Quick question for long time Symph X fans

voxdidd

New Metal Member
Feb 15, 2005
I've been a Symphony X fan for a while but my Discs were all stolen and I always made mixes of the cd's so I don't really remember which one was which. Which ones should I get? I truly love DT's first 5 or so discs but don't like the last two if that helps on a judge of my taste.

lol We get like two of these threads a week. No worries I suppose.

Generally, I think the highest majority of people are going to recommend Symphony X - V, but I wouldn't. V is an aquired taste and still my least favorite SyX album.

The Divine Wings of Tragedy is my recommendation.

To be honest, when compared to Dream Theater, I don't think there's really one Symphony X song that sounds like Dream Theater's signature sound. I'm probably going to get a lot of people who disagree with me here, but I can't think of anything. Maybe Awakenings, A Winter's Dream, or if you want to stretch it, possibly Through the Looking Glass (a little bit like Metropolis). Other than that, I've got nothing.

When I think about it, I guess V really isn't a good album to start off with, even though it is my favorite. It's just so much to take in at one time, and when I first heard it I remembered being overwhelmed with their sound, especially since it flows like a single track. I say start off with Divine Wings, and then take it from there.

Beelzebub said:
When I think about it, I guess V really isn't a good album to start off with, even though it is my favorite. It's just so much to take in at one time, and when I first heard it I remembered being overwhelmed with their sound, especially since it flows like a single track. I say start off with Divine Wings, and then take it from there.

I would say the same thing for DWoT.

For starters Odyssey or Damnation Game would be the best choice.

DWoT is the perfect starter album. It's got an epic, it's got The Accolade, and overall a very strong, very Symphony X line-up. That's what I and all of my friends got started with. It's still my favorite album.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of Divine Wings, Twilight, V or Odyssey. They are all unique, but all represent Symphony X's unique style and approach to writing music. If you like Symphony X's musical presence, then whichever of these that you choose will be exactly what you're looking for. But as I have said before, if you have the money then buy the whole bloody lot.

Self-titled is basically a demo, and has Rod Tyler on vocals which are not to the majority of people's tastes. Damnation Game is where they found their sound. The following four studio albums are where they show the world what it means to write incredible neo-classical, progressive, heavy, symphonic, power (etc ad infinitum) metal.

Thanks everyone. I think I will still go with V which was my original choice but I'll end up getting a few of the others sooner or later :OMG: .

voxdidd said:
I've been a Symphony X fan for a while
(translation: "just discovered them through a friend who burned me some songs")
but my Discs were all stolen
(translation: "I've never had any")
and I always made mixes of the cd's so I don't really remember
(translation: "don't really know")
which one was which. Which ones should I get? I truly love DT's first 5 or so discs but don't like the last two if that helps on a judge of my taste.
Thanks

:Spin: jk of course

I'd agree with most and recommend DWoT.