Recovery & Feedback

Rider of Theli

The Hellequin
Mar 1, 2004
Hiram, Ga
myspace.com
Please post your thoughts about the fest here. I'll be back later in the day to edit my post with my own review. Thanks to everyone who could make it out to enjoy the show this weekend! YOU RULE!!!

:kickass:

\m/

Definitely one the best show cases i have played/ seen.
I just woke up. :p

Day 1 was sick!
Alas; Tyranny rocked it out with their brutal set and cover of Blind Guardian's Valhalla. When i heard them start that, i went nuts. haha.
Oblivion Myth was great as always, even w/ just one guitar player it was great, they pulled it off very well.
Eternal Hour sucked, except for that badass bass player from VOR.
Zephaniah was the highlight of Day 1 (no disrespect to any of the other bands). With their super complex speed/ power metal riffs, it blew me away. they are all awesome guys too. Hopefully they will play more shows here. They invited us to go play a show with them in Indiana sometime, and it will happen...eventually. haha.

Day 2 was just as awesome, if not a little more. :D
VOR kicked off the show amazingly. The guys in VOR are some of the coolest guys ive ever met, and one of my favorite local bands. I give props to Rob for playing 2 nights in a row w/o missing a beat on either nights. Thanks for filling in for us!
A Lower Deep was great. The sound was tight and the vocals were awesome.
After A Lower Deep came Halcyon Way. ;) I love Sean Shields, his voice is awesome, and he sang guest vocals for us on more than one occasion with my band, BUT Steve Braun definitely filled the spot VERY nicely! I sang along to all the songs. (today i have no voice) lol. When they played Stand Up and Shout by Steel Dragon (from the movie Rock Star) Everyone went nuts. I even got to scream in the mic!
Twisted Tower Dire was a nice surprise, i had never listened to them and when i heard that dude wail, i was like woah. haha.
And then ASKA!!! Freaking awesome! They played a long set filled with GREAT 80s style metal riffs and soulful metal vocals. Their look reminded me of Judas Priest, more specifically (3 KK downings.) haha. I loved it. I enjoyed every song in their set!

GREAT SHOW HOYT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cant wait till CAGE Next year!!!

The Pathfinder Metalfest was indeed a huge success! The crowd was amazing all weekend. My highlights were definitely Zephaniah on Night 1...one of the best live bands I have ever seen. Oh yeah, and that band Eternal Hour....those dudes totally shred (except for the bass player..heh). Night 2 was all about Halcyon Way and ASKA for me. Steve sounded amazing in his debut vocal performance...I felt like I was at Philips Arena watching HW's performance..they definitely go all out with the stage show. ASKA was incredible...true metal messiahs. George Call has an amazing voice...totally original. Can't wait for CAGE!!!!!

::happy dance::

that was the awesome

yeah, i can't really specify more than that, as an overall commentary - but there are a few specifics for The Su:

@VOR - seriously kick-ass!

@Steve Braun - totally takes HW to a whole new level :headbang:

@ASKA - :worship: - and such nice guys, too! :)

can't wait for May! :):):)

Was only there Saturday night:

VOR: Very pleasantly surprised. Not really into the Prog stuff that much, but everything they did was well-excuted and some of the melodies/harmonies were exceptional. Really dug "Rescue Me!"

A LOWER DEEP: First time seeing them. Not really my thing music wise, but I was very impressed with Billy's vocals. Didn't know he had it in him!

HALCYON WAY: I'm a litte torn on this one. Overall the performance was great and you could tell they were firing on all cylinders. Very fun and energetic set. I feel that the new singer was lacking some of Sean's power. The vocals were good, but not great to me. Over time I expect it will get better or grow on me. Like I said though, vocals aside, the set was GREAT. Best of the night for me.

TWISTED TOWER DIRE: One of my biggest draws for the night. A little disappointed in the set list, but not disappointed at all in the performance. Great band and a ton of fun!

ASKA: Didn' t know much about them coming in. Pleasantly surprised again. Definite professionals!

I had a great time!!!
I enjoyed the bands
I enjoyed the fest
Hoyt please keep doing this
I am a big fan of Halcyon Way and i was there for every band both days

Hoyt, your a damn hero for putting this on, and feel priviledged to have been a small part of the Pathfinder legacy the past few years. I don't think newbies who come in from out of town know what you had to do to make this happen, and if they did they would appreciate all the more.

What he said!!!

And now for something completely different...

Alas, Tyranny
It was their first time on stage, they were what they were. I would say not bad.

Oblivion Myth
The last time I saw them at The Local I was unimpressed. Since then, everything has changed except the guitarist. Wow, I couldn't believe this was the same band. Well, actually it wasn't. They blew me away.

Eternal Hour
Not bad, except for that douchebag bass player (jk), who's dad was he? Not really my thing.

Zephaniah
I was looking forward to them and they did not disappoint! Wow, great way to end the first night.

VOR
Great set as always. They never disappoint, until you meet them.

A Lower Deep
Their new drummer has really stepped up their game, and it was good seeing Tim's new hair style. They have gotten tighter and put on a great set.

Halcyon Way
This is the first time I've seen them with Steve, and the guy's got some pipes! It's obvious now who the weak link was. This is the best I've seen them.

Twisted Tower Dire
Generic. I lost interest halfway through.

Aska
Holy shit! My only complaint was the Metallica cover. They asked if we wanted to hear new Metallica or old Metallica. How about NO METALLICA? I wish I could have enjoyed more of their set, but I had a splitting headache (I did stay til the end though). Hopefully we'll see them again.

Dude, loved watching you guys shred! You make me sick that after my 20 + years playing metal music, I still can't touch you guys!:lol:

:D thanks man!!! I really appreciate it. I really enjoyed your set on saturday, i knew almost all the words and was singing as loud as i could (even if if was just nonsense cuz i didnt know a couple songs too well. haha) Great choice with Steve too, he's great! fits in very nicely. We need to hook up a show together sometime, i was bummed when we our October 10th show w/ you guys fell through.

as a lover of all music and especially metal, i thought all of the bands contributed nicely to the show. Only thing that would've made it that much more awesome wouldve been.... an EBS reunion. hahaha. i wish... just not with nathan. bahahahahahahahahahahahah.

For us, it was a great show and a great experience - well worth the 11 hour drive. It was only through a series of cancellations that we ended up as the unexpected 'headliner'. It was an honor for us to be there, but we would have gladly supported any other band in our position. Thanks to everyone who stuck around to watch us and hang out after the show (especially Alas, Tyranny and Eternal Hour). Regardless of what was previously said, we saw and talked with many band members who showed up for both days of the festival to enjoy the other acts.

Coming from a pretty bland local music scene, it was very nice to meet and play with so many quality bands. We would like to invite all of you to Fort Wayne to join us for a show, anytime! Pathfinder is doing great things, not only for the Atlanta area, but for bands like ours everywhere. These shows give all of us some much-needed connections in other areas of the country, making it easier to cross-promote and set up tours, so we should all be thankful for being a part of it!

Thanks!
Ian Bender
Zephaniah/Bassist

Eternal Hour
Not bad, except for that douchebag bass player (jk), who's dad was he? Not really my thing.

lol. Rob is the bassist for VOR, he was just filling in for us since our bassist quit. I'm so glad we got to play with him though, he's a great bass player, and a really cool guy.

lol. Rob is the bassist for VOR, he was just filling in for us since our bassist quit. I'm so glad we got to play with him though, he's a great bass player, and a really cool guy.

:lol:
Yea, I was just taking shots at Rob. It was funny seeing a 40 y/o bass player in your band though.

It's been nice watching the local prog/power scene grow though. When I first went to one of Hoyt's shows it was at this bar on the south end of town. Halcyon Way and Theocracy played. Don't remember the rest. I think there were about 15 people. Fast forward 3 years and he's able to consistently book shows, draw bands from out of town, and not lose his ass each and every time (I hope not!). It has grown a lot.

It's been nice watching the local prog/power scene grow though. When I first went to one of Hoyt's shows it was at this bar on the south end of town. Halcyon Way and Theocracy played. Don't remember the rest. I think there were about 15 people. Fast forward 3 years and he's able to consistently book shows, draw bands from out of town, and not lose his ass each and every time (I hope not!). It has grown a lot.

This! And hoping they will grow larger as time moves forward.

Yea, I was just taking shots at Rob. It was funny seeing a 40 y/o bass player in your band though.

haha yea, our last bass player looked older than rob. :p but he was only like 25 or something. good bass player though. hard to find musicians our age that like the same music we do and play the same way. ya know?

Sorry, Mr. Golden, and any others who didn't enjoy the show! Obviously, you can't please everyone. Thanks anyways for attending and supporting Hoyt and everyone involved with Pathfinder Promotions!

For us, it was a great show and a great experience - well worth the 11 hour drive. It was only through a series of cancellations that we ended up as the unexpected 'headliner'. It was an honor for us to be there, but we would have gladly supported any other band in our position. Thanks to everyone who stuck around to watch us and hang out after the show (especially Alas, Tyranny and Eternal Hour). Regardless of what was previously said, we saw and talked with many band members who showed up for both days of the festival to enjoy the other acts.

Coming from a pretty bland local music scene, it was very nice to meet and play with so many quality bands. We would like to invite all of you to Fort Wayne to join us for a show, anytime! Pathfinder is doing great things, not only for the Atlanta area, but for bands like ours everywhere. These shows give all of us some much-needed connections in other areas of the country, making it easier to cross-promote and set up tours, so we should all be thankful for being a part of it!

Thanks!
Ian Bender
Zephaniah/Bassist

if going to fort wayne, just stay away from the pool hall! they like to fight there too much! *winkwink* actually i heard it was that crappy NC metal core band that instigated the whole thing anyway!

Aska
Holy shit! My only complaint was the Metallica cover. They asked if we wanted to hear new Metallica or old Metallica. How about NO METALLICA? I wish I could have enjoyed more of their set, but I had a splitting headache (I did stay til the end though). Hopefully we'll see them again.

haha, i thought when they did the metallica song in sound-check it was for fun. their original stuff smokes so much more. although my feet (which are already messed up) started to hurt after an hour of their set. i will give them props for being a true metal machine! plus it had to be hot as hell in that vinyl and leather!!

Hey! For the record i'm only 35...:Smug: I think for my next show i'm going to wear only chainmail, inject my face with botox and leave the needles in (totally metal), play a 47 string bass made of leather, all while doing flips on a trampoline with a headset mic like Kip Winger for background vocals :lol: