READ THIS or the Sneap Forum FTP goes down!

Kazrog

Kazrog, Inc.
Mar 6, 2002
California
kazrog.com
Guys, it's time for an update on the FTP...

I've found a ton of violations of policy on the FTP today. Namely:

1. Whole sessions (Pro Tools, Cubase, Nuendo, etc., gigabytes worth of session files!)
  2. Pirated commercial software

I can't tolerate this and I have deleted all files that fit this description.

Troyanasy - you posted pirated software on the FTP. Never post anything on my FTP again or it gets shut down and everyone will know who to blame.

Anyway, keep it cool guys. My rules are simple and pretty generous. The next violation that happens will result in a shutdown of the server permanently. Sorry for the downer post.

Guys, it's time for an update on the FTP...

I've found a ton of violations of policy on the FTP today. Namely:

1. Whole sessions (Pro Tools, Cubase, Nuendo, etc., gigabytes worth of session files!)
  2. Pirated commercial software

I can't tolerate this and I have deleted all files that fit this description.

Troyanasy - you posted pirated software on the FTP. Never post anything on my FTP again or it gets shut down and everyone will know who to blame.

Anyway, keep it cool guys. My rules are simple and pretty generous. The next violation that happens will result in a shutdown of the server permanently. Sorry for the downer post.

Can you ban who ever did that, as it could happen again and the loss of such a free feature wouldn't be great for forum members if we lost it????:OMG::OMG:

If the above is not possible track them down and feed them to a pack of bull mastifs.

I think people are always going to abuse the FTP server, whether the rules are mandated or not. I'd say you can save yourself some stress and just shut it down right off the bat, or get into the habit of banning IP address ranges.

I think people are always going to abuse the FTP server, whether the rules are mandated or not. I'd say you can save yourself some stress and just shut it down right off the bat, or get into the habit of banning IP address ranges.

Of course. I know the order in which these things go as I am a professional web designer/developer since 1994. And the next step is to convert to web-only server with individual accounts/passwords and file size limitations. I'm not far from doing it. I just thought I'd show some faith in this community and go against common sense by doing things on the honor system.

"Best practices" may be smart most of the time but they are also boring. Watch out, that drapery might fall sooner than you think...

Yeah dude, I don't know how much trouble you'd get into if you server was found out to have that type on content on it, but it might not be worth it for you to keep it up. I'd hate to see you get in trouble over something like this. Thanks for the awesome service, but there's always going to be someone who just dosen't give a fuck.

OK - another update (012908) - I've decided to close off FTP access for now, leaving only the web front end open. I am working on the next version of this service and will keep everyone posted.

That's some bad news :(
What about limiting the possible transfer to audio-files?
I guess 90% of the stuff is audio in some form, this way you could block .zip .exe .rar and so on and keep it cleaner without much administration?

Just an idea...

Sadly, this does not surprise me whatsoever. It seems in the short amount of time that Kazrog has been providing this to the community he has received the full gamut of violations. It's unfair to him and to the respectful members using the service.

It's amazing that he is even considering spending the time setting up individual accounts after this.

If this gets shut down that will be two servers provided free of charge by two respected forum members shut down due to lack of respect and a high level of noobism on the behalf of all the abusers.

Oh, and where do I get guitarhacks impulses and how do I use them? I heard they give great distortion. BTW I'm looking for the cheapest route so post up yer warez links homiez. :rolleyes: