Votes: 16 31.4%
  • No opinion / shit thread

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters

wwallinga

Working on #3
Jan 26, 2004
NH/ME Border
When you listen to a single Opeth cd, do you choose to listen straight through or do you choose random play? There are advantages to both, I think.

Some albums must be played from song 1 to song n - always. One example is Pink Floyd, The Wall. Playing that on random is just stupid IMO.

The early albums with the demo tracks make randomizing an annoying experience, and for MAYH, the instrumental tracks show up at the wrong time (who needs raining between Karma and The Amen Corner?)

But, I like Still Life and Blackwater Park in random mode. Yeah, I know Still Life is telling a story, but dammit, I still like it.

So, anyway, which is it for you?

I really always listen to them in the regular way. i think the albums are only creating the typical flair in the right order, also i think they only come into existence when you listen to them in the right order. i mean most of the tracks just fit perfectly in the regular order;
of course their are execptions, i really enojoy listening to "the drapery falls" direktly after "bleak", just because i like the link.. but.. i want "morningrise" to start with "advent", dont know.. just because it is that way.. also i dont like it not to know what the next song is going to be.. just imagine im listening to "a fair judgement" at a high volume, awaiting some calm sadness after it, but instead "deliverance" is gonna blow my brain out.. no, dont like that..

i only use vinyl records so i dont really have much of choice.

note: the "raining" on MAYH is actually a stream. or creek. not rain. ;)

I love the whole experience of listening to one album. But somethings I just don't have the time but I really wanna listen to them so I'll play a track or two to get my fix

Most albums I prefer to have in regular play, especially when they have a bit of a flow to them (eg, Tool - Lateralus, Diabolical Masquerade - Death's Design etc).

Mostly regular, but sometimes I'll play random if I don't have time to sit through the whole album. The first tracks on albums get a lot more listens, so I try to mix it up once in a while. Moreso if it's not Opeth.

Damnation lends itself well to random.

It is currently in my son's room (6 months old) and I often put it on random-repeat for the entire night. It puts him to sleep AND I get to listen to it on the monitor. :D

I have my stereo hooked up to my computer, and all my cds (in mp3) on the computer, so i usually just chuck winamp on random and see what comes on...
BUT whenever im using my discman, which is practically every day, I always keep that on regular play and listen to cds normally. Each has its place.
Also, going from Electric Six straight into Opeth is funny.

sometimes one or the other. Some days I'm in the mood to just listen straight through any Opeth album, while other days I want to listen to a certain song such as listening to Masters Apprentices first or nectar.

dorian gray said:
i only use vinyl records so i dont really have much of choice.

note: the "raining" on MAYH is actually a stream. or creek. not rain. ;)

I envy you so much... I've never heard Opeth on vinyl and I'm realllllllllly curious how good it sounds.