Question regarding scores/tabs

Autumn Falls said:
BTW I am a guitarist. It took you five hours? Holy shitzor. Uhmm... did you transcribe it as well as tab or just tab it? Also I can understand that as it takes forever in a guitar program or Finale/Sibelius.

Brandon
yeah also i was never very good at transciptions in school so they take me longer than an accomplished student of transcription.

i did it on power tab and did the notes as well as the actual tab because i hate tabs that don't have the notes above it to help you figure out the rhythm.

It's great to study improvised solos... analyze them and find out what certain players use over what changes and then incorporate what you like into your own playing.

My opinion at least..

Brandon

I think if you're at that level of study, you should be able to recognize what the person is playing by ear and wouldn't need much beyond the underlying chords. bah, but that's a whole different subject.

i guess that would be cool if i actually knew what "the changes" were that i played over. mostly improv for me meant "greg we need some guitar shred texture right here and it doesn't matter what you play."

me: shit alright!

OK wel what would everyone like to see regarding the solos? Greg if you take care of writing out the solos that'd just take a lot of work off me and would be really cool.

What level do you mean? The level to be able to analyze? I don't know about that man. Personally I have pretty shite ears but if you want me to analyze something and you throw a solo in front of me I could most likely take it apart. My Jazz Aural profressor John Murphy on the other hand could transcribe anything probably first lesson fairly accurately... most folk can't.

I don't know I'm probably misunderstanding you but uhh... yea.

::shrugs::

EDIT: In regard to the solos. Well tablature is always nice so I wouldn't complain... hah. I'm a pretty poor sightreader and instead of listening to music and writing here I should be practicing just that.

Brandon

i'll do what i can to help but remember this will be a major undertaking so if we do it we really need to discipline ourselves to get the work done.

i am only saying this because we are both major procrastinators.

i also think there is a seperation between the jazz and rock style of analyzing solos. i mean analyzing solos is so important to jazz musicians to understand things about the player. i don't know if most rock players take the same approach to learning solos by their favorite artists.

in jazz, solos are like the main attraction most of the time although to me i found the chordal structues and progressions way more interesting than the solos which tended to bore me alot.

surprising since i am such a fucking wanker.

its just a matter of perspective i guess. i like some jazz solos. but at least for guitarists i find the jazz solos to be bland alot of times even though technically and melodically they are doing really advanced shit.

i guess any medium where whammy bars and extreme bends are frowned upon is just too foreign of a concept to me. :)

yeah greg we could start with the Kayo Dot thing, I was thinking.

Actually as you can see in my first post, I wondered aloud what everyone preferred to see first. No one really seemed to have a preference so I guess CotE is what it'll be.