question to JAX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the hell is the problem? Are you guys actually criticizing little things about a band that most of us can never hope to be as good as? Please tell me it's that I just woke up and skimmed the thread, and you guys aren't disrespecting Romeo. Wow.

Jax, tell MJR that I realize he probably spent a long time making decisions regarding the arrangement and mix, and that I respect the choices he came up with. Some people just look for things to bitch about, jeez...

If you're talking about my idea about the 2 bass drum thing, that was just something I thought would be really cool.

If I was in a band as great as Symphony X then I would appreciate all the criticism very much. The better you get the harder it is to make things better and if you have lots of input then you will find that making decisions becomes a bit easier. Also, when you work on something (or even listen to something already made) for a long time you get used to the song and sometimes forget about certain things........for example I used not like Pharaoh cos it was a bit dry, but now that i'm used to it it sounds ok. The less involved you are, the more critical your feedback will be, so yeh in my point of view its a really good thing.

I actually really like the drum sound on The Odyssey more than any other album. Maybe the high hat and cymbals generally could be the tiniest bit louder, but apart from that I think production wise (apart from the keys, but then through most of the album the songs don't require it) it slaughters their earlier albums. It has a "heavy" sound which suits the songs imo.

OfSinsAndShred said:
What the hell is the problem? Are you guys actually criticizing little things about a band that most of us can never hope to be as good as? Please tell me it's that I just woke up and skimmed the thread, and you guys aren't disrespecting Romeo. Wow.

Jax, tell MJR that I realize he probably spent a long time making decisions regarding the arrangement and mix, and that I respect the choices he came up with. Some people just look for things to bitch about, jeez...

Heh, I only threw out criticism because everyone else was doing it. I honestly don't think for one second that the band is going to pay attention to what some fucktard on a message board says concerning production. :lol:

Eternal Dragon said:
If I was in a band as great as Symphony X then I would appreciate all the criticism very much. The better you get the harder it is to make things better and if you have lots of input then you will find that making decisions becomes a bit easier. Also, when you work on something (or even listen to something already made) for a long time you get used to the song and sometimes forget about certain things........for example I used not like Pharaoh cos it was a bit dry, but now that i'm used to it it sounds ok. The less involved you are, the more critical your feedback will be, so yeh in my point of view its a really good thing.

Well, as a musician, I would never let anything people say dictate how I write, play, or produce my music.

Musicians have the shitty predicament of being "damned if you do, damned if you don't." The only person you need to listen to is yourself.

So Jax, tell MJR and the guys to keep up what they're doing. IMO they haven't done wrong yet :).

edit: oh ya, and I'm just curious...I really loved the lick Romeo showed in his Guitar World "betcha can't play this" spot and was wondering if he has any more instructional stuff like that in the works (either in a magazine or otherwise).

ptah knemu said:
I think it's just that we really like V.

This is the one thing that I do not understand about so many SymX fans. Comparing every album to V and deeming it not perfect is very...progsnobbish. Get over yourselves. The Odyssey owns all and that's that. ;)

I truly don't think the SymX guys give a shit about the nitpicking of fans. They do what they feel is good and write the music they feel passionate about. So yeah, just tell MJR that we love him :)

The Metal Chick said:
Get over yourselves. The Odyssey owns all and that's that. ;)

What if i don't agree? Am i progsnobbish in all circumstances? ; Or is there another possibility? ;)

The Metal Chick said:
This is the one thing that I do not understand about so many SymX fans. Comparing every album to V and deeming it not perfect is very...progsnobbish. Get over yourselves. The Odyssey owns all and that's that. ;)

I truly don't think the SymX guys give a shit about the nitpicking of fans. They do what they feel is good and write the music they feel passionate about. So yeah, just tell MJR that we love him :)

amen. on all accounts :)

Xymphony said:
What if i don't agree? Am i progsnobbish in all circumstances? ; Or is there another possibility? ;)

I surely pray that thy speak this in jest, Master Xymphony.

The Metal Chick said:

Actually, I compare all albums to DWoT and DG. I like to call it Images and Words Syndrome. :p

There's no point comparing albums like that, if the band wants to progress their songwriting or production to a different direction, that's their thing. Even if I also think that The Odyssey has a bit bad snare sound, it definately wouldn't spoil the new album for me if the snare sound would be the same.

TheMountainKing said:
I think production wise (apart from the keys, but then through most of the album the songs don't require it) it slaughters their earlier albums. It has a "heavy" sound which suits the songs imo.
I completely agree...the production on The Odyssey was fantastic...extremely powerful, and I love how the guitar was in your face \m/

I didn't said that the drums where wrong or anything like that, they were amazing, but unfortunately you don't here them, so I asked if he could record it a bit louder,he doesn't have to do but I think every musician takes advises from their fans and thinks about that.

Thraxz said:
I surely pray that thy speak this in jest, Master Xymphony.

I find not so many things to compare, among S.X. albums. Although V is my favourite, this does not mean The Odyssey or DWOT are worse albums. They all have a different value.

BTW, no one does not complain about the songwriting, or performing things in S.X. albums here, right? Then i see nothing wrog in discussing little points, which can not go beyond being our humble opinions...

Well said, Metal Chick. No band can be perfect (although Symphony X comes damn close), so leave them alone and just appreciate everything great that they've given us.

RequiemX said:
Actually, I compare all albums to DWoT and DG. I like to call it Images and Words Syndrome. :p

The same applies. Even though Images and Words is the ultimate prog album, that doesn't mean everything else is inferior.

Xymphony said:
What if i don't agree? Am i progsnobbish in all circumstances? Or is there another possibility?

My last line about The Odyssey owning all was not meant to be taken seriously (though that is how I feel) hence the ;) at the end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.