Disapointed in Opeth setlists for this tour?

preachsin

haha..back from the dead!
Oct 31, 2005
I must admit, I am disapointed with the setlist. Only two songs from Ghost Reveries.. no Ghost of Perdition.. they did release a new album, did they not?

preachsin said:
I must admit, I am disapointed with the setlist. Only two songs from Ghost Reveries.. no Ghost of Perdition.. they did release a new album, did they not?

They have 8 cds dude. And IMO Ghost Reveries is definitely not the best so I'm glad they didn't play more then two songs from it. If you haven't listened to any of the older stuff and didn't like that they only played two songs from the new cd then why did you waste your time going to the concert when someone who really likes their entire body of work could have gone?

I was disappointed with the inclusion of Blackwater Park.

Don't really like that song at all.

Substitute it for In the Mist She Was Standing or Black Rose Immortal and it would have been perfect.

The rest of the set was pretty strong I thought.

It would be awesome if they played In the Mist She Was Standing...I love that song...actually anything from Orchid would be pretty sweet.

Lost_Orchid said:
They have 8 cds dude. And IMO Ghost Reveries is definitely not the best so I'm glad they didn't play more then two songs from it. If you haven't listened to any of the older stuff and didn't like that they only played two songs from the new cd then why did you waste your time going to the concert when someone who really likes their entire body of work could have gone?

I've listened to all of their stuff, IMO Ghost Reveries is their best work, Blackwater Park and Still Life a close second.

You ASSume too much.

preachsin said:
I've listened to all of their stuff, IMO Ghost Reveries is their best work, Blackwater Park and Still Life a close second.

You ASSume too much.

"To assume makes an ass out of you and me"...and in this case especially me :oops:.

BlackMetal>AnyMusic said:
It's not bad, I liked it better than Orchid or Deliverance, but calling it their best is way out of line.
Meh, no way. Deliverance rules and Orchid is def. better than GR. Just an opinion though really

Really? I love Deliverance and I think it gets way too much flak for being 'the bad album' that every band has, but Orchid is the only Opeth album that I consider semi-enjoyable. 'Forest of October' is a favorite of mine though...

i hate to throw out the "as a musician" comment, but I just have to..

As a musician and a guitarist, Ghost Reveries is BY FAR their best work. The compositions are far more thought out and constructed and fine tuned than ANY of their previous work. Don't get me wrong, their older stuff is great, but song for song, GR takes it.

Previous work, chord structures have barely differed, GR's on th eother hand, every song is different.

I'm SURE Mikael and the rest of the band will agree with me when I say Ghost Reveries is the best they have done.

preachsin said:
i hate to throw out the "as a musician" comment, but I just have to..

As a musician and a guitarist, Ghost Reveries is BY FAR their best work. The compositions are far more thought out and constructed and fine tuned than ANY of their previous work. Don't get me wrong, their older stuff is great, but song for song, GR takes it.

Previous work, chord structures have barely differed, GR's on th eother hand, every song is different.

I'm SURE Mikael and the rest of the band will agree with me when I say Ghost Reveries is the best they have done.
Okay, I've been playing the guitar for 18 years...does that make me legible? Ghost Reveries is certainly not their best work, and saying such is just...weird. The compositions are far more thought out and contructed? What led you to this belief? And what the hell does tuning have to do with anything? The foundation of their older material holds up so much better than anything on Ghost Reveries, just take a peek at a few tabs from each album and you'll see what I mean. Chord structures have not differed at all and Opeth even explored new boundaries (different vocal styles, different tuning). You'd be suprised how many different songs from an album can have so much in common and still come out as a better, properly-structured album. Look at Metallica! Every song from their first five albums are similar in so many ways, and each one is considered a multi-platinum classic.

It's nothing personal at all, and I don't want this to erupt into some stupid arguement, I just don't see what point you're trying to make. It all comes down to opinion; yet with the little fact that remains, it's the albums like My Arms, Your Hearse and Still Life that take the gold.

fine tuned, not tuning..

my point is, every song on Ghost Reveries has it's own identity. Previous albums? not so much.

Everyone has their favorite album and view of what their best is. We just don't share the same view.