Quit?

affinityband

Mar 12, 2005
Brackley, England
www.myspace.com
Opeth i feel have succeeded at the top of their game with their last album. I always crave to hear what Opeth have to do next, but this sort of desire has gone, with the recent release of 'Ghost Reveries'. Its like it would be very hard to out do themselves next time. Like Emperor had done with 'Prometheus...' and At the Gates 'Slaughter of the Soul'. i am not saying these are the best, or my favourite albums by these bands. but they certantly, musically, created the best albums they could put forward. i belive this with Opeths ghost reveries, It isnt my favourite album. But they have matured so much with this release and it will be hard to out do. I wouldnt want to see such a great band 'burn out'.

Yer i agree totally, i think this is as good as Opeth will get after deliverence......

But i trust Mike and i also know he wouldnt want to chuck out another album out there unless he thought it was the best he could write. I also think his ego will tell him not to if it does not measure up to GR.

I just hope im right.

ithink Opeth just entered the 3rd stage of their evolution as band. each stage contained 2 albums being followed up by a transitional album (i view here Deliverance/Damnation as one album). so we have:

Stage 1:
(1) Orchid
(2) Morningrise

Transition:
(3) My Arms Your Hearse

Stage 2:
(4) Still Life
(5) Blackwater Park

Transition:
(6+7) Deliverance/Damnation

Stage 3:
(8) Ghost Reveries
(9) ???

Transition:
(10) ???

so, imho, they will release another output in the vein of Ghost Reveries, refining the musical concepts they embraced on GR before making another transitionl album and moving to new shores afterwards.

well, thats just my own hypothesis. the other possibility (and my hope) is the 10th album (after the GR-follower) will be the band's eventual last release and their magnum-opus combining all the best aspects of the three stages of their career.

I kinda feel that Opeth is still in their infancy! Not that I could think of ways they could improve/change their sound, but Mikey does have a habit of surprising us.

Hell, he might just take up those 'gregorian chants' or 'black metal' ideas. We shall see, aye?

Hypnos said:
ithink Opeth just entered the 3rd stage of their evolution as band. each stage contained 2 albums being followed up by a transitional album (i view here Deliverance/Damnation as one album). so we have:

Stage 1:
(1) Orchid
(2) Morningrise

Transition:
(3) My Arms Your Hearse

Stage 2:
(4) Still Life
(5) Blackwater Park

Transition:
(6+7) Deliverance/Damnation

Stage 3:
(8) Ghost Reveries
(9) ???

Transition:
(10) ???

so, imho, they will release another output in the vein of Ghost Reveries, refining the musical concepts they embraced on GR before making another transitionl album and moving to new shores afterwards.

well, thats just my own hypothesis. the other possibility (and my hope) is the 10th album (after the GR-follower) will be the band's eventual last release and their magnum-opus combining all the best aspects of the three stages of their career.

I'd agree with the whole Stage/Transition stuff.. and i'd say yeh it'd probably be best for Opeth to quit on their 10th album.. but i'm not sure whether they'd do that.. Then again, we don't know whether Mike will have a sudden surge of inspiration etc. I'm not sure they will, but seems sensible in a way.

I must say I was worried before GR was released, as they have so many great albums that I was nervous that it wouldnt stand up to the rest of them. But thankfully I was wrong,it wasn't that I thought they would produce a bad album, I don't think they physically could make one, but I just hated the thought that it wouldn't be as good. So I reckon I will feel like this for the rest of their albums, and will hopefully be wrong over and over again!

First of all Opeth has been graced with new blood in form of Per wiberg. This has givin´the band the nessecary creatvie input they needed. Opeth should at least be able to spawn a couple of albums on that new energy. After that who knows?

Korlich said:
First of all Opeth has been graced with new blood in form of Per wiberg. This has givin´the band the nessecary creatvie input they needed. Opeth should at least be able to spawn a couple of albums on that new energy. After that who knows?

...And after that they can get in a DJ to lay down some phat choonz that will be 'blitzin' bruv! :Smokin: DJ B-Nyt3d or MC Lamm3nt@y5hun anyone?

opeth_353 said:
i'd say yeh it'd probably be best for Opeth to quit on their 10th album..

How can you say this when you haven't even heard the 9th yet? Although I disagree about Opeth reaching the top of their game musically (I feel that Still Life is their most "complete" album experience) they have shown their ability to evolve beyond, well, themselves time and again. Everything they do brings to me an air of excitement because they are so unique and innovative. With noone else out there even touching the sort of thing they do, it will be a very sad day when they do have to call it quits, for even if they are of form when the time comes, I doubt there will be anyone to replace them. No matter what turn they take, they will always be trailblazers, and they will continue to evolve. Long live Opeth!

affinityband said:
Yea these are all valid points. at least this is more discussion worthythan the normal 'favourite song off....' thread.
Oi!

They will still have gig constantly too. although thinking about it, i dont reckon they will stop till they stop enjoying making the music.

And sorry lol, but those threads are really boring when every new comer makes a thread about it.

theonecynic said:
How can you say this when you haven't even heard the 9th yet?
Oi!

I'd rather Opeth quit with me wanting more than them quitting because people are bored of them. As i said for all we know Mikael has got the inspiration or may get a sudden surge to write double that amount, but personally i'm not sure i'd like them to. I honestly don't see how even Mikael/Opeth could manage to write so many solid albums.

But hey, it's just speculation isn't it.

Dreadful said:
they're not done...the next album will be even further into the ghost reveries sound and possibly more technical

No, you're completely wrong - the next album will be the unexpected return to their roots and will be called "Rhododendron" as Mike suddenly realizes that he can now do triple lead lines!