Question of the day....who still buys physical cds??

Chris Lotesto

Uncle Fester
Aug 6, 2004
www.ionvein.com
Just curious as to who still actually buys physical cds and do you prefer
the idea of a full album of songs versus single song releases?

Is it the collector aspect of the cd that still draws you in...the sound
quality perhaps? Also, how about just getting digital singles at your
disposal more quickly.....what's your take, my friends?? :D

Best,
Chris

Personally, I still love to the collectible aspect of the "album," along with the sound quality
over compressed mp3s (luckily high quality is coming) but certainly appreciate the lack of
space digital consumes and also the cost/distro aspect as well. The industry is certainly
reinventing itself, and we're at a cross roads trying to accommodate the "old school way"
vs the "new school way."

It's an exciting yet difficult time indeed....

I have to say that I still enjoy buying CDs. I don't expand my music collection very much anymore, as I usually just get live DVDs anymore, but I like having CDs. I enjoy the artwork and the physical copy, as opposed to buying it off of iTunes and having to burn my own copy from there. I can rip it in FLAC if I want, and as long as I have the CD, it doesn't "go away".

I still buy CD's. In the past 2 months I think I have bought at least over 40. I never download legally or illegally. I am also kind of a completist so if it is a band I like I will hunt down all thier stuff. I miss the days of record / CD shopping at stores. I love the thrill of the hunt of going to the store and looking at everything. Sad that there will be generations that wont ever experience it. Everyone just orders everything online now.

I used to love in the 80's driving to the different stores. I used to go to Crow's Nest in Joliet and Naperville and Music Wharehouse in Downers Grove. Wax Trax downtown Chicago had some good stuff once in a while too.

In the past decade Metal Haven and Impulse.

I loved being able just to see what was out and discovered so many bands I would not have if I was just looking online for stuff.

I dont think a physical copy will ever go away for a very long time. Look at the rise of vinyl again. It was pretty much dead in the mid to late 90's and then suddenly made a comeback again. There will always be people who want something physical to hold in thier hands and be able to enjoy the artwork and booklet.

I have to say that I still enjoy buying CDs. I don't expand my music collection very much anymore, as I usually just get live DVDs anymore, but I like having CDs. I enjoy the artwork and the physical copy, as opposed to buying it off of iTunes and having to burn my own copy from there. I can rip it in FLAC if I want, and as long as I have the CD, it doesn't "go away".

Thanks for the input, Veg, I find myself buying more live DVDs as well and I agree that having the actual disc assures you "have it around" in case anything, like computer crashes, etc. happens. I'm sure CDs will linger in
small quantities for quite some time.

I still buy CD's. In the past 2 months I think I have bought at least over 40. I never download legally or illegally. I am also kind of a completist so if it is a band I like I will hunt down all thier stuff. I miss the days of record / CD shopping at stores. I love the thrill of the hunt of going to the store and looking at everything. Sad that there will be generations that wont ever experience it. Everyone just orders everything online now.
Thanks for the input, Bob, and pretty impressive that's you're still buying so many discs, that's awesome! It is indeed sad that the newer generations won't experience "the hunt" as we did but I suppose the online hunt for them is what the store experience was for us.....and we just don't "get it." haha

I used to love in the 80's driving to the different stores. I used to go to Crow's Nest in Joliet and Naperville and Music Wharehouse in Downers Grove. Wax Trax downtown Chicago had some good stuff once in a while too.

In the past decade Metal Haven and Impulse.

I loved being able just to see what was out and discovered so many bands I would not have if I was just looking online for stuff.

It was indeed cool, especially with a knowledgeable, passionate, salesman touting the newest stuff that "you gotta hear," ah well... I still have very
fond memories of jumping on my bike to hit Hegewisch records to browse the
"imports" section to see what LOOKED cool, the vinyl album covers just had
a way of drawing you into them and wanted to hear what was behind them.

I dont think a physical copy will ever go away for a very long time. Look at the rise of vinyl again. It was pretty much dead in the mid to late 90's and then suddenly made a comeback again. There will always be people who want something physical to hold in thier hands and be able to enjoy the artwork and booklet.

Yeah, I believe it will linger for quite some time, and that's a good thing indeed!

I've always been a fan of cd/album artwork, so I still buy physical cd's to get the "whole experience". Granted, most of the music I listen to on a regular basis are mp3s on my ipod, I definitely still enjoy looking through the booklets when I first get a new cd. Obviously, having the lyrics to read along with is another huge bonus. I really like when bands put the extra effort into the packaging and artwork that goes with the theme of the music. Its all part of the passion that goes into making the cd... bringing the music to a complete finished product. I hope that IV continues making actual cd's for us "old school" types :) I would think that metal fans are probably still more into this that most other genres... after all, who's more fanatical than us?

I hope that IV continues making actual cd's for us "old school" types :) I would think that metal fans are probably still more into this that most other genres... after all, who's more fanatical than us?

I hear you, Dan, and no worries, we still plan on doing CDs in limited quantity, not only for the fanatics/collectors but for us as well! :D