Recent Purchases

I usually value instrumentation over vocals, but that isn't always the case.

12 minutes of mediocre acoustic shit set to slow, lullaby-esque vocals is not appealing to me, at all.... and the fact they throw in some electric guitar and growling at parts is also not all too impressive.

Sorry but this made me lol.

Name a single band that sounds similiar to Opeth, just try.

Well, I could name a lot of bands that share similar elements separately (the vocals, acoustics shit/mixed with growls), and the fact they just combined those things and didn't put much of a twist on it doesn't make them a pioneering band... And also, please note, just because no one sounds like them doesn't mean they are that good or innovative, ffs I can name a million SHIT bands that NO ONE sounds like :p I wouldn't say they are one of the best because they are different. I respect that you guys really dig the music, and I can understand why but I just don't see how this band makes people react in such a way... and I am a guy who likes ALL kinds of music...

Opeth is not the kind of band TRYING to be impressive or amazing.
Just personal, calm, deep music.

*Postjump* Not particularly, I could also say Katatonia and In Mourning if I meant it like that. But I mean in terms of Opeth's style and song structure.. I don't think there is another band that has the same style as Opeth.

Opeth is not the kind of band TRYING to be impressive or amazing.
Just personal, calm, deep music.

And that is my problem, they are only a one-note band really, maybe a few song shear and there but the majority of their work is just meant as "personal, calm, deep music"... and I don't know about you guys but I am not ALWAYS in the mood for that. And their are a lot of other bands that provide "personal, calm, deep music" to me that I prefer more. That doesn't mean they aren't good, I just can't understand how you can say Opeth is better than Borknagar, a band which has been constantly evolving, putting out ALL kinds of music, fast, slow, acoustic, aggressive, everything really... such an epic blend of many sounds. That is what I like in a band. The fact they do one style really well doesn't make them that great imo.

*Postjump* Not particularly, I could also say Katatonia and In Mourning if I meant it like that. But I mean in terms of Opeth's style and song structure.. I don't think there is another band that has the same style as Opeth.

Please, don't compare Opeth to Katatonia... they are just the epitome of awful doom metal :lol:

CHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDRWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWRCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDGROWLCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORDCHORD

Both Opeth and Katatonia are awesome bands.

I <3 this song

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care if it is faster, slower, whatever, as long as it remains quality music I'm fine with it.
DHG is fucking fast and I loooooooooove this band.

^ Agreed, as much as I love fast, technical progressive metal... I'm always up for listening to something a little more sincere and meaningful.

At least you like Symphony X :lol:
I don't like them... I fucking LOVE them.
I don't care if it is faster, slower, whatever, as long as it remains quality music I'm fine with it.
DHG is fucking fast and I loooooooooove this band.

>_> Why is no one getting me... :lol:

^ Agreed, as much as I love fast, technical progressive metal... I'm always up for listening to something a little more sincere and meaningful.

You're missing my point... also, <Code> sounds a lot like Opeth, at least the song Ghost Formula does :p Check them out.

...they have some great songs, Closure, Black Rose Immortal, The Drapery Falls, Blackwater Park, Reverie/Harlequin Forest... but a lot of their songs are fucking insanely boring and slow to me, and I'm not always in the mood for slow music like that...

I agree. They aren't the most popular band, but those who ARE fans of Opeth overrate them in my opinion. It's as if they shoot Opeth up their veins and proceed to enter crazy trances while listening to their 12-minute songs. I get tired of that stuff after a while! :lol:

That being said, I'm in the mood for some Opeth right now. :p

fyrstikk.jpg

For the churches.

I don't think so, both bands have really talented musicians but Borknagar has two really amazing vocalists, Lazare and Vintersorg. And while I only like that Opeth guy's voice sometimes, I still think he's not that great of a singer, I have yet to hear him hit any really fast paced, high, clean vocals... it's always been that slow shit.

Check out Bloodbath hes a singer there as well...