Questions for Matt

anexanhume

Jan 16, 2004
Matt, I have a couple of questions for you.

The first is, do you ever feel the desire to make secular music to reach a wider audience? If so, what keeps you from doing it?

Also, being that almost no one associates metal with Christianity, how do you feel in a largely secular scene? I don't mean how do you think your music is a ministry to those in need, but how do you deal with the secular, sometimes anti-Christian atmosphere that metal and its fans/musicians can sometimes have?

Thanks,
Chris

As another musician - in metal - in a secular genre - we really have been treated very well both locally, and where we've been nationally & internationally. We've had songs played on local radio stations (and we have very Christian lyrics - very upfront) and on web stations throughout the US & Europe. Many secular stations....and not gotten any flak.

I'm sure Matt has a much broader perspective - but for StrangeLand - it's been very cool.

I think - and I may be wrong on this - but the US is one of one of, if not the only music industry that differentiates so much between Christian Metal, and Metal.

Looking for some insight into the mind of Matt? I just posted a list of Theocracy interviews links on this thread http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/theocracy/323638-theocracy-making.html

You might find this one in particular interesting -
http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/showinterview.php?id=824&lang=en

This quote was just awesome -

Matt Smith said:
"As for "Christian music," well, I think music is music, but "out of the heart flow the issues of life." People will write what's important to them, and that's how it should be. We are a Christian band, and proud of it. I don't understand a lot of these bands who are like, "Don't call us a Christian band! That's so limiting! We appeal to a broad audience and don't want to alienate people. We're just spiritual." If I ever say something like that, please shoot me on the spot. I do not care who Theocracy alienates. This is not about money for me AT ALL. Trust me, if you could look at my bank account you'd know that's the truth. I mean, of course it would be nice to be able to make a living doing this one day, and of course I'd like for as many people as possible to "get it." But I'll never water anything down for anyone. If people don't get it or don't like it, well, there's plenty out there for them to listen to; that's the beauty of music. I think music is like food in a lot of ways; there are so many different styles out there that there's something for everyone, for sure.
Then there's the "Christian music industry," which I have a few negative feelings about. By all accounts, the Christian industry is just as dirty and cutthroat and ruthless as the secular industry, if not more so. That's really sad. It just seems to me like some kind of exclusive little club, and that doesn't interest me. Obviously I'm speaking in very broad and stereotypical terms here, but I've heard the same thing from a lot of people.

I'm not interested in having to fit in some neat little box and meet certain criteria to appeal to a certain demographic and make money. I'd rather just be who I am and say whatever I feel like writing about through my music, and let the chips fall as they may. A lot of people who like the Theocracy album aren't Christians, but they loved the music and thought it was well-done so they're fans. And I appreciate every single person who has supported the album. All I can do is my best. If I succeed in saying what I set out to say, and if it glorifies God in the way it's done, then that's all I can do. It's not important to me which "market" I have success in. I want people in general to enjoy my music, not just Christians."

Hey my best friend is an Atheist and he loves him some Theocracy. Not just because Im the bassist either, he genuinely loves everything. He just chooses not to listen to the message behind it.

I'm not Christian. But I love Theocracy. Lyrically I never feel like I'm being preached to (maybe I haven't listened close enough?), but rather that I'm being told a story or getting to know Matt(/the band) better and whats important to them.

I'm with Wes...generally people are cool about it. We do catch some flak though, insulting comments and the like, once or twice in person but usually online. But overall, people treat us decently.

As for the secular thing, it's not really a temptation for me. Theocracy is a Christian band and always will be. If I ever want to do some sort of side project that's not a Christian music project per se, I don't see any problem with it because it wouldn't affect Theocracy at all. I don't have any plans for anything like that at the moment (I don't even have enough time for Theocracy, much less another project), but I'm just saying.

Another thing to consider is that, especially these days, almost no Metal band is making any kind of money to live off of (with a rare couple of exceptions). Mac just quit Threshold because he wasn't making enough money to get by without his girlfriend working multiple jobs, etc. So it's not like there's a big temptation of the potential for a lot of $$ in the secular market; Metal bands are all kind of in the same boat these days. Rest assured, in almost all cases the love of the music is keeping these guys in it, because no one is taking home much money at the end of the day.

Just a side comment here,

I was watching VH1's top 40 metal songs of all time. The wierd thing about the "best" metal songs of all time, is that most of the songs are just for the most part praise songs (like ones sang in church) but with electric guitars and instead of praising God/Christ etc,. they are praising metal. (my point here is that metal and christianity can fit together pretty nice)

Think about it, how many metal/rock anthems are out there? Metal songs, that their only purpose it to sing about 'rocking out" and "rocking all night long".

kinda like singing "I want to priase you" type songs.

Just a thought...

Hey Matt,

Is there any way that we can be praying for you right now? I know the album is almost done, and many people are waiting to get their copy. Please let us know!