Nevermore Vs..........iced Earth

Barlow killed it on the last Pyramaze record. Worth checking out.

I could never get into that album. It's hard for me to listen to it without hearing Matt giving his all, while the music itself sounds too much like a super generic, watered down version of Iced Earth (which can be super generic too) with almost no bite in the distortion at all, but instead keyboard wankery for "oooh, atmosphere"! I also feel he's just not a fit for the band compared to someone like Lance King.

if you take off the nostalgia goggles for a sec

Damn, these goggles are so sweet! Been listening to something wicked this morning in the car, and I felt like I was a teen again. Now I wanna play roleplaying games, feel socially awkward again and have that stupid smile on my face each time I see a girl!

:kickass:

I will probably not last any longer though...

Oh, totally forgot about Days of Purgatory, but I'm not sure if it counts, since it's basically just rerecorded material with Barlow's vocals and a few minor changes to the guitars. Still, that album has a whole lot of worthwhile material. Probably the best thing to listen to after Burnt Offerings by itself.
i would probably say Alive in Athens over Days of Purgatory, it has most of the important old songs, and it's live so Barlow (who is in fact a giant walking talking ball of cheese disguised as a human) doesnt have as much opportunity to ruin half the tracks with his beyond cringe-worthy double vocals and 'emotional' delivery.

i would probably say Alive in Athens over Days of Purgatory, it has most of the important old songs, and it's live so Barlow (who is in fact a giant walking talking ball of cheese disguised as a human) doesnt have as much opportunity to ruin half the tracks with his beyond cringe-worthy double vocals and 'emotional' delivery.

Make the sadness go away...:cry:

John, and everyone really, while IE's heyday has definitely passed, they did put out some pretty awesome tracks in the post-Something Wicked era. Horror Show, despite its cheesy thematic and riff recycling (same riff on three tracks, seriously?!), had Dracula, Wolf, The Phantom Opera Ghost. Granted, these tracks were awesome mostly because of Barlow's voice, but still.

Despite Tim Owens' solid vocal work, The Glorious Burden was a fucking coaster. The songwriting is just terrible on that album, plus all the AMERIKUH!-shit grates, especially for non-Americans. Every album has the right to a shit track, but this one is simply shitters and fillers.

Framing Armageddon, though, is a seriously underrated album. Fans were whining and crying because "It's not Barlow!", but Tim Owens sung the shingles off the roof in that one. Plus, it was a concept album that told an actual story, not the loosely-connected, half-hearted semi-concept stuff that diminished other albums. Tracks like The Domino Decree, with that epic chorus, and Ten Thousand Strong which is more catchy and head-on show that Tim Owens was every bit the vocalist Iced Earth required. Though a slight malus point for the "WAAAHHH" in the beginning. Vocalists, don't do it. Don't give in to the WAAAHHH.

Out goes Tim Owens (which in hindsight was a terrible mistake) and in comes Barlow again, to record the second Something Wicked album, The Crucible of Man. Honestly, the album was a bit of a snoozer. The carefully crafted and paced story from Framing Armageddon just deflates like a soggy cake due to the stagnant, repetitive and recycled lyrics (every track is "man is corrupt"), and musically, it's just... completely forgettable. Sure, Barlow puts down a decent performance, but you can already tell his heart wasn't in it, and the whole album is just... meh.

Out goes Barlow again, and now it's Stu Block who gets to play musical chairs behind the mic. Dystopia was decent. Had some alright tracks, but it didn't knock me off my feet or anything. Boiling Point is a good track (chorus at least, the verses are forgettable, which is typical for Iced Earth). You can tell the band is trying to adapt to Block's different vocals. He's a very good singer, but not the same type Barlow or Owens were.

On Plagues of Babylon, you can tell the band (i.e. Jon) has written music around Block's vocals, and it sounds much more confident. I wasn't impressed at first, but the more I listened to it, the more I'm liking it. Some tracks have really amazing choruses, even though the verses are, as always, the weak points. Cthulhu and The End have really evocative choruses, even if they're a bit sing-along. And then there's the absolutely awesome cover of Highwayman. Jon should generally stay away from the mic, but his crappy singing style actually fits on this one. The fact that Russell Allen, Stu Block and Michael Poulsen put down awesome performances just makes it so much better.

*ahem*

Anyway. That took longer than I'd planned. Just, you know, wanted to put it out there that while people currently feel part of the "cool kids club" by shitting on IE, their recent work really isn't all that bad. I know, you shouldn't expect them to invent new things, or to blow you away with a radical new approach to metal, but what they do, they do decently.

It's kinda funny that so many people praise Something Wicked as THE BEST Iced Earth album. Sure, it has some of the best tracks the band has ever put out, but if you take off the nostalgia goggles for a sec, you'll notice the "great track - filler - great track - filler - great track - filler" structure makes the album much less good than it could have been. And the lyrics, apart from the SW trilogy, were absolute shite. Rhyming "madness" with "sadness"? On two different tracks? Rhyming "cry for" with "die for"? Verses like "make the sadness go away / come back another day"? That's fucking elementary school crap. Schaffer's lyrics have at least matured beyond that shit stage (excluding When the Eagle Cries, of course, and its "how could they / why would they").

GARBAGE....every word you typed....... hhhuuhhgggghhhghgguuuh.:(

I was going to put something worse but really you arent worth it. Iced earth is a great band and you are wrong about 3 or 4 riffs. Learn guitar and try to play any iced earth song. Then come back. I am a guitarist who happens to love both bands. You need to see both bands live and tell me who is better. Iced Earth rocks live and to be honest Warrel sounds well to compare him live I would say Axel Rose. He is a better singer in the studio. Maybe I just saw him on a bad day?? Iced earth dont have them. Matt is great all the time. I grant you Jeff is a genious on guitar. He is up there with Alex Scolnick (my idol). The rest of the band is lets say equal in talent. i have to say one more thing too. To sit there and put down a metal group who has stayed true to metal unlike Metallica and others like them, STAND ALONE AND BE ACCOUNTED METALHEADS. Yes we are out there and we must rise again. Stop this bull about people sucking. You cant play Iron Maiden and all the other covers they put out without being able to play. Both bands rock and metal rules. Get back on the metal wagon or go back to the kids on the block you fairy.
Nevar 4get

17 YEARS.

Incorruptible is pretty good. The best of the Stu Era. Also, Stu sounds like ass live, but I blame Jon for that. Also also, I haven't listened to Nevermore in a lifetime. They just never fully clicked with me.