Question For Atlanta Residents

The_Q

No More Posts
Mar 29, 2003
www.metal-fan.org
As many of you are, I am gearing up for Septembers festivities. I recently saw a show on the food channel all about Atlanta and saw two eateries that I am interested in. One is called Fat Matts Barbeque. I was wondering if anyone has been there. It is claimed to be THE BEST in barbeque so I have to try it. PLUS they have live blues music. Which, considering the kind of music that ProgPower will be, will be a nice diversion. The other place is a hit dog drive in which I cannot remember the name of. But I do remember the hot dogs are boxed up in a little carton. If you know about these places please let me know. Thanks.

I live about 80 miles from Atlanta and ate at Fat Matt's last week for the first time after reading the high praises (from Creative Loafing, Atlanta's free weekly). I was kind of disappointed actually. I ordered half a rack of ribs which was fairly decent with the sauce which was good. The two sides I ordered were the baked beans and Brunswick stew which were average at best. My wife was really pissed. She had a quarter chicken with potato salad and the Brunswick stew. She bitched about the chicken being dry but gave in to the fact the sauce was fair. What pissed her off the most was the layout of the joint, which may be proper for some with regard to barbeque. You order at a counter and have a few tables lined up to sit at, kinda like a small cafeteria setup. We sat at the very end, right next to the stage for live bands (they play at night, so don't plan on catching them in the daytime, at least not on our day). When we were there, this woman that swept floors and busted tables and such just kinda lingered within a couple feet of us, sweeping right by our table. The thing is, when she "finished", the stuff she was sweeping was still in the floor beside us. I'm sure she was trying to aggravate. My wife said she was a cock hair from sticking a fork in her and deflating her.
I know a lot of people traveling into Atlanta will be depending on Marta for transportation, but if for some reason you are in your own vehicle, take I-75 North into Marietta and try Williamson Brothers BBQ, it puts Fat Matt's to shame. If you want to stay close to Earthlink, I would recommend for sure to go to The Vortex in Little Five Points. This is not a BBQ place, but they have a bunch of varieties of burgers as well as a great beer selection. You have to walk through a huge skull to get in. That place is several miles from Earthlink.

From my experience in several barbeque places in and around Chicago (Russells Steakhouse being the BEST!) the layout you describe at Fat Matts is par for the course in barbeque places. They all have the "oicnic" style seating. Any idea what the name of that hot dog place in Atlanta is? Its a drive in so I know its populae,

The_Q said:
Any idea what the name of that hot dog place in Atlanta is? Its a drive in so I know its populae,
sounds like you're talking about the Varsity. it's fairly close to earthlink, just a few blocks south and one block west, but still a healthy walk away.

Ryan

If you could catch a band playing at Fat Matt's, you probably would have a good experience there. The sauce is good and they have a patio if you want to eat outside and watched the traffic on Piedmont go by. The joint is also pretty close to Earthlink so that's an advantage too. If you do happen to be driving from up there and come into Atlanta on I-75, I would reccomend the place I mentioned earlier in Marietta (Williamson Bros.). If interested, I could give you the exact directions.
As far as the hot dog place goes, I'm not sure but the program you mentioned may have been talking about The Varsity which is also close to Earthlink. I'm not sure about the drive in part though. It seems like my daughter mentioned the dogs there. There's a place at Turner Field called Frankly My Dear that is phenomenal if you like a good dog. Of course, you are coming for the rock instead of the baseball. If it's not The Varsity that you saw on the program, I'd be curious myself to know what you 'did' see.

THATS IT!!!! The Varsity!!! How far is it walking wise from The Granada as well as the other hot dog place you mentioned? Thanks.

Shit, the Varsity is a good half hour or more from the venue, I remember that form PP III. It's not so bad with some people but on the way back I suggest the MArta. Oh man, I remember I had two chili dogs, three burgers, onion rings a coke and one of those godly bad ass Orange frozen things. Hell, I want one now dammit, and before anyone gets amazed at the amount of food I listed, theyre pretty small but cheap as well. Like a burger's somewhere between 50 cents and a 79. Man, those Orange drink do kick ass though, Im wondering where I can get one...

Ben

Fat Matt's Rib Shack is a good barbecue joint. It isn't "fine dining w/ world class service". As a rib shack/blues joint it is probably one of the best I have ever had, but it is known for its BBQ not its ambiance.
The Varsity on the other hand is one of those places that everyone who ever comes here ought to try. It is an enormous and greesy hot dog/burger joint, but has an interesting culture all its own. On the other hand, if your diet was restricted to it, I don't think you would last more than a week. 8^)

The Varsity is probably about two miles from The Granada, but it's my understanding that The Granada offers a free shuttle service "within a three-mile radius" of the hotel :headbang:

Well I can tell you about 90 miles SW of Atlanta in the bi-city area of Phenix City Al./Columbus Ga. are 27 different barbeque restaurants. Don't get me wrong, I am sure very few of you would want to drive 90 miles out of the way for a plate of BBQ, but some of the world's finest can be found in those two cities and this was my chance to plug my hometown as well. :err:

Bryant

Droooooool! I love BBQ, anybody else watch those BBQ cookoffs on the Food Network? Last one was sponsored by Jack Daniels, I was dying and they always show those late a night!

Layla's Dad said:
If you do happen to be driving from up there and come into Atlanta on I-75, I would reccomend the place I mentioned earlier in Marietta (Williamson Bros.).
After seeing the recommendations here on the board, I tried out Williamson Bros for lunch today. Not bad, not bad at all! Geez, I only live about 5 minutes from there, but had never tried them out. Good recommendation.:D

:Smokin:

Bryant said:
Well I can tell you about 90 miles SW of Atlanta in the bi-city area of Phenix City Al./Columbus Ga. are 27 different barbeque restaurants. Don't get me wrong, I am sure very few of you would want to drive 90 miles out of the way for a plate of BBQ, but some of the world's finest can be found in those two cities and this was my chance to plug my hometown as well. :err:

Bryant

I would be very interested in hearing your favorites. My family and I go to Columbus through Phenix City all the time. Of course Country's BBQ is a staple. I used to run the Midnight Express 5K every year and think I will this year too. We went to one (this joint used to be a Country's too at one time) at that intersection of the 280 Bypass & US 80 (the road toward Crawford & the dirt track) one night en route to a Cottonmouths game and it was acceptable. I remember reading a special in the Ledger-Enquirer some time ago about the BBQ joints, but that article got away from me.

Rakosh said:
After seeing the recommendations here on the board, I tried out Williamson Bros for lunch today. Not bad, not bad at all! Geez, I only live about 5 minutes from there, but had never tried them out. Good recommendation.:D

I love that place. My wife and I were just driving along a couple years ago the day after Scorpions/Deep Purple/Dio and when I smelled that place driving by it I hit the brakes hard. They lead you through there to a table and you can see all this meat cooking over fire and coals and then they feed you til you hurt. I made the mistake of getting an appetizer before my plate.
Way too much food for a 200 lb man like myself. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
This is off the subject of BBQ, but on to Mexican food. Have you ever ate at Los Reyes? It's on the same exit as Kennesaw State, next to the Fairfield and Sidelines Grille. That is the best Mexican food I have ever encountered and I've ate plenty of it.

Layla's Dad said:
I would be very interested in hearing your favorites. My family and I go to Columbus through Phenix City all the time. Of course Country's BBQ is a staple. I used to run the Midnight Express 5K every year and think I will this year too. We went to one (this joint used to be a Country's too at one time) at that intersection of the 280 Bypass & US 80 (the road toward Crawford & the dirt track) one night en route to a Cottonmouths game and it was acceptable. I remember reading a special in the Ledger-Enquirer some time ago about the BBQ joints, but that article got away from me.

Cool !!! Glad to see someone knows my little "neck of the woods." Didn't notice you were from Valley. That's just a skip and a hop away. I went there a couple of years ago when I was vehicle shoopping. Nice little town. I often go to the "long bridge" for the fireworks on the 4th but I was out of town this year.

To me Country's has some of the best southern food, like fried chicken and hamburger steak and stuff, but I find their barbeque to be fairly average. The best BBQ item at Country's is the "Patriot" sandwich to me. It's expensive but it is a large sandwich with both BBQ beef and pork on the sandwich.
The place you refer to on 80 (crawford road) is called Hickory House. Much like Country's I get the hamburger steak there as opposed to BBQ. There is not one standout place really but different places have different items that are good. On Hamilton Road (turn off of Manchester Expw left if you are heading toward the mall at the MCDonalds and you will see alittle mom and pop place a few blocks on the left called "Fat Freddie's." The last time I ate their, they had the best BBQ chicken in town. You get a half a bird and two sides with the platter I believe.
Also on 4th Avenue (Now called veterans Parkway) accross from the "projects" is a black establishment called Chesters. I wouldn't go at night being in a high crime area, but you can't beat the ribs there. They are outstanding.
13th Street Barbeque which is on 7th Avenue (right off of 13th street the same road that becomes hwy 80 but in the downtown area has a mean pork chop sandwhich and chipped sandwiches for $1 is a good place.
Mike and Ed's BBQ on Veterans Pkway (used to be Beallwood) close to Airport Thruway (IIRC puts chopped BBQ if you ask for it and pay for it of course) in your cup of stew. Good place there as well.
Lastly, something non-barbeque is Chilli-Thai. It is a little Thai food place and if you like your food a little spicy, this is some good stuff. I get a dish called Prik-Pao noodles and the noodle itself is similar to lo-mein but not so oily, but they put some veggies and stuff in there and spice it up with a little chilli paste. Columbus/Phenix City has some good BBQ, but we eat a lot of Chinese too and the Chinese places are good as is this Thai place.

Bryant

Damn, I shouldn't read these posts at this hour of the morning. Lunch time is a long way from now. I want some good BBQ!!!!!

Might have to recruit all the PP Single Dads (I think there are 3 of ya according to the latest count) and get some messy BBQ and mimic our kids!

[Note to Single Dads: I'm way behind in emails to people and I'm in the process of packing up for a vacation, so that's why no one's heard from me]

Layla's Dad said:
This is off the subject of BBQ, but on to Mexican food. Have you ever ate at Los Reyes? It's on the same exit as Kennesaw State, next to the Fairfield and Sidelines Grille. That is the best Mexican food I have ever encountered and I've ate plenty of it.
I've eaten at a Los Reyes just off Cobb Parkway and Roswell Rd...usually about once or twice a month. I don't know if it's associated with the one you know. It's not bad, but then again, I grew up in south Texas, so I expect a lot when I have Mexican food. :D

Bryant said:
Cool !!! Glad to see someone knows my little "neck of the woods." Didn't notice you were from Valley. That's just a skip and a hop away. I went there a couple of years ago when I was vehicle shoopping. Nice little town. I often go to the "long bridge" for the fireworks on the 4th but I was out of town this year.

To me Country's has some of the best southern food, like fried chicken and hamburger steak and stuff, but I find their barbeque to be fairly average. The best BBQ item at Country's is the "Patriot" sandwich to me. It's expensive but it is a large sandwich with both BBQ beef and pork on the sandwich.
The place you refer to on 80 (crawford road) is called Hickory House. Much like Country's I get the hamburger steak there as opposed to BBQ. There is not one standout place really but different places have different items that are good. On Hamilton Road (turn off of Manchester Expw left if you are heading toward the mall at the MCDonalds and you will see alittle mom and pop place a few blocks on the left called "Fat Freddie's." The last time I ate their, they had the best BBQ chicken in town. You get a half a bird and two sides with the platter I believe.
Also on 4th Avenue (Now called veterans Parkway) accross from the "projects" is a black establishment called Chesters. I wouldn't go at night being in a high crime area, but you can't beat the ribs there. They are outstanding.
13th Street Barbeque which is on 7th Avenue (right off of 13th street the same road that becomes hwy 80 but in the downtown area has a mean pork chop sandwhich and chipped sandwiches for $1 is a good place.
Mike and Ed's BBQ on Veterans Pkway (used to be Beallwood) close to Airport Thruway (IIRC puts chopped BBQ if you ask for it and pay for it of course) in your cup of stew. Good place there as well.
Lastly, something non-barbeque is Chilli-Thai. It is a little Thai food place and if you like your food a little spicy, this is some good stuff. I get a dish called Prik-Pao noodles and the noodle itself is similar to lo-mein but not so oily, but they put some veggies and stuff in there and spice it up with a little chilli paste. Columbus/Phenix City has some good BBQ, but we eat a lot of Chinese too and the Chinese places are good as is this Thai place.

Bryant

Thanx for the tips brother. I'll reference this post when we make our trips down your way. Mike and Ed's has a good reputation. I've heard of their place before. I used to work with a black preacher who talked about Chester's also. I figured Preacher Avery knew his ribs. I never thought about going against the grain at Country's and ordering fried chicken either. That's an idea. I agree with you about their BBQ. I am also a huge fan of hot and spicy stuff. Chilli-Thai sounds like my kind of place. Most of the time when we're down that way, we eat at places like Outback or something. Last Sunday, it was Longhorn on Macon Rd. I have ate at the Chinese place on Bradley Pk Drive, the place with the big roof. How many of these places serve alcohol?

We need to hookup at the gig and talk about this and more. I've had a lot of experiences down there. Can you remember when we use to get good shows in Columbus? Since they built that new place (the Civic Ctr.), I think KISS has been the only thing slightly respectable. Maiden actually played the old place. Remember?

Rakosh said:
I've eaten at a Los Reyes just off Cobb Parkway and Roswell Rd...usually about once or twice a month. I don't know if it's associated with the one you know. It's not bad, but then again, I grew up in south Texas, so I expect a lot when I have Mexican food. :D

Excellent. I know you know your stuff about Mexican food then. What's your favorite place in the metro area? I'll be sure to check it out when I'm in town again. I've got plans for several trips up there.

Layla's Dad said:
Thanx for the tips brother. I'll reference this post when we make our trips down your way. Mike and Ed's has a good reputation. I've heard of their place before. I used to work with a black preacher who talked about Chester's also. I figured Preacher Avery knew his ribs. I never thought about going against the grain at Country's and ordering fried chicken either. That's an idea. I agree with you about their BBQ. I am also a huge fan of hot and spicy stuff. Chilli-Thai sounds like my kind of place. Most of the time when we're down that way, we eat at places like Outback or something. Last Sunday, it was Longhorn on Macon Rd. I have ate at the Chinese place on Bradley Pk Drive, the place with the big roof. How many of these places serve alcohol?

We need to hookup at the gig and talk about this and more. I've had a lot of experiences down there. Can you remember when we use to get good shows in Columbus? Since they built that new place (the Civic Ctr.), I think KISS has been the only thing slightly respectable. Maiden actually played the old place. Remember?

Great !! I hope I turned you on to the right places. As far as alchohol, most of the smaller barbeque places do not serve alchohol. Countries does serve beer. Chilli-Thai serves beer and wine (and rice wine aka saki) and offers a Thai beer called Singha. It fits the food very well as it is a more full flavored beer than the Chinese beers like Tsing-tao and all of the watery Japanese beers.
I don't know if you like mixed drinks or beer, but B. Merrils (Manchester Expressway) has the largest beer selection in Columbus as well as the best Reuben sandwich and a mean squash casserole loaded with cheese.

As far as concerts in Columbus, I saw Ronnie Dio fight a mechanical dragon with a laser sword at the Columbus Municipal Auditorium while supporting "The Last in Line" tour. Dokken opened for them. I also saw Yngwie in his prime with Lita and Black and Blue and Ratt just about blew my eardrums out of my head there as well, plus many many more.

Of course we will hook up at PP. It will be great to meet up with someone practically local.

Bryant