that time, it was the last real remaining of the Roman Empire, and according to memoirs of some western visitors it was indeed incredible. Unlike western Europe of that time which was very dark, the Eastern world in general (including muslim states) were much different, they looked like heaven, so the Byzantines had lots of stuff inside their imperial city which were there to impress the visitors, some of them being bronze trees with bronze birds on the branches which could somehow emit cries of different species.

Hello to all,this is my first post in this forum so I'll go on to reply to that question.NorskChick I think the lyrics refer to Harald Hardraada,the Norwegian noble who came to Constantinople along with his fellow Vikings and other Northern men in the same way that the "Varangian Way" describes,following the same route and ended up in Constantinople where he served in the Varangian Guard and soon became the leader of the Guard and a famous warrior trusted by the Emperor and Empress who led many succesful attacks and sieges against the enemies of the Empire.After many years of service he gathered many riches and left Constantinople.He went back to Norway and became the famous king Harald Hardraada.
Yeah, but history mainly remembered him because his defeat at the Stamford Bridge is usually taken as the end of the Viking Age :p

I think I answered that... there were bronze trees in front of the Imperial throne with bronze birds on the branches that could emit cries of different species.
As for the weapon, crossbows were never used in the Eastern world, and even in the west they were not widely used until the 13th/14th century but in that time the Varangian Guard didn't even exist anymore and from the end of the 11th century it was mainly consisted of the Anglo-Saxons, while the story of the Varangian Way is clearly taking place in the first half of the 11th century since both Harald Hardrada and Yaroslav I the Wise take part in it.

Hey guys, I don't want to start a new thread, so I'll post my question here. :] I was wondering about the translation of the Russian part in "In the court of Jarisleif" (it sounds like Russian, not sure though) and is it Nygård who sings it? I'm sorry if this has already been answered ... I coudn't find it :]

Oh .. well. I doubted it was Nygard as well, but when I heard him sing "Ochi Chorneye" the other day, I wasn't so sure any more (at least the melody was to "Ochi Chorneye", as far as I remember all he was saying was la-la-la-laaa :p) But thanks anyway :]] (In my opinion, the song might have been sung by the Varangians ... I mean .. it's not so illogical, given the fact they were among Slavs all along their way.)

WHat does Nygard yell at the beginning at the Messenger? It's not on any lyrics pages. To me it sounds like he's just going "Rego!" but I have no clue what that mean.

Does anyone have any idea?