Quick amp shootout! (Ola's di's)

PhilTheBeard

"The Beard"
Jun 23, 2009
Cape Coral, Florida
www.facebook.com
Hey everyone me and charlie got bored and decided to reamp ola's di's thru all of our amps including the mark v i borrowed from work. All the reamp's were done with a mesa oversized 4x12 with a single 57. Each amp had the same mic placement and we spent like 10 seconds dialing in each amp.

6505+ with od820
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/786150/Sonic%20Assault%20Studios/OLA%20REAMPS/Ola%20-%206505%2B.mp3

Engl Fireball with ts808
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/786150/Sonic%20Assault%20Studios/OLA%20REAMPS/Ola%20-%20ENGL.mp3

Mesa Boogie Mark V with od820
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/786150/Sonic%20Assault%20Studios/OLA%20REAMPS/Ola%20-%20MkV.mp3

Mesa Boogie Tremoverb with od820
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/786150/Sonic%20Assault%20Studios/OLA%20REAMPS/Ola%20-%20Trem-O-Verb.mp3

Peavey XXX with no boost
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/786150/Sonic%20Assault%20Studios/OLA%20REAMPS/Ola%20-%20XXX.mp3

Badass dude! (though about time :D) Trem-o-verb and Fireball both win for me, though there's a fair amount of graininess on the ToV track that I'm not crazy about (what were your settings?), though it's not as bad as the cool but a bit too prominent IMO sizzle/fizz in the FB track. As per the norm for me, the 6505+ is just kinda boring, fits well but barely any aggressive low-mid bark and a fair bit nasal (though Ryan's clips are so often the exception, maybe cuz he has a 5150 MkI, as well as the fact that he's Ryan :D), and also as I expected, the Mark V sounds kinda muffled and furry IMO, but not bad (it's a kinda weird muffled quality though, like it's missing some of the bite frequencies yet I still hear some fizz - similar to my old 2 ch. in Vintage mode, "peaky" would be how I would describe it). The XXX just sounded really dirty and gritty to me, why didn't you use a pedal?

i tried the xxx with a boost and i liked it more without a boost on it. and i don't remember the trem-o-verb settings i have tweaked them since we did this so idk what they were haha. every amp we just turned knobs quickly and reamp'd. but glad you like them marcus, i know it has been to long for me to put up clips haha.

For me it was Mark V, Fireball, Triple xxx, Tremoverb, 6505 in the order of what I liked best. Obviously all these amps are capable of all different kinds of tones. I love how the Mark series amps have that really middy almost honky at times tone going on.

I gotta be honest - Ola is one hell of a player and I'm not going to try to say otherwise, but these DI's have the most squishy pick attack for some reason, and every clip ends up sounding overly washy with no 'chug' to the palm mutes, which depresses me and makes it impossible to judge tones.

I gotta be honest - Ola is one hell of a player and I'm not going to try to say otherwise, but these DI's have the most squishy pick attack for some reason, and every clip ends up sounding overly washy with no 'chug' to the palm mutes, which depresses me and makes it impossible to judge tones.

Honestly, listening to the DI's themselves, they seem very dull (not much brightness) and a bit flat (and slightly dirty too, but not quite audible clipping) - what's your DI chain Ola? And what pickup?

Yah, I'd roll with the latter. If we didn't rant about this enough, then Sly certainly proved it - you need a stellar DI and mic preamp. Converter less so, but it certainly helps. Vintech into Mytek sounded like plugging a guy right into my amp, almost like the entire reamp process was rendered transparent.

Would have definitely preferred with the XXX with some TS action to smooth off the high end a little but it's otherwise not too shabby sounding.
Wasn't a huge fan of the Mark IV tone, but the rest were pretty good.

Yah, I'd roll with the latter. If we didn't rant about this enough, then Sly certainly proved it - you need a stellar DI and mic preamp. Converter less so, but it certainly helps. Vintech into Mytek sounded like plugging a guy right into my amp, almost like the entire reamp process was rendered transparent.

On that note, I need to do reamp/direct to amp shootouts.

Which Vintech was he using? I plan on buying a Presonus ADL600 in the near future.

No idea, you'd have to ask him.

Just realized I never commented on the thread. IMO none of the tones are all that great - or indicative of the crazy awesome amps used for them. They're very noisy, flat and fizzy as a general rule, sounding more like a Stiletto cab was used than an Oversize. I'd try again, but attempt to show each amp in a better light if possible.

Sorry to make you depressed :lol:

Honestly, listening to the DI's themselves, they seem very dull (not much brightness) and a bit flat (and slightly dirty too, but not quite audible clipping) - what's your DI chain Ola? And what pickup?

The DI chain is like: Ibanez MTM2 with stock V8 pickup(which isn't the best sounding pickup but I managed to work the hell out of it)---> instrument input on Apogee One.

No idea, you'd have to ask him.

Just realized I never commented on the thread. IMO none of the tones are all that great - or indicative of the crazy awesome amps used for them. They're very noisy, flat and fizzy as a general rule, sounding more like a Stiletto cab was used than an Oversize. I'd try again, but attempt to show each amp in a better light if possible.

I have to agree. They sound very noisy, almost as if it's overfeeding the signal to the amp. But I really like the fact that you did this shootout. Just to hear your DI through a Mark V makes me jizz in my pants. :zombie:

I really think the Mark V tone was pretty bad. I own a Mark IV and I have to say the tones ive gotten have been a fair bit better to me anyways. I wonder if its just the voicing of the 5???

What was the mic placement by the way??

Single 57 where cone meets dustcap. Literally, this was an impulse thing. I just threw the mic up with no real regard, and we quickly switched between the amps, tweaking them in about 10 seconds to sound good in the room (which never really. IMO, translates well to what the mic is picking up).

Honestly, the MKV sounding the BEST in the room, followed by the Fireball. The MKV has this fucking TIGHT low end chest thump thing going on that I can't describe.

My favorite out of all these amps is the Tremoverb, and we're working on a production right this moment that will feature it exclusively, most likely dual mic'ed with either 2x57 or 57 and 421.

Cheers dudes! I kind of wish we'd have spent more time with this, but it's not my style... I get bored easily. LOL.

These tones are in no way indicative of what we're actually capable of, as you all may know =D

Oh, and exact chain was:
X-Amp > Boost > Amp > Mesa OS (Straight, not really broken in yet) > Single 57 > CL 7602 w/Carnhill Tranny's and EQ disengaged > 002R > Nuendo

Cheers! My fave. is the Tremoverb followed by the MK5 or XXX, surprisingly. The MK5 has this STRANGE mid-honk that seriously, I could not dial out. It also sounds quite dark to me, even though I recall the treble being cranked as well as on the graphic EQ. Thing sounds killer in the room, so more tweaking is in order...