Reformating is a PITA!!!!

kellsco

Jan 3, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Visit site
Picked up some nasty Malware from who knows where. spywareguard 2008. ugh. You find and get ride of one file and it mutates into another. I can't figure out how it got through the firewall and all the scans I have on this PC, but it did. Prolly some dumb move on my part I'm sure. Had to wipe out everything and start anew.

That's the easy part, it's backing up all the files, reinstalling all my gadgets and downloading all the programs again that takes FOREVER! What a way to spend my weekend. :cry:

Just did that earlier this month myself..never had to deal with anything buggy in my 'puter before so it's been most disturbing. To add insult to injury, half the files I backed up have somehow vanished, so I lost a ton of irreplaceable stuff. :(

Picked up some nasty Malware from who knows where. spywareguard 2008. ugh. You find and get ride of one file and it mutates into another. I can't figure out how it got through the firewall and all the scans I have on this PC, but it did. Prolly some dumb move on my part I'm sure. Had to wipe out everything and start anew.

That's the easy part, it's backing up all the files, reinstalling all my gadgets and downloading all the programs again that takes FOREVER! What a way to spend my weekend. :cry:

I have extensive experience in removing these bastard programs. Usually you have to find the exe, the dll, and also remove them from your registry, as well as your startup in msconfig. A reload here + apps is a 6 hour ordeal, but yeah, I've thrown in the towell and reformatted on a couple of occasions....
If it happens again, pm me or e-mail me & I'll see if I can help you avoid the reformat.

Computer tip: Partition your hard drive into 2 logical drives, store the operating system on one partition and your media files on the other. That way, when you have to format, it's virtually painless. I format my system once every few months.

J-Dubya...will do. I found many files related to this, but I tried several times and never could find the actual exe file. I googled this malware and looked every place people had said they found it. *shrugs* After about 5 hours of trying this and that, looking here and there, and finding it back in places I'd already removed it from....I threw up my hands and got out the portable hard drive and started removing files..

I do have my OS on a seperate partition. Thank God. I'd really be bugged if I had to deal with that.

Just had to rebuild my main computer because of some malware about 2 weeks ago. Not fun. Took about a whole day to get it back to normal. Symantec AV found the malware but no matter what I couldn't kill it. Thought I killed it, but I also killed the desktop. OOPS. There goes Windoze :cry:

Ugh.... this time around on my computer I installed NOSCRIPT in Firefox, plus installed malware killers such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Hopefully NEXT time around I'll be ready.

Like Kellsco, I have a partition just for the OS, so when it got hosed I wasn't completely dead in the water. :)

Also installed a new hard drive in the SO's computer today. I started the project back in MARCH but didn't finish. Decided to finish the job today. Already had the main OS and drivers installed, but had to install everything else. Took me all damn day!

Even if you know what you're doing and have the right tools (such as HiJack This), you can't always get it. Sometimes I've been lucky, sometimes not.

Yep, I'll admit to losing a few battles. The more you see the better you get at dealing with them. I have to take care of a whole office full of people who sometimes seem to catch everything that's out there. :)