Quick Licks: Alexi Laiho DVD from Andy James

Aleksi

Oct 14, 2009
Just came across this:
Andy James has apparently done an analysis of the kind of musical ideas and phrases that Laiho uses and is teaching them. Interesting that it's come out just before Rockhouse have released what sounds like a similar DVD.
No idea how good it'll actually be, personally I'm looking for a download so I can check it out then buy it if it's actually any good.

Edit: Here's a link to a bit more info, you can also purchase it from here: http://www.licklibrary.com/store/andy-james/26475/quick-licks-alexi-laiho-dvd

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks really interesting. Andy James is a phenomenal player and musician, so I would definitely take credence in whatever he had to say and teach in general, and not just specific to Laiho.

why would you want to watch a dvd about a dude playing stuff from another dude instead of just watching the original dude and throwing it into your own style? that just doesn't make sense to me unless you were writing like a research paper on Alexi. I know CoB licks have really developed my style and are probably my biggest influence in soloing and it's really added to my sound but doing something like this seems like you'd almost end up like a carbon copy. Why actively try to be in someone elses style? when it comes across naturally and you throw your own spin on it it just ends up being way better imo, kinda like the way metal has evolved and people just subconsciously got ideas and moved forward and progressed.

Andy's playing is incredible, but that jam he did over the BT didn't sound anything like Laiho's playing, to be fair. I would hope the actual teaching parts showed some actual licks that were similar...

Andy's playing is incredible, but that jam he did over the BT didn't sound anything like Laiho's playing, to be fair. I would hope the actual teaching parts showed some actual licks that were similar...
Hmm, I have to disagree, there were parts that didn't sound "Laiho-esque" but some parts definitely did. The intro and outro didn't sound like Laiho, but most of the middle part did to my ear.

The intro didn't really sound to Alexi like but everything in the middle did like the pedal point licks, dimished runs, sequences,
descending scales, tremelo picking etc are all traits of alexi playing, that guy is an incredible player, he plays some guitarists
solos better than they can but to learn to shred like alexi you just have to learn a load of has songs and break them down yourself imo

good old torrents.ru. they have a lot of nice guitar lesson videos.
Ah found it, shame you have to register. It's annoying that their 2 hour registration window is from 5am-7am my time :(
Do you know if there's any requirements for registration? For instance, will I need to set up an email account with a Russian domain or something?

Ah found it, shame you have to register. It's annoying that their 2 hour registration window is from 5am-7am my time :(
Do you know if there's any requirements for registration? For instance, will I need to set up an email account with a Russian domain or something?

well yeah,i registred a mailbox @ mail.ru,cuz they didn't send me the fucking invite to my inbox.lv mailbox :erk: otherwise it's worth it.

Just watched it and I'm extremely glad I didn't pay for that... It was just him showing you how to play the solo in the above video, absolutely no other content. If I'd paid for it I'd be feeling totally fucked over.