Remember when? THINKABOWDIT #4

tedvanfrehley

Your Favorite Uncle
May 28, 2003
the bluegrass state
Visit site
Calling all old school guys and gals!!!!!!!! Here's one that I thought might be a little fun for the oldschoolers to think about and the youngun's to learn about............ A lot has changed since some of us got into metal. Bands have come and gone. Some great, some shitty. So have the styles, and so have our lives as we know 'em! So what are some of your favorite 80's metal memories that make you long for days gone by???? Step right up and show your age, and as always......THINKABOWDIT!!!!!!!

Here are some of my favorite memories of growing up metal:

Parachute Pants!

MTV actually playing MUSIC VIDEOS and seeing bands like Def Leppard, Twisted Sister, Motley Crue and Ratt for the first time!

JUMP, PANAMA, and HOT FOR TEACHER videos in heavy rotation

Headbanger's Ball

Ordering band's t-shirts through ads in magazines because you couldn't go to the mall and get 'em! (somehow the wait made them more special)

THE ARCADE!!!!!!!!!!! There was no playstation back then boys and girls! You wanted to play games you had to drop some quarters!

"experimenting"

SMOKING IN THE BOYS ROOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what are your memories!?!?!?!

I liked the old school posters...
The Maiden Artwork...
Powerslave....
Life Aftre Death...
Somewhere In Time....
Had all three.
Also the Lita Ford Poster with Lita nude with merely here BC Rich guitar
covering her private areas....
That one hing on the ceiling.
Back patches where cool too!
Had Metallica Master of Puppets & also Shout at the Devil...
How about those imported picture discs?!
Motley Crue, Metallica, Motorhead, fuck those were old school!
The Power 30 on Much Music, to me was "better" than HBB, for the simple fact that, they played all sorts of stuff. I was hearing Venom on there, which is something that
MTV NEVER played! Celtic Frost(not the Cherry Orchards era either!) & also Voivod, I'm not a fan of theirs, but it was something different that I hadn't heard & better than seeing Bon Jovi on a "metal" show or maybe even "Faster Pussface."
Remember those old baseball jearseys? I liked them too...
But enough about me, what about you?!

80's...I'm 38 now so I was fully in them in my teenager years...

long hair...
beer...
3 party's a week...
Heavy Metal, loud as it could be...
Stupid school...
Fun at school ....
Grandma...(rip)
Writing bands iso sending emails...
(and most of them writing back)
C64 gaming...
First albums of all them great bands...
Gimme all your lovin' ...
6-pack belly...
tight jeans & patches
(I had some Venom-Slayer-Satan-Diamond Head-Anvil on)
All Stars...
Stared at that flying V in the local music shop for houres
(& never got to playing guitar)...
Sulfeet (band I was in)...
etc,etc ..... \m/

aaaahhhh the 80's! Good times.

Checkerboard Vans shoes, - I must have went through 5 pairs of those things!

Trying to score beer from anyone that could buy!

Discovering Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Testament, Savatage, Flotsom and Jetsam, Exodus, Trouble, Metal Church, Etc.!

Seeing concerts at the Aragon Ballroom (Brawlroom) in downtown Chicago and getting the cool whip bowls filled with beer! Anybody that was there in the 80's knows what I am talking about. :kickass:

My buddy having a car called an Omega, and we renamed it the Omegadeth!

Driving around with friends just thrashing out in the car. Just like a scene out of Wayne's World!

My 1985 Fiero. I loved that car. It had a shitload of problems but it was a blast to drive with a 6 cylinder engine in it.

One of my bud's band having practice in a Dominos pizza store. Fucking crazy!

Getting together on Satuday nights to watch the Ball and SNL.

Alot of good times, always something going on it seemed.

My favorite memories:

1) Going to college with a huge mane and spikes
2) Going to the store to buy vinyls by weight :lol:
3) A great rock program "Rockanlocuras" on Radio 1 (105.7 FM) Saturdays 13-14:00
4) MTV playing metal on ordinary rotation
5) MTV "Headbangers Ball" with Rikki Ratchman
6) No silly tags, only Heavy Metal
7) US 83 Festival, second day
8) No Internet
9) Hit Parader and Circus mag actually cover metal
10) Kiss lost their makeup
11) Scream for me Long Beach!

The Mullet!!!!

Maiden and Priest touring every year. :headbang:

and hands down, the 80's Metal Chicks...the leather mini skirt, teased hair, spikes... Yeah Baby!! :D

and in 82' my buddy handing me a cassette of Kill em' All and almost shitting my pants hearing Seek and Destroy.

The Headbanger's Ball with Rikki Rachtman.
Listening to Metal Shop (the only show with teeth-haha!) on the weekends and
recording the metal songs on cassettes.
Listening to my vinyls like Priest, Metal Church, Dark Angel, Possesed and so on!
Going to see Dio, Ozzy with Metallica on the Ultimate Sin Tour, along with Van Halen
or Van Hagar and Iron Maiden at the now defunct Market Square Arena as a teen.
Going to this awesome and sadly defunct record store in Anderson called A-1 records
and picking up stuff from Exciter,SOD, Nuclear Assault, Whiplash, Life Sentence, Overkill, Hirax and so on Plus getting some killer Tee's like Slayer and Venom from that
store also.
Working at McDonalds my junior and senior year and by being a closer on the weekends
I usually got to party with the older crowd!!
Also going to Muncie to this place called the No Bar And Grill eating White Castles drinking Jolt cola and watching bands like old COC, Post Mortem, Crumbsuckers, Big Black(maybe?),Modern Vending, Steve Stilletto and The Fruit Flys, Scratch Acid, Cro-Mags and
so on!

I miss when everything as just "metal!" Now we have:

Doom metal
Power metal
Black metal
Thrash metal
Death metal
Grind metal
Stoner metal
Nu metal
Goth metal
Gore metal
Hair metal
Blackened thrash
Animal cracker metal
Meth infused metal
Speed metal
Car metal
Biker metal
Fire Hydrant metal
Cookie metal
Underwater Viking metal

Fuck labels... blahhh!!!!

Ah, the '80s. My heyday. Here's some my metal memories:
  • That day in March, 1982 when my radio told me Randy Rhoads was dead.
  • Printing LONG LIVE BACKWARD MESSAGES on the back of my Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast shirt just to piss off the Mormons. (story in archives on this board)
  • Ronnie James Dio + Tony Iommi + Geezer Butler + Bill Ward = HEAVEN, not HELL.
  • Being the "keg guy". I was always the best drunk driver so somehow I was always elected as the guy who had to go pick up the second kegger at our larger parties.
  • Buying Savatage's Dungeons Are Calling cassette and going HOLY SHIT!
  • Frying on mushrooms and finding hidden faces in the block of ice on the cover of Talas - High Speed on Ice.
  • Flotsam's four-speaker mini stack falling on my head at the Mason Jar in Phoenix. I only had four beers that night, but when I drove home I felt like I'd had eight.
  • Being "approached" by a horny Rob Halford (also at the Mason Jar).
  • Being pissed off when I had to watch Fates Warning in concert without Jon Arch behind the mic (No Exit tour).
  • Watching Tom Araya of Slayer get a security guard fired by refusing to go on with the show unless the man was removed from the building.
  • Partying backstage with Michael Schenker (wouldn't come out of his dressing room because he was coked&paranoid), Mitch Perry (Talas), and Robin McCauly.
  • Good times with my best friend Lorenzo and our dead buddy Neil.

zeppelin said:
Please tell us more, what did he say to you? Sounds like a funny event :loco:
The funny part was I didn't even know he might've been hitting on me until AFTER the fact.

It was during a metal show, but I can't remember the band for the life of me. I was pretty buzzed that night! I was standing at the back of the bar jammin' to the tunes and in walks Mr. Halford, along with two bodyguards. (I found out later that he never went anywhere in public without bodyguards because it was not long after he "came out" and alot of idiots wanted to bring physical harm on the Metal God). They sat down at their reserved table just a few feet away.

I saw him looking at me, because I was staring at him. I couldn't believe I was in a dive bar with the legendary Rob Halford! Our eye contact may have given him the wrong impression.

Later in the night he and his goons walked right past me and he stopped and asked my name and where I was from, said he hadn't seen me in The Jar before. I had no sooner answered him then the band started a new song and it was just too fucking loud to carry on a conversation. Looking back it kinda pisses me off that the band interrupted my one brush with a metal god. But at the time it was kind of a relief because I was so star-struck that I probably would've come off sounding like a retard (in which case Rob might've passed me off to his drummer).

Anyway, he went back to his table and I went back to jammin to the band. It wasn't until after the show that my buddy pointed out that he thought Mr. Halford was interested in me. I asked him what he meant. That's when he dropped the bombshell that the man was gay and I was probably exactly what he was looking for (I was 23 at the time, thin as a rail, and blonde hair halfway to my ass).

I still don't know for sure that he was hitting on me. But my buddy Doug believed he was!

Ahhhhh to recapture the long, lost youth!

Hitchhiking into Hollywood to hang out on Sunset Strip

Seeing now big time bands when they were still playing the bowling alleys and small clubs (W.A.S.P., Slayer, Motley Crue, Metallica)

Ripping the sleeves off of your denim vest to wear it over your must have black motorcycle jacket

Partying with Black Sabbath at the Rainbow and Don Arden's home.

Covering your Peechee folder with all the awesome metal band logos and lyrics

Don Kirshner's TV Rock Show ( I may be off a couple years on this one)

Skateboard Jousting and not feeling the pain. (like ya do now!)

The first day MTV ever aired

Cruising with my sister down "E" street and drinking Bacardi & Aspen

Partying in the Colusiem parking lots during major Arena concerts

The U.S. Festival (greatest concert ever!!)

Tape trading and nobody cared!

Paying about $23 dollars to see 5 top major acts at a show, no parking fees, cheap alcohol and $15 concert tees!

My room filled with posters of all the hot and fine looking metal guys! (I still
have most of these :oops: )

Getting your jeans so worn and shredded in all the right places!!

Turning 21!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im so fucking pissed i wasnt born around like '65 or something, being young just as the 80's began.......but yeah, you guys are lucky, growing up today sucks ass, theres no metal ANYWHERE in my town, all it is is people who only know metallica and CoB, thats it. Hence the people in my band for example, i dont know if im going to be a part of it anymore, because our drummer recruited a third guitarist, and so that makes us a 7-piece :yuk: idk, big bands just arent for me, 5-pieces are pushing it in MY book. anyways, im trying not to steal this thread :p so ill let you guys get back to reminiscing.........wish i could! :yell:

#1_Droogie said:
im so fucking pissed i wasnt born around like '65 or something, being young just as the 80's began.......but yeah, you guys are lucky, growing up today sucks ass, theres no metal ANYWHERE in my town, all it is is people who only know metallica and CoB, thats it. Hence the people in my band for example, i dont know if im going to be a part of it anymore, because our drummer recruited a third guitarist, and so that makes us a 7-piece :yuk: idk, big bands just arent for me, 5-pieces are pushing it in MY book. anyways, im trying not to steal this thread :p so ill let you guys get back to reminiscing.........wish i could! :yell:

I know your pain all too well. I was BORN in 1985, i didn't discover metal until 1998.:yell:

kittybeast said:
Droogie, Maiden does just fine with 3 guitarist... nothin wrong with that in my book.
i know I know, but the other guitarist isnt good at ALL, aaaaaaand they were giving him all the solos, and he thought he could write everything for the band, and his riffs were just plain shit. it was horrible, but yeah, im probably going to leave, it kinda sucks when most of the band is out to actually get a "metallica sound" i wanted to kick that kid when he said that, He's like "so guys, who are we trying to sound like here? i would like to sound like metallica" and i just fucking shook my head, its pathetic how stupid some people are, i mean yeah, Metallica was good back when, but i dont want to sound like them, I want to sound like myself, thats why i scrap riffs i write if theyre anything like somebody else, i strive to be unique. idk, its just me, I dont like big bands because theyre harder to book gigs with, and theres more of a chance for fights to break out in....idk, but I will agree, Maiden does fine with the Murray/Gers/Smith lineup :headbang:

Some of the times I forgot to add:

Keg parties, holy shit, this is when the police would come by and drink a beer with you. This was TEXAS after all....

Having beers with Pantera at "Backstage Club" in Houston. they came there about once a month and were just cool as shit to party with. Especially Dime, rest his soul, he was a fucking madman even back then.

Seeing concerts from the front row, sneaking up to that point of course, and smacking high fives with the band members....

Seeing many, and I mean MANY of the best bands in Metal in a club setting. For example, seeing Crimson Glory, and headbanging from the front row. I met Midnight earlier in the day and he was way cool. Watching the show that night, I was headbanging and so was he, we did this way to close and smacked heads in mid-bang. It dame near knocked both of us out, Midnight said over the mike, "you fucking madman!!" Then smiled, and belted out the rest of "Red Sharks". :headbang:

Good times....Damn Good Times... "DLR"