Questions Regarding Iced Earth, Immolation, Opeth, In Flames, And Shadows Fall...

ZANEX

Alone Within My Lunacy
Sep 4, 2001
PARIS/WINCHESTER,KENTUCKY U.S.A.
Visit site
I know I asked this some time ago, but I'm looking for something different to buy. Is Iced Earth another Madien/Priest clone like Hammerfall or is there more to them? I've heard Melancholy, their Priest cover "The Ripper", and some stuff off Horror Show and thought they were a decent band. What is the best Iced Earth? I think someone said Something Wicked... or Days of Purgatory. Next, what is the best Opeth? I believe Still Life and Blackwater Park were mentioned. I heard the My Hearse... album and thought the band was talented, but couldn't "get into it". Finally, what about In Flames and Shadow's Fall? I have sampler C.D.s from BRAVE WORDS AND BLOODY KNUCKLES and both bands seem very technical and impressive. Could someone suggest what In Flames and Shadow's Fall are like and what are some of their best albums. Thanks and pardon my ignorance, I'm American and want to be European because I've read about all the festivals and great METAL SCENE "across the pond". Cheers,

If you want Iced Earth, buy Alive in Athens, Iced Earth plays all of their best songs live, and they are a much better live band than studio band, plus one misses all the shitty filler songs I personally think fill up half of their albums.
If you want the best In Flames, buy Jester Race and Whoracle, very good and complex, they both are true death metal album, yet if you want more melodic singing, and less aggressive and complex songs, I would pick up either COlony or Clayman.
Both bands are pretty damn good, especially in Flames, i saw Iced Earth in Nov opening for Megadeth, and they put on one hell of a show.

i say for Iced Earth, pick up Something Wicked This Way Comes or Horror Show. Both excellent albums. even Night of the Stormrider would be a good first CD

as for In Flames, I suggest Jester Race or Whoracle no questions asked.

Opeth, i've heard Still Life is the best, but I have Blackwater Park and i LOVE IT!

i don't know dick about shadow's fall and immolation though.....

Go with alive in athens, the 3 disc is def. the shit, but i understand you not wanting that to be your first IE venture, go for the 2 disc though, it has all their best songs, in some of their best versions. However, if you don't wanna go for that, pick up either Something Wicked This Way Comes, or Horror Show, definitely.

Shadows fall kicks serious ass too. Better than Iced Earth =P. IE sucks. In Flames owns you.

J

well I really like Iced Earth - especially The Dark Sage is some nice stuff! Last time I saw them live they performed a nearly 3 hours show and did it the coool way ... yeah!! powerfull melodic metal but imo its not that original as maiden was! (if they still are I can say after their next album)

In Flames - Death metal? well Their last 3 albums (Whoracle, colony and Clayman) don´t sound like death metal to me ... more like ... welll ... not really melodic but way more powerfull than most others hehe

Ever got into Jag Panzer? nice melodic stuff sometimes with chorus and always great job! some would say, they´re nothing really special ... well, I like them

Zane... If you're after some new stuff, check out:

In flames - The Jester Race, Whoracle*
Soilwork - Chainheart Machine, SteelBath Suicide*

Swedish Melodic-Death Metal. You know, heavier Iron Maiden riffs sped up a bit, with growls and screams. Really melodic and harmonized guitarwork. Great drumming too... pretty simple stuff, but great for headbanging, driving, or for breaking shit. In Flames earlier stuff has folk influences, with lots of acoustic guitar spattered everywhere, and Soilwork's earlier stuff is more Death Metal, but not "Grrrrrrrrrr" kindof stuff, really groove and melody oriented.. with great solos. Two great bands

Opeth - My Arms Your Hearse, Still Life*

Mixing 70s progressive rock with death metal, adding alot of folky acoustic guitar passages into the mix, Opeth grow on you the more you listen to them. Reeeeeeaaaaaly long songs, with lots of depth to the music and the lyrics, so not really something you would chuck on when you are driving or whatever... this stuff requires full attention to catch their brilliance.

Iced Earth - The Dark Saga, Burnt Offerings, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Days of Purgatory*

Classed by some as an Iron Maiden copy... but not really so. They are kindof like a cross between 80's thrash and power metal... you know, good but simple guitars, nice groove... but with power vocals. very nice stuff. Check out especially "Violate", "Depths of hell", "Burning Times", "Colors", "Prophecy", "The Coming Curse"******, "Dracula".

What about Sentenced? They are worth checking out.

Sentenced - Frozen, Down, Crimson

They used to be a death metal band... pretty good... and then they got a proper singer, and started doing a melodic metal kindof thing. Reeeeeaaaaaly love this band. Check out "Noose", "Fragile", "Dead Moon Rising".

DREADNAUGHT... a band you must check out. Especially their older stuff. Awesome australian band. They used to do a kindof strange Death/Grind/Folk thing, like Opeth a times, other times like nothing i have ever heard.

Download "Flowers", it is a beautiful song... and the heavy part is mind blowingly cool. Off their latest album, check out "Undone" and "Dead In The Dirt", really cool too... different... but cool

Dreadnaught - All... even their new stuff.

buy Something wicked; it has a wide spectrum of epic, thrashy, singalong songs, if you want it heavy buy Burnt offerings

Still life is my favorite Opeth release!

My favorite In Flames is Clayman

I have seen all these bands live ahhhh....

the last two at Wacken

In fact I was a roadie for IE in Copenhagen!

Originally posted by speed
If you want Iced Earth, buy Alive in Athens, Iced Earth plays all of their best songs live, and they are a much better live band than studio band
meheheh that's funny if you consider that much of alive in athens was rerecorded in the studio:rolleyes:
it's a good best-of album though,i wouldn't call it live cause you'll hardly hear any crowd...their best album is Burnt Offerings.If you think of going for something wicked,at least but dark saga...wicked is a copy of dark saga,and a bad one if you ask me.dark saga is great,still not burnt offerings but great.sth wicked and horror show are their worst ones.
If you get Sentenced,get Amok.Or at least Down.Their newer stuff sucks,though many seem to like them.
If you wanna get into swedish death metal,you MUST get At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul.I don't like In Flames.
How about some Conception?Great european power-prog band.Download Roll The Fire and get blown away.

Thanks for the suggestions. Trapped, I like Sentenced and have Crimson(I really like Killing Me Killing You) and a few videos of theirs on a Century Media Video compilation, I believe "Noose" is on their. Good Band. Also, I've heard some Soilwork and At The Gates is Brutal. Aren't some of the guys from At The Gates in The Haunted. I saw The Haunted open for Testament and it was kick ass.

For Iced Earth i suggest getting "Something wicked this way comes" then "Horror Show".

Seeming im an Avid Opeth fan, like most fans it is hard to decide what album is best, they all have their strong points (and sometimes weak points)

But if you want, Older more melodic, instrumental stuff go for the albums "Orchid" and "Morningrise"

If you want the most agressive (but i believe the most complex stuff) i suggest "My arms, your hearse", still life and Black Water Park , are NOT so based on the Melodic guitar riffs and instrumentals but on the singing. If you like Mikaels growls this is good.

Both of these albums again are good, still life being more progressive than BWP.
Black wter park, is closer to your basic metal ( but yet still so faaar from it)

fuck,so many ppl suggest sth wicked and horror show it makes me lose my faith on this board.plz tell me that you haven't listened to burnt offerings and you only suggest these two because of ignorance.

Well, I've been an Iced Earth fan from day one, and I'm a mod over at Frozen Messages, one of the bigger IE forums. Which album to buy really depends on what you like.

If you liked the ballad like stuff, pick up a copy of "Something Wicked this Way Comes." It's a GREAT album, possibly my favorite IE with the amazing SW Trilogy at the end, but the songs go heavy-ballad-heavy-ballad, etc.

If you want the heavier stuff to check out, I would highly recommend getting "Days of Purgatory." It's basically the older material with Matt Barlow on vocals instead.

In my opinion, "Burnt Offerings" is the album I like the LEAST. Just my opnion though...:)

jackbeard@hotmail.com