Really Long Songs....

YaYo

whendaydescends.com
May 6, 2001
Ok, i always love a really long song if its done well..
sooooooo, what songs are there out there that pass the 20 minute mark?
i only know of 'Black Rose Immortal', and DreamTheater's 'A Change Of Seasons'.. both of which i love! :)
oh and once upon a time i heard a 20+ minute song by NOFX i think!!.. but that really doesnt deserve a mention..

My friend was telling me about that NOFX song. And I don't think it deserves a mention ;) I've got a few songs that are over 60 minutes long - one's orbital and the others are random dance people a friend lent me basically mixing all their songs

hehe. well i heard the NOFX song through an exchange..
i wanted to show him Opeth, so i agreed to listen to that NOFX song and he agreed to listen to BRI..

60 minute songs???????!!!!!
do they seem like a single song (like ACOS and BRI do), or more like a collection of tracks that all merge into one?

Edge of Sanity's album 'Crimson' is just one, 40-some minute long song. This album is really incredible, and features Mike (Opeth) on vocals on a few featured parts (whenever Dan Swanö isn't singing). If you don't have this one, get it now!

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
60 minute songs???????!!!!!
do they seem like a single song (like ACOS and BRI do), or more like a collection of tracks that all merge into one?

They seem like a single song on most of them. The good ones are so well mixed it all flows really well - thats 2 of them. The others do sound like a collection of songs merged into one :)

ok let me see...

The Divine Wings of Tragedy by Symphony X
All of the Above by Transatlantic (this one is over 30 min.)
2112 by Rush
The Ivory Gates of Dreams by Fates Warning

Thats all I can think of right now.

liquid tension experiments got some long ass songs.... i love those fucking guys... and think about how much harder it is to play long songs if they are progressive, and all done in wierd timings........ how the fuck do they remember it, no drugs for them!! hehe

Jethro Tull - 'Thick As A Brick'
Genesis - 'Supper's Ready'
King Crimson - 'Lizard'
Camel - 'The Snow Goose'
Emerson Lake & Palmer - 'Tarkus'

Five progressive masterpieces over 20 minutes long.

In some Indian music like L. Shankar (he plays an 18-string violin) the improvisations between musicians last as long as an hour or more... and they never repeat one string of notes.

Mentioned before, but I thoroughly recommend:

1.Rush-Hemispheres
2.Rush-2112
3. Several other Rush songs not quite reaching the 20 min. mark but still long songs, especially "The Fountain of Lamneth"
4. Fates Warning- The Ivory Gate of Dreams

Songs I know of are:

Opeth- Black Rose Immortal 20 minutes
Edge of Sanity- Crimson 40 minutes
Liquid Tension Experiment- 3 Minute Warning 28 minutes
Dream Theater- Change of Seasons 23 minutes or something
Dream Theater- Burning My Soul/ Hell's Kitchen/ Lines in the Sand (it's three different tracks and songs but all go together like one song, great stuff!) 22 minutes
Agalloch- She Painted Fire Across the Skyline (Close at 18 minutes)
Mike Oldfield- Amarok (one song album of 60 minutes)
Mike Oldfield- Ommadawn 40 minutes or so
Mike Oldfield- Tubular Bells uuhhh about 40 minutes
Mike Oldfield- Taurus II 25 minutes
more Mike Oldfield I believe is over 20 min.
Mistigo Varggath Darkestra- his one song album is 72 minutes long!

I have more thats all I can think of at the moment though

The Orb-Blue Room, 40+ minutes. The longest song ever on the BBC top ten charts.
Coil -Queens of the Circulating Library 40 minutes.

Edge of Sanity-Crimson is amazing, and not just because Micheal is on it.

Mike Oldfield is amazing. I can't believe I forgot about that guy. The number of instruments he can play is not alone impressive - he releases an album almost every two years and never runs out of things to say musically.

Hmmm i know some of you guys have heard of Devil Doll.
The Doctor is a fucking musical genius. And i dont say that often!
So yeah all of the Devil Doll albums are in my mind the best long 'songs'.

Arckanum has also very long ones, last album is a double CD, only four tracks, but as others, tracks are more than one single song, they are assembled songs, I'd say. The Edge Of Sanity's Crimson is perfect, Transatlantic's All of the above is magnificent, Haggard has some long songs too (around 10')