Question about lyrics...?

I've got another question about a couple separate lyrics. Hopefully someone can shed some light on these for me.

In "A Portage to the Unknown" there is the following verse, which references Plato's earth transparent, and what seems to be a Platonic solid. Could anyone elaborate on this for me?

"Six regular edges and six vertices
Six equilateral triangles
Six square faces in another direction
Plato's earth transparent"
------------------------------------------------
I take it that "The Heart of Turisas" was the precursor to "Battle Metal"?
In "The Dnieper Rapids" did anyone else assume The Insatiable One was the river itself, or did they believe it was one of the Turkics?
What does Rex Regi Rebellis mean?
And finally, since I have so many questions. What is the general idea of Rex Regi Rebellis, sadly I don't understand Finnish. I'd really love to know what the song is all about though.

That's it! (for now)

Reactions: selenaD
In "A Portage to the Unknown" there is the following verse, which references Plato's earth transparent, and what seems to be a Platonic solid. Could anyone elaborate on this for me?

Online lyrics sources fail once again. The net seems to be filled with "wrong" lyrics. This is what's printed in the booklet.

Six square faces in another dimension

Plato's earth is in indeed one of the Platonic solids - a cube. The whole verse refers to a geometrical figure. And this figure carries a meaning. (Ps. a cube has 8 vertices...)

In "The Dnieper Rapids" did anyone else assume The Insatiable One was the river itself, or did they believe it was one of the Turkics?

The song is about seven rapids on the river Dnieper (which ceased to exist after the building of canals in the mid 19th century and an electric station on the river in the 1930's). The rapids had different names and meanings in different languages (Slavonic, Norse etc.) also depending a bit on the interperator. The fourth rapid - and the most fierce of them all - was in Slavonic known as Nenasytets - The Insatiable.

What does Rex Regi Rebellis mean?

Would translate "The king is rebellious towards the king" meaning "You are your own enemy". It's a reference to a historical novel by Zacharias Topelius' called "Surgeon's Stories" which the text for the Prologue for R.R.R. is from as well. It deals with the Thirty Years' War.

Hi,
I've always wondered what the part in latin(? I asume) where the choir is on Miklagard Overture meant, can anyone enlighten me?

Nygård;8319352 said:

Wow! That's fantastic information! I would be lying if I said that having a member of the band personally respond wasn't unbelievable on it's own, but to also go into depth and give clarity to my own inquiry. It makes today a very proud day for me to be a fan of this fine band.

Thank you very much!

I took my TVW booklet into school and asked my ancient history teacher what the Greek part (4:50+) of it says and he was like "Oh it's Byzantine Greek" and I was like "Uh...yeah it is..." nonchalantly, as if I already knew that (it's all Greek to me).

Anyways

"Today is the day of our deliverance (or safety) and the revelation of the age old mystery."

And also, "sui generis" means "above all else" I think, I didn't write it down after he told me so I might have forgotten it.

I took my TVW booklet into school and asked my ancient history teacher what the Greek part (4:50+) of it says and he was like "Oh it's Byzantine Greek" and I was like "Uh...yeah it is..." nonchalantly, as if I already knew that (it's all Greek to me).

Smooth dude...smooth.
Thanks for the info! (It's all Greek to me...ha!)

Write the original here if you want, and I will give you a precise translation (being Greek myself :p)

I don't have the booklet anywhere near me at the moment, and to tell the truth, I never actually read the lyrics, since I hate the Byzantines (they where those who destroyed Greece) but from the bits and pieces I can pick up by listening to it, it doesn't sound like something that would translate to what your teacher told you....

Damn it, I just understood what it says:
Σήμερον της σωτηρίας ημών το κεφάλαιον, και του απ' αιώνος μυστηρίου η φανέρωσις

It speaks about the day Jeshua (or as the christians call him... Jesus) was born. It is chanted during the christmas days...

It is translated to:

Today, our salvation's chapter (begins), and the aeons' (meaning centuries old, I guess) mystery's the revelation (meaning the thophany)

In a more rough translation it basically means:

Today starts the chapter of our salvation, and the centuries-old mystery will be revealed (god will present himself)...

Damned Byzantines, we have Zeus and Odin. We don't need a carpenter as a god...

I wrote greek on a beginning but then I thought I was wrong and edited it, haha, guess I should pay more attention to my instincts :p

Thanks by the way for clearing that doubt, cheers! :kickass:

You probably also want to see the end of the song - "Branded at birth with the sign of Perun" - Wikipedia has this link which shows the symbol (sign) of Perun as "6 equilateral triangles". It also looks like it could be a cube in 3D ("six square faces in another dimension").

Going back to the start of the thread:
In "Miklagard Overture", there are the lines:

"The Norwegian of rank
In the court of The Prince
I was convinced"

I was just wondering if anyone knows who or what he's refering to? Just curious... :)

I always figured that to be related to "In the Court of Jarisleif" and "Five Hundred and One". The Court of "prince" Jarisleif gives the location. "Five Hundred and One" refers to the protagonist being "convinced" to go with the others by the ranking Norwegian (Nordbrikt?). Of course, I could be wrong...

Reactions: selenaD
It gladdens me enourmously to see that there is a handful of people who actually take the time and can see beyond the "like OMG.. they sing about drinking and battles and stuff and have like accordions and polka and fucking epic warpaint and shit..." -mass.

Trying to tell a sensible story in only a few lines and almost completely subordinate to rythm isn't always that easy, and this thread has given me more than you could ever imagine.

So thanks. :)

No thanks!! I we want to like OMG.. they sing about drinking and stuff and have like accordions and polka we will listen to Korpiklaani :p