Recommendations

BoF

Sep 20, 2002
Denmark
Visit site
Hi again :)

:confused:
I wondered if you know any cool bands which I haven't heard of, and wether you would recommend them to me? I already enjoy the music of the following:

Autumblaze
Jeff Buckley
Charon
Entwine
Him
Lake of Tears
Moonspell
My Dying Bride
Opeth
Danse Macabre
The 69 eyes
To/die/for
Tool and a lot lot more.....
I really hope you know some cool bands I can give a try and listen to :)

BTW: I of course already know all Katatonia related e.g. Bloodbath, October Tide and Diabolical Masquerade and Worlds Make Even <-----anyone who knows what's happening to them? have they died after he became a full member of Katatonia?

see you soon:)

At first tell me, who is Worlds make even???
Ok here are a few ones for you ;)

Rapture - you need to check them out, if you love Brave murder day you'll love them too.

The Loveless - Star Rover (i've not yet checked it out but it is supposed to be very good)

Songs:Ohia - get everything you can from them ;)

Kent - we've been speaking about 'em in an earlier thread, just check them out, dunno if it meets your taste.

That's it for the moment ;)

yes, i know the names you mentioned. i think you guessed my faves are opeth.

please, dedicate your soul to these:

porcupine tree
pink floyd
dan swano & all things related to [nightingale, for example]
devin townsend

...and let's stop here.

someone care to give me a brief intro to songs:eek:hia? i've heard you guys say how great they are... could you point me somewhere i could hear a few songs or such? thanks :)

Ok, Songs:Ohia consists mainly of Singer/Songwriter Jason Molina. He does the singing and the guitar. On his records he mainly has other guest musicians playing along with him.
There was a great site called www.songsohia.com which has now been put down :(

You can check out the discography through his label "Secretly Canadian" on the following
site:

www.secretlycanadian.com/secretlycanadian/songsohia/

He's on tour at the moment with Damien Jurado who is also very worth checking out! So you, living in one of the mentioned places consider yourself happy, i'd love to see this band:cry:

As of mp3s i can only recommend the p2p program "Kazaa", there you'll find a few songs ;)
or go here:

www.epitonic.com/artists/songsohia.html

Hope that was of any use for you :)

Mid Autumn Nights

An Israeli doom band, its all keyboards and drums with some very few guitar works very melodic, dark and sad, one of the best releases from israel...

Lets plug some more israeli bands :)

Bishop Of Hexen

Atmospheric black metal from israel, melodic and dark, got a doomish feel, here's a link with some songs to download by them: http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/465/bishop_of_hexen.html

Cant think of anymore bands to recommend right now... Please let me know what you think of them... :)

Check out THE TEA PARTY!!! One of my alltime favourite bands. I recommend "The Edges Of Twilight" and the follow-up "Transmission".

The Loveless - Star Rover (i've not yet checked it out but it is supposed to be very good)

I can only second that. If you enjoy Entwine, HIM and To/Die/For you will love this album.

Also, check out the following bands/albums:

• Agalloch - Pale Folklore & The Mantle (melodic mid-tempo black metal in the vein of Ulver and early Katatonia. A must-have)

• Amber Street - Broad View Gardens (Dark alterntive rock, impossible to label. Try e-bay, you should get it literally for free because nobody knows/remembers this great band

• Antimatter - Saviour (trip-hop in the vein of Portishead & Co. , but darker and with more guitars)

• Beseech - Black Emotions & Souls Highway (similar to Lake Of Tears or Lacuna Coil)

I could go on and on and on...but it would take forever until I get to the end of the alphabet so I'm gonna stop here :)

Now that you've all confused the poor soul,

Check out Saturnus, Anathema and Novembre.

you've probably heard of Anathema, but if you haven't they're an absolute phenomenon.

As are Saturnus, the most underrated band in the world. Gothic/dark atmospheres, with spoken word and growled vocals.. incredible.

And, of course, the might NOVEMBRE!!! The third greatest band after Katatonia and Anathema.

I've just downloaded the song " Steve Albini's Blues" by Songs:Ohia and I like it very much.
I don't know why, but it reminds me a lot of " This punishment"...
Now I think I really must get at least one of their albums !

Originally posted by ether
I've just downloaded the song " Steve Albini's Blues" by Songs:Ohia and I like it very much.
I don't know why, but it reminds me a lot of " This punishment"...
Now I think I really must get at least one of their albums !

Do that ;)

The Matthew Good Band is a band that I think Katatonia fans might really enjoy. He writes some of the best lyrics I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Great songs by them are:

"Middle Class Gangsters"
"Everything Is Automatic"
"Hello Time Bomb"
"Strange Days"

I believe Matthew Good is against Mp3's, so you will have to find their Mp3's on a P2P network. I found all of his songs on WinMX.

www.matthewgood.net (Official Site, but is under contruction)
www.runningforhome.net (fan-site)