Recommend a passive 7 string pickup for tight rhythms?

Keregioz

Kimon Zeliotis
Aug 31, 2001
Athens, Greece
Visit site
Hey guys, so what I'm looking for is a tight rhythm tone with emg81-ish sharp attack on the palm mutes. So far I've tried duncan JB, dimarzio crunchlab and emg707 but they all sounded pretty muddy for my liking. The emg707 is kinda ok but still not quite what I'm after.

I've heard good things about the duncan distortion which I'm looking into. Do you have any other suggestions for a passive pickup?

The guitar I'll use it on is a carvin dc747 with swamp ash body.

Duncan Nazgul/Sentient might work for you. They were created for Keith Merrow's signature Schecter, which actually has a swamp ash body. Very dry and tight attack.

If your budget allows it, I would suggest a BKP Holy Diver or a ceramic magnet Warpig. Those are exceptionally well suited for alder and ash. Another excellent option would be a Lundgren M7, but this is really quite expensive.

If your budget allows it, I would suggest a BKP Holy Diver or a ceramic magnet Warpig. Those are exceptionally well suited for alder and ash. Another excellent option would be a Lundgren M7, but this is really quite expensive.

I have no budget for that unfortunately. Ideally, I'm hoping to trade one of the pickups I already have (crunchlab and JB).

One of the guitarists in my band picked up the Keith Merrow sig. I'm really digging the sound of the Nazgul. Very articulate and tight response.

The guitar I'll use it on is a carvin dc747 with swamp ash body.

I've have that exact guitar. Mine is with a maple neck and fretboard. I have a DiMarzio Illuminator 7 in the bridge and a Ionizer 7 in the neck. I think that my guitar has a very tight tone. However, I tune to B-F#-B-E-A-C#-F#. I had a Tone Zone 7 in the bridge before the Illuminator and it was horrible. Good thing DiMarzio has an awesome exchange plan. Heck, just call over there at tech support and tell them what you're looking for. They're very helpful and have never steered me wrong.

Just thinking about it, but have a look at the DiMarzio D Activator 7. Looks like it has everything that you're looking for in a passive pickup.

sorry I didn't read about the crunchlab part, then I suggest everything s.d. from the distortion up (but actually now, after years of distortion, ola englund is supporting the sh5, which has slighly less output, and he can obviously obtain great sounds).
I have a s.d. distortion on a guitar and it sounds very balanced and pleasant; among the s.d. i would maybe only unsuggest the pegasus (too mid-rangey and weak to make metal without a strong boost) and the invader (too much output for the level of definition I need for a tight high gain tone).
This said, a jb is the opposite of my definition of "muddy", it is pretty sharp, so if you can try to describe better your idea of "muddy" :D

This said, a jb is the opposite of my definition of "muddy", it is pretty sharp, so if you can try to describe better your idea of "muddy" :D

Nope, it's muddy, at least in my guitar, or maybe the 7string version is different than the 6 string. I need to cut a significant amount of low end from the signal (plus use an overdrive pedal) before it hits the amp to get a tight rhythm tone.

Avoid Dimarzio......
Duncans all the way..... dimarzio's are so muddy, duncan's are much tighter
Bare knuckle for a modern sound
That's utter bullshit. You're speaking from inexperience. Drop a Dimarzio Super 2 into your guitar and tell me it's muddy. I've owned and played about every model they have, except for some of the newer models. I had a Super 2 in my mahogany Gibson Les Paul and it turned that dark guitar into just the right sound.

That's utter bullshit. You're speaking from inexperience. Drop a Dimarzio Super 2 into your guitar and tell me it's muddy. I've owned and played about every model they have, except for some of the newer models. I had a Super 2 in my mahogany Gibson Les Paul and it turned that dark guitar into just the right sound.

Calm down dude!
Inexperience.... lol give me a break
That's my opinion he asked about our opinion and I just expressed mine

Calm down dude!
Inexperience.... lol give me a break
That's my opinion he asked about our opinion and I just expressed mine
I'm calm, dude. Just addressing your bullshit opinion. You made a sweeping generalization which is a good indicator that you have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm calm, dude. Just addressing your bullshit opinion. You made a sweeping generalization which is a good indicator that you have no idea what you're talking about.

You're such an arrogant person, you don't even know me in person and assume I don't know shit....
how do you know my level of knowledge about pickups????
I never never talked aggressively as you did, you just felt attacked by my opinion and just wanted to argue.
Next time remember that in life nobody has your very same opinion

You're such an arrogant person, you don't even know me in person and assume I don't know shit....
how do you know my level of knowledge about pickups????
I never never talked aggressively as you did, you just felt attacked by my opinion and just wanted to argue.
Next time remember that in life nobody has your very same opinion
Okay, sure.

Avoid Duncans......
Dimarzio all the way..... duncan's are so muddy, dimarzio's are much tighter