Quick question for band members

Arnock

May 12, 2009
Theocracy is my favorite band, and has been for quite some time, but I can't help but notice hearing your rather unique sound, and then wonder what your musical influences are.

Essentially, what are some of your favorite bands that you like to listen to. (when you're not working hard on the next album, which I'm sure you are, hint hint)

interesting question, i wanna know too, because, some songs in MoS have a clear death metal influence, besides the prog/power metal style of the band :headbang:

The reason i was saying this is because you guys haven't really heard my material with Theocracy just yet but, I'll give you a brief anyways.
Being a teacher allows me to experiment with a LOT of music styles which in this case pulled me towards certain genres I would not expect to like
at first. I will only name my MOST influential artists.

Metallica, (obvious :p who isn't)
Joe Satriani,
Arch Enemy,
Pagan's Mind,
Rob Rock,
Filter,
Lamb Of God,
Between The Buried And Me,
The Faceless,
Daniele Gottardo,
Yngwie Malmsteen
Nevermore,
Edguy.

The reason i was saying this is because you guys haven't really heard my material with Theocracy just yet but, I'll give you a brief anyways.
Being a teacher allows me to experiment with a LOT of music styles which in this case pulled me towards certain genres I would not expect to like
at first. I will only name my MOST influential artists.

Metallica, (obvious :p who isn't)
Joe Satriani,
Arch Enemy,
Pagan's Mind,
Rob Rock,
Filter,
Lamb Of God,
Between The Buried And Me,
The Faceless,
Daniele Gottardo,
Yngwie Malmsteen
Nevermore,
Edguy.

Joe Satriani, a genious
Archenemy's Michael Amott, the death metal's Shenker
Yngwie Malmsteen, incredible
Lamb of god, i love the "bad attitude" in this guys riffs
Nevermore's Jeff Loomis, in my opinion the best guitar player in metal today

For me its a little bit different then Val:

Probably the biggest influences for me are:
1) X Japan - I never really appreciated piano being mixed with rock/metal until I heard of X Japan. After I heard of them, it completely drove my passion to learn piano/keyboard
2) Nightwish - Not a big surprise considering how big Tuomas is into Film Scores (See below)
3) Stratovarius - The band that really taught me to play guitar
4) Savatage - The band that made me like metal as a genre (Streets & Dead Winter Dead were the albums specifically - my Dad happened to give me the CD's to listen to because he enjoyed them, and I fell in love with them. It led me to find #5)
5) Avantasia/Edguy - Tobias was the songwriter who really made me appreciate power metal and just love that sound. I was looking for more bands like Savatage and saw a metal site that said Avantasia Pt I was the metal album of the year. I happened to go into a store here in the US and saw a copy and picked it up. Definitely not a Savatage clone, but I was hooked
6) Film scores - I am huge buff for film scores...to me melody is always the most important part of a song. The reason I love film scores so much is because of how they can take just music and can express any type of emotion. There's no cultural or lyrical constraint that targets/excludes an audience. The music itself speaks to the listener. I think in my own writing you can really hear this influence in it.

I think that's partly why I like metal so much. To me (at least) it allows for the greatest range of expressions in music. From ballads, to epics, to an angry song, to just a piano with a person singing. Anything is allowed and possible.

So I would say all of those bands are the biggest influence on me.

Obviously I would consider myself more as the next generation of those that are coming/came into metal. :) I don't have the influences like most metal people have (Metallica, Megadeth, Malmstreen, Queensryche, Iron Maiden, etc).

6) Film scores - I am huge buff for film scores...to me melody is always the most important part of a song. The reason I love film scores so much is because of how they can take just music and can express any type of emotion. There's no cultural or lyrical constraint that targets/excludes an audience. The music itself speaks to the listener. I think in my own writing you can really hear this influence in it.

Definitely understand you there, especially in movies such as star wars and lord of the rings, I can honestly remember some of the scores from those movies better than the movies themselves.

I really liked Stratovarius some years ago, i still like them, but i am not crazy about them anymore, anyway they were the first metal bands with keyboards that i started to listen, i remember that the only songs i knew from then, were speed of light and eagleheart, and i spended hours listening just to those two.

well, thanks to them, i really like power metal, and apreciatte keyboards in almost every style of metal :headbang:

I can definitely agree with you on Stratovarius. I actually started listening to them right after Infinite. Then Elements came out - and soon after the whole meltdown happened.

I actually don't dislike Stratovarius like lots of people now. I think the S/T did have some moments on there that were really good - but it was definitely no Visions/Destiny. I just enjoy the albums at different levels.

I actually picked up the new Stratovarius the other day. I'm liking it so far - I think you can still hear their old sound some, but it sounds fresh. For some reason I cannot get enough of "When Mountains Fall". It's like Forever Pt 2. :headbang:

I think if Tolkki had stayed in the band, we'd just be getting the progression Edguy is going through. I just don't think Tolkki has it in him anymore to write with that "Stratovarius sound" after Elements (I think it just drained him of writing that way anymore).

For me its a little bit different then Val:
2) Nightwish - Not a big surprise considering how big Tuomas is into Film Scores (See below)

I think that's partly why I like metal so much. To me (at least) it allows for the greatest range of expressions in music. From ballads, to epics, to an angry song, to just a piano with a person singing. Anything is allowed and possible.

What era of NW is your favorite (the more folk styles on AFF, the symphonic power metal on Oceanborn/Wishmaster, the more Gothic metal sound on Century Child, the general symphonic metal on Once and DPP)?

Nightwish is beyond fantastic. :D

Do you have a favorite filmscore composer?
(Mine would be Harry-Gregson Williams, Hans Zimmer, or Alan Menken depending on my mood...)

I can definitely agree with you on Stratovarius. I actually started listening to them right after Infinite. Then Elements came out - and soon after the whole meltdown happened.

I actually don't dislike Stratovarius like lots of people now. I think the S/T did have some moments on there that were really good - but it was definitely no Visions/Destiny. I just enjoy the albums at different levels.

I actually picked up the new Stratovarius the other day. I'm liking it so far - I think you can still hear their old sound some, but it sounds fresh. For some reason I cannot get enough of "When Mountains Fall". It's like Forever Pt 2. :headbang:

I think if Tolkki had stayed in the band, we'd just be getting the progression Edguy is going through. I just don't think Tolkki has it in him anymore to write with that "Stratovarius sound" after Elements (I think it just drained him of writing that way anymore).

yeah, its almost impossible for a band to keep writing incredible music all their career, and sometimes, if a band wats to stay alive, need to have changes, in this case, Tolkki had to go.

anyway, i need to give the new stratovarius album a chance, considering they have monsters like Mattian Kupiainen, Lauri Porra and the good ol' Jens Johanson, almost an "all star" line up :headbang:

What era of NW is your favorite (the more folk styles on AFF, the symphonic power metal on Oceanborn/Wishmaster, the more Gothic metal sound on Century Child, the general symphonic metal on Once and DPP)?

Nightwish is beyond fantastic. :D

Do you have a favorite filmscore composer?
(Mine would be Harry-Gregson Williams, Hans Zimmer, or Alan Menken depending on my mood...)

Definitely the Century Child/DPP sound. Century Child to me is the best Nightwish album. So I'm definitely more in that era then Oceanborn. I really love Oceanborn as it was the first Nightwish album I heard, but Century Child just connected with me musically. I felt Once was really good at first, but going back and listening to it - I find it hasn't held up as well. DPP though - love the album, and it definitely has staying power for me.

If I had to rank them:
1) Century Child
2) DPP
3) Oceanborn
4) Once
5) Wishmaster (Too much like an Oceanborn Pt 2)
6) Angels...

It's probably not a unique pick - but Hans Zimmer is my favorite composer. Tuomas's sound in Nightwish comes so much from Zimmmer IMO. Listen to The Rock/Crimson Tide and its like a precursor to the staccato keyboards in Century Child. Nightwish covered the theme song for Crimson Tide on their live DVD/CD - and it literally felt natural for their sound.

Other favorites are Jerry Goldmith, John Williams, Klaus Badelt, and then lots of the other composers who are too numerous to list. I agree on Alan Menken too. People might think less of him because of the genre he writes, but I can't think of many people that have come up with so many different memorable and timeless songs. 100 years from now, most of our metal bands won't even be names people remember. But Alan Menken - his stuff will be played till the end of time probably. The man just knows how to write good songs.

yeah, its almost impossible for a band to keep writing incredible music all their career, and sometimes, if a band wats to stay alive, need to have changes, in this case, Tolkki had to go.

anyway, i need to give the new stratovarius album a chance, considering they have monsters like Mattias Kupiainen, Lauri Porra and the good ol' Jens Johanson, almost an "all star" line up :headbang:

I think you're missing the biggest name there with Kotipelto :)

Unless you're a Miss K fan/supporter :lol:

I think you're missing the biggest name there with Kotipelto :)

Unless you're a Miss K fan/supporter :lol:

hahahahahah, nah, i preffer Kotipelto thanks, anyway, not my favorite vocalist, thats the reason i didnt mention him, but obiously, an stratovarius without Kotipelto would be like.....i dont know, simply, not right

Definitely the Century Child/DPP sound. Century Child to me is the best Nightwish album. So I'm definitely more in that era then Oceanborn. I really love Oceanborn as it was the first Nightwish album I heard, but Century Child just connected with me musically. I felt Once was really good at first, but going back and listening to it - I find it hasn't held up as well. DPP though - love the album, and it definitely has staying power for me.

If I had to rank them:
1) Century Child
2) DPP
3) Oceanborn
4) Once
5) Wishmaster (Too much like an Oceanborn Pt 2)
6) Angels...

It's probably not a unique pick - but Hans Zimmer is my favorite composer. Tuomas's sound in Nightwish comes so much from Zimmmer IMO. Listen to The Rock/Crimson Tide and its like a precursor to the staccato keyboards in Century Child. Nightwish covered the theme song for Crimson Tide on their live DVD/CD - and it literally felt natural for their sound.

Other favorites are Jerry Goldmith, John Williams, Klaus Badelt, and then lots of the other composers who are too numerous to list. I agree on Alan Menken too. People might think less of him because of the genre he writes, but I can't think of many people that have come up with so many different memorable and timeless songs. 100 years from now, most of our metal bands won't even be names people remember. But Alan Menken - his stuff will be played till the end of time probably. The man just knows how to write good songs.

Century Child was the album that broke me into NW--I had heard songs off of Once, but only GLS did anything for me, but CC just...that's the album that made me fall in love with the band. Ever Dream was the song that really caught me, and then the whole album after that...each song is a personal favorite on it.

I used to not like the Oceanborn/Wishmaster era at all when I first got into them, but Dead Boy's Poem, Gethsemane, and Sleeping Sun made me fall in love with it after awhile. Gethsemane is still definitely a favorite from Oceanborn.
Wishmaster was likeable for me, though. It wasn't the most original music, and I actually recognized some of the melody lines as being ripped off Oceanborn, haha, but I felt it was a very flowing album. The lyrics weren't personal and the music wasn't technical, but you could feel the band was having a good, non-stressful time when playing, which was nice.
Angels isn't a favorite album, but I do love the tracks where Tuomas sings! He may think he sings like a mule, but at least he sings like a very cute mule! :D Nymphomaniac Fantasia is a track I like to forget about. :)

When I first heard FWTE's live show, I thought that Crimson Tide/Deep Blue Sea WAS a NW song, lol! So I completely agree, that song was very natural for them, and Tuomas has repeatedly said Zimmer is a huge influence for him.

I think more of Alan Menken for the genre he writes, haha. I'm a Disney fanatic. In fact my eighteenth birthday is this Friday, and guess what party-theme I'm having for my day of reaching adulthood?
Disney Princess. :D
His broadway work is great, too.

Speaking of NW, have you heard their version of Sibelius's "Finlandia"? It's really beautiful and moving, better than any other version of it I've heard (and I've loved and listened to that song for a long while). Tuomas certainly knows how to not just make a song his own, but get into the spirit of the music itself and express it as it was meant to be.

I love how daring NW is with their music.

What are your favorite tracks from DPP?

Oh yeah I agree, film scores can be awing.

"...Pagan's Mind...
...Lamb of God..."

YES. JUST YES.

On a side note, I'm going to hear / see Stratovarious for the first time on the 23rd (along with Pagans Mind) up in Baltimore. I'm glad to see they come so highly recommended.