RC March Madness - The Elite 8 (votes needed):

Iron Maiden (2 Agalloch albums and an EP just doesn't cut it I'm afraid, no matter how extraordinary)

Slough Feg (although this is tough as hell, I'm pretty much just donating my vote here expecting a Burzum walkthrough)

Enslaved (my life is upside down right now: Vikingligr > Heartwork I'm afraid to say)

Bathory (it came down to Morningrise vs. Hammerheart, and Hammerheart wins)

Well, Hammerheart > anything Opeth ever have been associated with, so my choice is pretty simple. There is more genuine emotion in a single riff or scream from Quorthon off Hammerheart than most Opeth stuff combined.

Well, Hammerheart > anything Opeth ever have been associated with, so my choice is pretty simple. There is more genuine emotion in a single riff or scream from Quorthon off Hammerheart than most Opeth stuff combined.

edit...fuck this server

union.jpg

union2.jpg

union3.jpg

Doomcifer said:
Well, Hammerheart > anything Opeth ever have been associated with

True!

There is more genuine emotion in a single riff or scream from Quorthon off Hammerheart than most Opeth stuff combined.

That's just pushing it a little! The newer stuff, YES! But Orchid? Some of that stuff sounds pretty emotional.

One Rode to Asa Bay = High Emotional Charge!
Deliverance (song) = Hypnotizes me every time I hear it.

hypnosis > emotion

(note that musically speaking for me, hypnosis is the strongest emotion there is, which is why I loooooooooove me some drug music)

7 - Carcass
8 - Enslaved

This should be a fun one. I expect an Enslaved victory, simply because we have more black metal and prog listeners than kickass death metal listeners. I'm surprised JayK voted for Enslaved after his anti-Enslaved sentiments lately.

Necroticism owns Enslaved in every which way.

I think JayK has only heard Heartwork, in which case he is seriously missing out. Sure it's my favorite Carcass album, but it's really the only one like that. He'd probably poop all over himself over Necroticism. Hmm...

*wink wink, nudge nudge*

Re: Enslaved, if I struggle, I go with best of both bands and compare them:

Vikingligr vs Rust in Peace = RiP
Vikingligr vs Nightfall in Middle Earth = Nightfall
Vikingligr vs Heartwork = Vikingligr

To me, Enslaved crept through....

One Inch Man said:
I think JayK has only heard Heartwork, in which case he is seriously missing out. Sure it's my favorite Carcass album, but it's really the only one like that. He'd probably poop all over himself over Necroticism. Hmm...

Oh, I have "Reek...." by the way, but it doesn't come close to Heartwork IMO.

*wink wink, nudge nudge*

Say no more. :tickled:

Like I said though, this round can go in any direction and it would be cool. It's like I've exhausted all my fun out of this tournament in the Maiden vs Ulver battle. :tickled: (Not to mention seeing Megadeth get butt raped in the shower).

Doomcifer said:
THANK YOU. Not to mention more effort, more originality... I mean, Quorthon probably spent more time recording the immense backing vocals for "Valhalla" than Opeth did recording the entire "Deliverance" album. It makes me sad when people speak ill of Bathory; I'd like everyone to realize the full extent of how truly beyond words his work is, and how Bathory is, and I am not exaggerating, the finest musical project that's ever existed.

I mean... Opeth. PFF.

J. said:
7 - Carcass
8 - Enslaved

This should be a fun one. I expect an Enslaved victory, simply because we have more black metal and prog listeners than kickass death metal listeners. I'm surprised JayK voted for Enslaved after his anti-Enslaved sentiments lately.

Necroticism owns Enslaved in every which way.
I like both Necroticism and Heartwork a whole bunch, but Enslaved is Enslaved and they released "Vikingligr Veldi", end of discussion

Demilich said:
I'd like to see Mike Akerfeldt come in here and vote for Bathory! That'd make my day :)
He did dedicate one song to Quorthon when Opeth played at the last Sweden Rock Festival, which took place only a few days after his passing. Opeth may not be so great nowadays, but that was a cool thing to do.

I like Vikingligr Veldi and Eld a whole bunch, but Carcass is Carcass, and they released Necroticism. That, my friend, is the end. ;)

Erik said:
Opeth may not be so great nowadays, but that was a cool thing to do.

They're really nice guys, no matter what. I can't stop hoping, somehow, that the new album will kick nine kinds of ass! I know it's a bit of a stretch, but at least it should be different!