Rate my Band

Riffman15

Mar 27, 2010
Hey guys!!! I love bodom, Alexi is one of my number one, if not THE number on influence on my playing. I'm not quite as good as him yet but am getting better check out my bands song "Rock&Roll" being performed live opening for Hammerfall in Cleveland, OH. Name of the band is INSIGNIA by the way, more content is available in the links in my signature. Thanks a lot!!!:headbang:

3/10
unoriginal, boring.
Why listen to you, when we can listen to the bands that sound exactly the same, but have already an established following?

well, that's the first time I've heard unoriginal... I was under the impression we sounded different than most metal bands. Who do we sound like exactly?

I mean we're no children of bodom, but then again who is?

of course not.. why would you think that? he took the time to comment on my band, so I thought I would reciprocate and give his music a listen. jeez.:rolleyes:

If he doesn't, would you assume he's unfit to criticise you?

Go the fuck away.

singer does get a lot of criticism... but, he knows a lot of people and is a networking personality, so he brings a lot a people to out shows. sometimes that gets the gig at a small-scale level.

Yeah sorry man but I think your band is pretty bad. The vocals are awful in that they're not powerful, go between clean and harsh at insanely odd times and just don't fit at all. The drums are ok but sound pretty bad and seem kinda jumpy and not really keeping the beat. The bass is too loud and the guitars sound like they were recorded on a line 6 pod with no mixing to bring them forward at all. Also song titles are highly unoriginal and just too plain and simple, there's nothing to them at all. Calling a song Rock and roll or dance is just really lame. All your songs just sound like parts thrown together with insanely stupid and worthless lyrics.

How long have you guys been playing your instruments and making music? I think you should really just go practice more at your respective instruments, try to find a theme you want to write lyrics about or go out and learn about some stuff that interests you; once you're better at your instruments, have some good ideas for lyrics and listen to some metal bands and look at how they put together songs maybe you'll be able to make something better and you should come back to it then, right now it seems like you're just making a bad name for your band by putting a foul taste in peoples mouths when they see you live opening for bands like hammerfall; it'll be hard to replace a first impression when you do eventually get better and people see you in the future, they'll just think of you as that shitty band they've seen opening for big bands.

I'm not the master of all band related knowledge but I've been in a band writing music and dealing with all this stuff for long enough that I think I've got some ok points you should look into; your skill level and writing abilities remind me of when I was around 14 or 15 and just starting to write songs that were absolutely terrible but I thought they were good because I just didn't know and I was thrilled to be making my own music. Eventually you'll get better and not even realize it.

Sounds and looks more like a hobby band than one looking for a label, and if you're opening for Hammerfall, it can't be that bad. Nothing anyone here would buy though, sorry.

Sometimes I wonder why ppl even post threads like this on COBOT. One would think there's lots of other places fit for the purpose. I mean, the only place less fit for constructive criticism than COBOT is /b/, and only barely.

I'd rate your band, man, but I'm in China and can't haz Utube. Do you guys have myspace or something? PM me if so.

NVM, found it. The R&R song is played decently well, guitarworks' good, but I think songwriting is the problem. It just doesn't sound very interesting somehow. As far as the vocals go, I can't say that clean vocals are bad (as far as clean vocals go anyway), but you guys need to get someone who can actually growl. It was pretty bad.

I liked the Acid Trip song a lot more than the R&R song. I can't say either song is very "metal". Not with that style of drums or vocals anyway. Nu-metal, maybe. But you don't want to be a nu-metal band :p

Overall, needs work of course, looks like you guys haven't quite found your style quite yet. I'd suggest working harder on songwriting, and either teaching the vocalist to sing better, or to sing less :lol:

And well, all of what Enemy242 said. He probably has more experience in these things than I do ;)

^ You've got a point there :lol:

Although, the place isn't necessary shitty. Just the worst place to ask for advice :D