recommend pianists or composers

dethfire

May 28, 2003
hey all, recommend me some of your favorite composers, pianists and some great pieces. I like stuff with high energy, catchy melodies and that are "moving", can be classical or modern, thanks!

Glenn Gould is my favorite classical pianist.

Composers Avant Gard try Ligeti, Messaien, Stockhausen, Arvo Part.

I enjoy Tchaichovsky, Bach, Mozart, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Pachelbel, Palestrina, Stravinsky, Holst.

I really am enjoying Mahlers Symphony No 8 (or symphony of a thousand) at present.

Beethoven- Symphonies 5 and 9

Berlioz- Symphonie Fantastique

Schumann- Symphonies 1 and 3, concerto for piano

Borodin- String quartet #2, symphony 2

JS Bach- Toccata and Fugue in D minor for Organ

Dvorak- Symphonies 8 and 9, concerto for cello

Mendelssohn- Symphony 4

R. Strauss- Also Sprach Zarathustra, Till Eulenspiegel

Mussorgsky- Pictures at an Exhibition

Bruckner- Symphony 9

Sibelius- Finlandia, Symphony 2

Holst- Rig Veda

Wagner- Der Ring des Nibelungen

Vivaldi- Four Seasons

Haydn- Symphonies 94 and 101

Schubert- Symphony 9

Brahms- Symphonies 1, 3, 4 and Piano Concerto 2

Demiurge said:
Beethoven- Symphonies 5 and 9

Berlioz- Symphonie Fantastique

Schumann- Symphonies 1 and 3, concerto for piano

Borodin- String quartet #2, symphony 2

JS Bach- Toccata and Fugue in D minor for Organ

Dvorak- Symphonies 8 and 9, concerto for cello

Mendelssohn- Symphony 4

R. Strauss- Also Sprach Zarathustra, Till Eulenspiegel

Mussorgsky- Pictures at an Exhibition

Bruckner- Symphony 9

Sibelius- Finlandia, Symphony 2

Holst- Rig Veda

Wagner- Der Ring des Nibelungen

Vivaldi- Four Seasons

Haydn- Symphonies 94 and 101

Schubert- Symphony 9

Brahms- Symphonies 1, 3, 4 and Piano Concerto 2
Whew. Good list. I'll just add a few.

JS Bach - Brandenburg Concertos

Mussorgsky - Night On Bald Mountain

Grieg - Peer Gynt Suites

Holst - The Planets

Mendelssohn - The Hebrides Overture

Gershwin - Summertime, Rhapsody In Blue

Copland - Rodeo, Appalachian Spring

Stravinsky - Rite Of Spring, Petrushka, The Firebird Suite [NOTE: Beware. Lots of dissonance, so the melodies are hard to pick out.]

Saint-Saens - Carnival of the Animals, Danse Macabre

Mahler - Symphonies 5 and 8

Debussy - La Mer

Iannis Xenakis - Orestaiea
It's the only CD off him I got, and it's pretty good. It's supposed to be the soundtrack of a Greek play. He worked with Messiaen at some point in time. He dabbles around with electronics and other unconventional sounds while using calculus and probability to compose some tunes.

Arnold Schoenberg - Op 11, Op 19, Op 33a and 33b, Op 23, Op 25
This is really dissonant music. Weird chords all over the place and no real key being presented in the pieces. Schoenberg used dodecatonism, which he makes use of all 12 notes of the Western Chromatic Scale. Try it, it may not be the catchiest classical music you'll ever listen to but it's still good stuff.

It doesn't seem like there's anything I can contribute that hasn't already been mentioned. These lists are more than comprehensive.

Still, I would like to second J.S. Bach's "Toccata & Fugue in D minor," and would also like to recommend Bach's "Triosonate in E flat major."

Beyond that, Mozart's "Requiem," and Beethoven's "9th Symphony."

In regards to the avantgarde variety, I would STRONGLY recommend Stockhausen's work.

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
Arnold Schoenberg - Op 11, Op 19, Op 33a and 33b, Op 23, Op 25
This is really dissonant music. Weird chords all over the place and no real key being presented in the pieces. Schoenberg used dodecatonism, which he makes use of all 12 notes of the Western Chromatic Scale. Try it, it may not be the catchiest classical music you'll ever listen to but it's still good stuff.
Schoenberg is awesome. Totally dissonant, yet strangely musical. People need to continue fooling with serialism to see if tonality can be alluded to as an aural illusion within the 12-tone atonal insanity.

dethfire said:
I like stuff with high energy, catchy melodies and that are "moving", can be classical or modern, thanks!
I second the recommendation for Borodin, and also recommend Liszt since he hasn't been mentioned.

Brahms' "A German Requiem" hasn't been recommended yet, surprisingly. The first movement is probably the most moving piece of music I've ever heard.

Int said:
And Rimsky-Korsakov!

Yep, good ol' Nikolai.

Russian classical music > *

Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Rachmaninov, Mussorsky etc etc.

Anonymousnick: isn't it "A Night on a Bare Mountain"? Tis what I've always heard it as anyroad.

polarity said:
Brahms' "A German Requiem" hasn't been recommended yet, surprisingly. The first movement is probably the most moving piece of music I've ever heard.

I am currently downloading it off you in the hub
icon14.gif