recomend me some more prog.

goth_fiend

happiness is jagermiester
Jan 15, 2004
california
im a huge fan of symphony x duh, and i like some kotipelto, and of coarse children of bodom are the shit(but there def. not prog.) what are some good bands that are prog and suggest me some songs to check out, i was curioius about adagio as well, are they any good?

Adagio - The Stringless Violin, Chosen, Underworld (yes they are any good)
Opeth - Bleak, Deliverance, Godhead's Lament
Dream Theater - Home, Pull me Under, A Change of Seasons (sorry if you already know about them)
Pain of Salvation - A Trace of Blood, Ending Theme, Ashes

My favorite prog metal groups (minus SX ;) )

Dream Theater
Sun Caged
Evergrey
Liquid Tension Experiment (old instrumental side project involving most of DT)
Derek Sherinian (solo work...great instrumental music)
Aryeon
Fates Warning
Spiral Architect (may give you a headache with some parts though :p )
Planet X (same as above)

And if you're into Kotipelto and Stratovarius, you'll like Sonata Artica. They aren't prog, but they're power metal very much like Strato...though I feel they are a bit better. I like the guitarist and vocalist better, and the songs are more consistant IMO.

And if you're into Kotipelto and Stratovarius, you'll like Sonata Artica. They aren't prog, but they're power metal very much like Strato...though I feel they are a bit better. I like the guitarist and vocalist better, and the songs are more consistant IMO.[/QUOTE]

I feel Jani is a very underrated guitarist one of my faves :headbang:

Although I like Kotipelto over Kakko

Requiem progressive power metal (more melodic indeed :p)

If you like a little bit Death Metal, then listen Death (the band) their last works were a little proggressive orientated...

Savatage is Heavy progressive... You might like it as well...

I would add Pink Floyd to this list, definitely.

IF you are OK with much, much softer, more minimalistic work, I'd also suggest the last 2 albums by Talk Talk, which are entitled Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock. They ARE NOT metal...not by a long shot. I imagine that if anyone else here knows who they are, it would be quite amusing just how UN-metal they are. But I respect them just as much as I would someone like Opeth or Symphony X. If you have very broad tastes in music, they are worth consideration.

karelrulez said:
yeah my mom likes them. a bit too 80's for me though.

Which albums were you listening to, though? If it was Colour of Spring, It's My Life, or The Party's Over, I can understand where you're getting that.

Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock are a complete break from that, though. At least to my ear.

Colour of Spring is the album that bridges the two styles of Talk Talk.

Armada is a good one
Pagan's Mind - good but reply a little too much one hitting the same power chord over and over from time to time
Galloglass - awesomness
Gamma Ray - Kia Hansen :worship:
Of course Edguy and Avantasia
don't forget your Blind Guardian
oh yeah and... Dungeon
one more thing... Black Majesty

AND... Exhibition